Finally, you can run Windows XP on Intel Mac
Mar 17, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #16 of 35
Whats next? putting american engines in japanese cars?
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2006 at 1:39 AM Post #17 of 35
OK so you can, but why would you want to?
The whole point of a Mac is to avoid the BS of Windows and run an OS that is elegant and intuitive.
confused.gif

CPW

Mar 17, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Ninja
Whats next? putting american engines in japanese cars?
biggrin.gif

A good friend of mine put a chevy smallblock v8 in a nissan mini truck with a turbo400 transmission. They had to cut a new tunnel and everything, but damn was that insane.

Mar 17, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #19 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by cpw
The whole point of a Mac is to avoid the BS of Windows and run an OS that is elegant and intuitive.
confused.gif

CPW

Same thing I was thinking
confused.gif

I can understand that the hardware is so much faster, but
the only reason I'd buy a Mac is because I happen to like OS X more than XP;
why mess with a good thing?

Mar 17, 2006 at 5:39 AM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
I guess someone wanted to see if they could get viruses and spyware on apple hardware...

But that's just because the Apple market share is so small that people don't waste time creating viruses for it, isn't it? I would think the equivelant statment would be putting the Mac OS on a pc and commenting on how limited the software selection is.

Mar 17, 2006 at 6:40 AM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by cpw
confused.gif

CPW

I want to run Windows on a Mac because I like the physical appearance of Apple's hardware design. Call me vain but I have a soft spot for eye candy. I'm willing to pay a little premium for a beautiful and intelligent PC design, but so far, Dell and others (Sony included) leave a lot to be desired.

Mar 17, 2006 at 5:58 PM Post #23 of 35
Another reason one might want to do this is to eliminate the need for multiple laptops. For instance, I have a Mac laptop, and much prefer it to the PC options available. However, for work-related tasks, I often need windows applications, which means that I need to have two computers at home. A Mac with a Windows partition would solve this problem for me, and I imagine there are others in the same boat.

Mar 17, 2006 at 7:01 PM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad
I can't see how.

Apple monopoly?
They are not the default platform of choice and they are not abusing of it.

Armor cracked?
That would be if MacOS X was running on PCs, not the other way around. This move only benefits to Apple.

Apple is a product of marketing and image positioning. PC isn't the 'default' platform - you can go buy a Mac if you want. There's choice. And guess what, the Apple OS *is* the default plaform of Macs. MacOS doesn't run on PC's *because of Apple*, not Microsoft or Intel controlling the world. Michael Dell has publicly stated that if Jobs were to allow MacOS on PC's, he'd gladly offer it to all Dell customers, but Jobs won't release it:

http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl...18241&from=rss

http://www.engadget.com/2005/06/16/m...-apple-inside/

Apple is keeping everything under their umbrella. Nothing gets out. If MacOS or Final Cut Pro were ported to PC guess what would happen? Nobody would buy overpriced Mac hardware because you could just install it on cheaper PC hardware. Apple knows this, so if you want their software, you *have* to buy their hardware...and pay the premium price. No choice. Software or Hardware upgrade? Buy from Apple, at whatever price they set. No choice.

Just because the Apple marketing machine paints themselves as Robin Hood doesn't mean it's true... Read more of my thoughts on them here:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...9&postcount=20

--Illah

Mar 17, 2006 at 7:03 PM Post #25 of 35
Apple not giving away their product doesn't make them a monopoly. Even if they won't let it run on other companies' computers.

Mar 17, 2006 at 11:20 PM Post #26 of 35
But forcing you to buy Apple hardware to run Apple software is. With PC's there is mad competition between Dell, Gateway, etc., or you can build your own. That's simply not an option with Apple. Apple purposely keeps all its products under one roof to force consumers to buy their hardware, which is in many ways inferior despite being more expensive. They can set whatever prices they want - if you want and are used to MacOS and you want an upgrade, there's no choice but to pay what Apple asks. No competition. No self-upgrading. Buy a new one.

--Illah

Mar 18, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula
But that's just because the Apple market share is so small that people don't waste time creating viruses for it, isn't it? I would think the equivelant statment would be putting the Mac OS on a pc and commenting on how limited the software selection is.

Almost true, but not quite. Viruses won't work on Apple (or any other Unix system) due to the memory protection. A process can't ever access the memory area of another process. A flaw of Windows has been carrying due to compatibility issues with their previous OS (although already partially patched).

However you can keep having trojan horses and worms. And you are right here as people don't bother that much on it. But still, a worm on Mac would work almost without modifications on any Linux and Unix machine in the world. And believe me, there are quite a few, even compared with Windows.

But still you have a very good point.

Mar 18, 2006 at 1:38 AM Post #29 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Illah
But forcing you to buy Apple hardware to run Apple software is. With PC's there is mad competition between Dell, Gateway, etc., or you can build your own. That's simply not an option with Apple. Apple purposely keeps all its products under one roof to force consumers to buy their hardware, which is in many ways inferior despite being more expensive. They can set whatever prices they want - if you want and are used to MacOS and you want an upgrade, there's no choice but to pay what Apple asks. No competition. No self-upgrading. Buy a new one.

--Illah

That is not monopoly. Please open any book of economy and look for the term "Monopoly". A situation in which a single company owns all or nearly all of the market for a given type of product or service.

Apple understand "The Mac" as hardware+software. They want to have controlled the hardware as this increases the stability of the software (same approved platforms). This is their approach and I see their point. I'm having a Mac and a PC. Last time I rebooted my Mac was before Xmas. Last time I rebooted my PC was this evening.

Nobody critizes BMW for not allowing KIA to host their engines. BMW understand engines and chassis as a whole and they sell the whole product. Nothing wrong with that.

Apple products are not that overpriced for what they are. I remember a lot of students on the UNIX community buying iBooks in order to install Debian because it was the best value-money laptop by far. Besides Apple has to get revenue for their MacOS development somehow, something DELL doesn't need to do.

BTW, Apple allowed clons for a while around 10 years ago. It didn't work out by then.

I'm not an Apple fanboy. I'm using Windows and Linux among other systems.

Mar 18, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
I guess someone wanted to see if they could get viruses and spyware on apple hardware...

No offense, but this comment seems so ignorant to me... The only reason there aren't more viruses and spyware that affect Macs is that they have such little market share that it wouldn't make sense to write a virus for Mac. One of the major goals of most viruses is to infect as many computers as possible. Attacking holes in windows security allows for mass distribution. Attacking security holes in OS X would automatically seriously restrict the spread of your virus... Same thing with spyware...

Of course the other issue is that Windows is designed to work with a much larger selection of hardware and software. If Windows was designed to only work with the limited hardware and software that Apple uses, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back