Finally XIN SuperMacro IV shows up
Mar 23, 2007 at 6:12 AM Post #16 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrLA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guy for some inputs...but i'm still looking for verification,

If I have the $99 option "Maxout: AD8620 + 2x stackable buffer" installed on my amp, anybody knows from posted pix above?

Can Xin amp be used while recharging its batteries(if rechargable batteries used) like RSA Hornet?

I have yet compare this amp to other SS amps. I may get a Hornet M next month for comparision, I had blown my budget already this month for buying K1000 cans.

yup you can use it when its charging with the ac adapter, but make sure that youre using it with rechargable batteries. Alkaline batteries might blow up when theyre charged

Mar 23, 2007 at 11:04 AM Post #17 of 37
I like the volume control with the two rubber grips on it as well.

I have found the case to be way more than adequate. I have a couple of Xin's amps and they have been around the world, dropped (accidently but roughly) taken out of the case many times and I have never had a problem unless I messed something up. My first Xin amp is a couple of years old now and doing fine though I mostly listen to the LE version at this time.

Mar 23, 2007 at 12:12 PM Post #18 of 37
I put an oring on my knob. It's pretty.
tongue.gif

A patterned surface to the current knob would work. In a portable pouch, it's hard to use. The oring lets you use your fingertip to control.

I have had mine since Nov. (the last update I think) with no problems. And the unit does drive the K701s very well. I have only the SP to compare. I won't go there. Both are very satisfactory to me.

I never received the default chips either. Yours looks like a dual 8610 (single channel) on 1 & 2 and 8620 (dual channel) in 3 & 4 & buffer output. My buffers are mounted on boards and have two stacked on each output. Yours looks different.
Check out the buffer ID on the chip. May be a different buffer from what is in mine.

Other than one paint chip (plating defect), Mine has been everything I expected. Three months is too long a wait. That seems to be common though for alot of head-fi gear.

Mar 23, 2007 at 12:18 PM Post #19 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Walie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're getting a Hornet, there is now!

Haha, that's not fair... the Hornet (And SR-71 to a certain extent) wait is due to a certain part not being readily available. NORMALLY the wait time is nonexistent with Ray!
wink.gif

Mar 23, 2007 at 12:22 PM Post #20 of 37
Your pics. clearly show a 8620 sitting next to the capacitor, and some 8610's on left side of pic. Why do you have the idea he would be sending you additional opamps - you ordered a substitution w/8620 - not additional opamps. Poster above has it right re switch lineup left to right - Impedence, gAin, Bass Boost, Crossfeed
I make do with enjoying Supermini IV, while waiting for imminent arrival of my Supermacro LE.

Mar 23, 2007 at 2:29 PM Post #21 of 37
Quote:

...and questions for those who know:

Along with the standard SM IV, I ordered Max8620($99), and a pair of sockets(for AD797).

1. Did Xin install MAX8620 on my amp already? I couldn't see labels clearly on those chips. If he did, where are the standard op-amps that come with standard SM IV?

2. What are those switches mean? Obviously, the first one (from left to right) is an on/off switch, second one when at down position seems to turn gain to high, 3rd switch up seems to turn on bass boost feature...how about the rest?

3. Can SM IV be used while charging like a RSA Hornet? Currently I am powering it with Alkaline batteries.

4. Why it says 'made in USA'?

I realize you are disgruntled with your SMIV, but caveat emptor. On a side note, the amp will sound awesome (and IMO better than the Hornet) in less time than it takes the hornet to sound its best.

To answer your questions:
  • your setup looks like a maxed out 8620 mode - do you have two buffers in each buffer socket? that would be the stacked buffers (very expensive, btw). 8610's are the single channel version of the 8620, and your 8620 dual channel is resting in the 3/4 channel
  • already answered, and correctly.
  • yest it can, but ONLY with ni-Cd or Ni-MH batt's.
  • answered, and correctly.

P.S. - the sockets are compensation sockets for AD797, and will blow the 8610's out of the water IMO. just awesome sounding.

www.analog.com - get your free 797 samples from them.

Stock opamps are op275. They are nice as well, but the cheapest and least best sounding options. Get a op275 somewhere for your 797's, and pluck it into the 3/4 channel.

side note: with all those stacked buffers, you will need to keep your macro IV plugged in a lot. That config is a power hog!

All of this info can be found on Xin's site if you search and read.

Mar 23, 2007 at 2:58 PM Post #22 of 37
I wonder if the amp has the latest tweaks incorporated into it. Should really get a sample of 637 and find out!

The silver knob is plastic, well at least mine felt like it is. The older knob is heap better!

Mar 23, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #23 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by crypt@ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if the amp has the latest tweaks incorporated into it. Should really get a sample of 637 and find out!

The silver knob is plastic, well at least mine felt like it is. The older knob is heap better!

yeah, that knob sucks... hard to use once all is connected. I put a TH knob on mine
eggosmile.gif

amps.jpg

Mar 27, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #24 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by omendelovitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I realize you are disgruntled with your SMIV, but caveat emptor. On a side note, the amp will sound awesome (and IMO better than the Hornet) in less time than it takes the hornet to sound its best.

To answer your questions:
  • your setup looks like a maxed out 8620 mode - do you have two buffers in each buffer socket? that would be the stacked buffers (very expensive, btw). 8610's are the single channel version of the 8620, and your 8620 dual channel is resting in the 3/4 channel
  • already answered, and correctly.
  • yest it can, but ONLY with ni-Cd or Ni-MH batt's.
  • answered, and correctly.

P.S. - the sockets are compensation sockets for AD797, and will blow the 8610's out of the water IMO. just awesome sounding.

www.analog.com - get your free 797 samples from them.

Stock opamps are op275. They are nice as well, but the cheapest and least best sounding options. Get a op275 somewhere for your 797's, and pluck it into the 3/4 channel.

side note: with all those stacked buffers, you will need to keep your macro IV plugged in a lot. That config is a power hog!

All of this info can be found on Xin's site if you search and read.

thanks omendelovitz and all who answered my questions on previous page.

futher scrutiny revealed that my SMIV has 3 buffer ICs BUF634P(not sure they are stacked, should had looked closer), two AD8610s and solo AD8620. According to IC diagrams, like omendelovitz mentioned, 8610 is single input and 8620 dual input.

SM4_Buffer.jpg

SM4_RS.jpg

SM4_LS.jpg

SM4_797Socket.jpg

I have three more dumb questions:

1. How do the AD797 sockets(w/ 797s installed) mount on this amp? I am looking for a layout diagram.

2. what position of impedance switch for low and high?

3. Can this amp be used sans batteries, just like a home amp plugging Coby jack into the wall?

P.S. I am not disgruntled with Xin's amp. Except, I wish he provided a diagram showing how the IC's should be plugged in(per customer order) and some sort of instructions explaining the switches and what type of batteries should be used. Yes, I realize that I can extract all of that info from his site, but i have to read a lot of pages to get that few info. He should put up a brief instructional manual online.

Yes, the knob sucks! I like the one on mrmarryo's amp better.

This SMIV sounds comparable to a PPA V2 (from memory) that I had just sold.

Mar 28, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #25 of 37
Quote:

thanks omendelovitz and all who answered my questions on previous page.

futher scrutiny revealed that my SMIV has 3 buffer ICs BUF634P(not sure they are stacked, should had looked closer), two AD8610s and solo AD8620. According to IC diagrams, like omendelovitz mentioned, 8610 is single input and 8620 dual input.

I have three more dumb questions:

1. How do the AD797 sockets(w/ 797s installed) mount on this amp? I am looking for a layout diagram.

2. what position of impedance switch for low and high?

3. Can this amp be used sans batteries, just like a home amp plugging Coby jack into the wall?

P.S. I am not disgruntled with Xin's amp. Except, I wish he provided a diagram showing how the IC's should be plugged in(per customer order) and some sort of instructions explaining the switches and what type of batteries should be used. Yes, I realize that I can extract all of that info from his site, but i have to read a lot of pages to get that few info. He should put up a brief instructional manual online.

Yes, the knob sucks! I like the one on mrmarryo's amp better.

This SMIV sounds comparable to a PPA V2 (from memory) that I had just sold.

1. I dunno
2. Down for 0, up for +75 ohms
3. Yes, but dont have the amp connected with non rechargeable batteries

Does the fact that it sounds comparable to a PPA V2, is that a positive or negative comment?

Mar 28, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #27 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. I dunno
2. Down for 0, up for +75 ohms
3. Yes, but dont have the amp connected with non rechargeable batteries

Does the fact that it sounds comparable to a PPA V2, is that a positive or negative comment?

1. plug the 797's into the sockets, making sure that the #1 pin marker (usually a round dot [painted/engraved] on the LHS corner of the op amp casing) on the op-amp is inserted into the socket marked #1. Then plug that whole combo into the board's sockets oriented to mimic the orientation of the buffers (make sure your dot is placed in the same spot as the buffers' dots....

hmmm... easier directions - make sure the knob/face plate are facing you, and then plug in the 797's in replacement of the 8610's, with the dot located in the bottom left corner...

Mar 28, 2007 at 5:10 AM Post #28 of 37
Quote:

You can get the previous volume knob ... Kilo ML-50-4-5, Allied stock# 664-2506.

Who is the vendor? I do not think you have mentioned it there. Thanks

Mar 28, 2007 at 5:23 AM Post #29 of 37
Mar 28, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #30 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by omendelovitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. plug the 797's into the sockets, making sure that the #1 pin marker (usually a round dot [painted/engraved] on the LHS corner of the op amp casing) on the op-amp is inserted into the socket marked #1. Then plug that whole combo into the board's sockets oriented to mimic the orientation of the buffers (make sure your dot is placed in the same spot as the buffers' dots....

hmmm... easier directions - make sure the knob/face plate are facing you, and then plug in the 797's in replacement of the 8610's, with the dot located in the bottom left corner...

i don't think u mean to desolder 8610As and remove them out first then plug in the AD797s with their adaptor sockets, right?

thanks guys!

mrarroyo thanks for the knob info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back