Finally! SR-60 VS K-81dj
Feb 21, 2007 at 5:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Sunkinator

Head-Fier
My SR-60's arrived today and they have 5 hrs of burn-in on them.

Now to settle the big debate: AKG K-81dj VS Grado SR-60. This comparison is done completely unamped with my unbiased ears.

This comparison will not be completely fair, because my AKGs have close to 100 hours on them and my grados have only 5 (but i dont suspect the grados to turn into an entire different beast over night)

Sound Signatures

K-81dj: Bass, Bass, and more Bass. These things really kick out rock, but the vocals are actually darkened a little by the sheer amount of bass.

SR-60: These things have a very open sound to them (Maybe because they are open
biggrin.gif
) They do not overemphasize the bass which is great because when you pair that with their open sound, it offers great vocal clarity and awesome treble impact (although it may be considered shrill to some people)

Comfort

K-81dj Out of the box, these things are really tight on your head! (if you've played Half Life then think of headcrabs) Once you bend the headband enough, you can wear them for longer (although i find them unbearable after 1 hour
mad.gif
)

SR-60 They are very light and they have comfortable foam pads (hence, the name "comfies") The headband does not irritate my head after using it for over 30 minutes although the same cannot be said for the K-81s.

Isolation

K-81dj Great voice isolation when music is playing! These things were made to block out voices so djs could focus on the music and they do their job 110%

SR-60 None whatsoever.

Build Quality

K-81dj The AKG's look as good as they are built and IMO they are one of the coolest looking headphones around. They have cool swivels and they fold up into a portable bundle very easily.

SR-60 I wasn't sure what to think about them until my mother made a comment that she thought that somebody made them in their garage (LOL) Im afraid the AKG has a clear advantage here.

So my answer to the question of "AKG or Grado?" is simple.
Buy Them Both.
The K-81 is gods gift to people who want to listen to their ipods on a school bus.
The SR-60 is gods gift to the people who want a great home headphone that wont make their ears turn purple and fall off
tongue.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 6:02 AM Post #2 of 8
I have both of the K81DJ and SR60 for portable use. I love them both, SR60 are my favorite for rock, K81DJ are my favorite for electronic and hiphop. IMO the two best under $100 headphones.

Feb 21, 2007 at 6:11 AM Post #3 of 8
Not sure if an open vs closed can review is fair, but nice write up.

Feb 21, 2007 at 6:19 AM Post #4 of 8
Im not a big fan of bringing open cans into public because i like to hear my music :p.

BTW it's a pretty fair review because they are the top two headphones in this price range (open or not)

Feb 21, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #5 of 8
I also have them both, and really enjoy them, both the differences and the similarities in SQ. ive modded the k81dj with the foam out and the so called blue tak mod in the empty cups, and boy does that help. this way, i feel ive got really good portable cans to use on the go in the k81dj, and great sound at home in the sr-60.
I agree that its kind of unfair to compare closed to open cans, but as the products are very popular, i think it aslo has its place to do that.

Great cans for the buck.

Feb 21, 2007 at 10:48 AM Post #6 of 8
congratulations on your new cans
smily_headphones1.gif
i used to ask others here for their opinions when i pondered on buying one between the two.. too bad they became unavailable here
frown.gif
enjoy them!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 7, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

So my answer to the question of "AKG or Grado?" is simple.
Buy Them Both.

A very simple Head-Fi answer in deed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back