Finally sorted driving lessons.
Jan 13, 2009 at 12:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Duffy1207

100+ Head-Fier
So after being 17 for almost 6 months, I've managed to organise with me grandad to get driving lessons.
My mates dad is an instructor and a pretty damm sound bloke, and I'm going out for a "trial" lesson on saturday, basically moving the car around, stopping etc. as I'm able to do clutch control and all that.

Couple of questions:
Realistically, how many lessons do you think it takes to pass the test? I know this is different for everyone but I could get an average from it. I've heard anywhere between 25-45.

Do you think you need pracitice as well as lessons, e.g driving my dads car about? Obviously this would be better than not practicing, but trying to get insured on my dad's car at 17 would be quite expensive.

Jan 13, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #2 of 12
Dang must driver's tests over there must be a lot harder than the US. And to think I drove over there with a International driving permit. HAHA.

I got my first license after taking a drivers course I slept through and going on one 3 hour practice drive in which I only drove for 30 minutes because the other student was 100x worse than me, ha! Of course I did start driving at 9 by steering from the passenger seat with Dad.

Jan 13, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #3 of 12
Yes, it's completely different over there. A co-worker's brother became an instructor in the UK and I was amazed at the training required. It's a good thing, though, especially if you learn the clutch.

I don't know how many lessons you need to pass, but I think a good 6-12 months of practice is necessary. You need to feel comfortable with the vehicle and learn to anticipate what other drivers are going to do. Being able to read traffic is very important. Even when you're a passenger, watch the other drivers and try to figure what each of them is planning to do. You'll get the hang of it and will learn to keep yourself away from danger.

Still remember the first time I drove. I was 15 and my grandfather took me out in the orange groves in Arizona then handed me the keys. Got a permit a few months later, took driver's ed, got a license (98/100 points, but a much easier exam here) and bought my first car at 16. I still have it, too. Everyone wishes they had their first car, so I put it in storage. It runs and drives, but I'm planning to spruce it up for weekend cruising.

Jan 13, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #4 of 12
In the Netherlands it's usually around 20-25 lessons before you take your exam. If you fail, probably 10 more before the second try. I had 25 (package deal, cheaper
tongue.gif
).

Jan 13, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Still remember the first time I drove. I was 15 and my grandfather took me out in the orange groves in Arizona then handed me the keys.

Another Arizonan here. Better watch out Erik you date yourself by talking about Orange Groves in Arizona.
tongue.gif

Jan 13, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #6 of 12
I failed my test 2 times on a technicality. The first time my parents forgot to put the insurance and registration in the car = instant fail. The second time I didn't have a New Jersey licensed driver with me (mom had a license, but not a New Jersey one) = instant fail. Finally passed the driving test in the snow a month later.

The driving test was a joke, driving 15 MPH in a parking lot while observing signs, parallel parking. Oh, and I had to shift from first to second gear once to prove I could do it.

Back on topic, it is very helpful to practice as much as possible. Gets you a comfort level where and you acquire a feel for the car. I would suggest to take some lessons, then practice as much as possible. Volunteer to drive everywhere, for as long as you can.

Jan 13, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #7 of 12
I had about 4 hours (2 lessons) driving time before setting up a test. The test was straight forward (in NYC)...parallel parking, k turn, signalling, etc. The exam was setup in a residential area so definitely needed to be aware of pedestrians and the occasional vehicle. I passed my first time and I was 22 at the time. I actually needed my driver's license for a job.

I would say take a couple of lessons especially since its an acquaintance. Then, like kansei said, volunteer to drive everywhere. When you do practice,
follow the rules of the road just like you would during the exam. Take your time and don't rush. You can do that later when you are older and late for work
wink_face.gif

Jan 13, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #8 of 12
It depends on a lot of factors.
Especially if you have any driving/traffic experience from before (scooter, motorcycle, ...), and how fast of a learner you are. Apart from the obligatory classes (3 classes á 2-3 hours) I just had 5-6 driving lessons.

Practice a lot with your granddad and it will save you some lessons.
Best wishes!

Jan 13, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #9 of 12
the uk test, well 5 years ago, was about an hour, driving round town on the route the instructor tells you, junctions, roundabouts, getting in the right lane, 2 of 4 manoeuvres [ parallel park, reverse bay park, turn in the road, reverse round a corner] you are unlikely to get an emergency stop, cause it isnt nice for the instructor,
14 minors are a fail
1 major is a fail,
if a car pulls out in front of you and you dont stop quick enough, thats a fail [even if you dont hit it, thats not enough]
bump a pavement too had, fail,
drive too slow or too much hesitancy minor, etc

plus you got the theory test before the practical

id say usually 3-9 months if you have an hour or 2 a week

id go for an intensive course, cheaper

i wouldnt go in your dads etc car cause u may well ruin/damage the clutch

oh, pretty much everyone learns a manual gearbox in the uk, i know no one who hasnt [op will know this tho]

Jan 13, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the uk test, well 5 years ago, was about an hour, driving round town on the route the instructor tells you, junctions, roundabouts, getting in the right lane, 2 of 4 manoeuvres [ parallel park, reverse bay park, turn in the road, reverse round a corner] you are unlikely to get an emergency stop, cause it isnt nice for the instructor,
14 minors are a fail
1 major is a fail,
if a car pulls out in front of you and you dont stop quick enough, thats a fail [even if you dont hit it, thats not enough]
bump a pavement too had, fail,
drive too slow or too much hesitancy minor, etc

plus you got the theory test before the practical

id say usually 3-9 months if you have an hour or 2 a week

id go for an intensive course, cheaper

i wouldnt go in your dads etc car cause u may well ruin/damage the clutch

oh, pretty much everyone learns a manual gearbox in the uk, i know no one who hasnt [op will know this tho]

I have driven my dad's car and can use the clutch absolutely fine pulling away and stopping etc, can change gear too, but haven't done it much, and going back down through the gears is something I found a little tricky with engine braking etc.

Had no idea the test in America conatined so little, would've thought it was harder.

Its not as bad as the Indian one or something like that I've heard about, where you've gotta go forwards 10 metres, stop, and go back 10 metres or something stupid.

Jan 13, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #11 of 12
yeah i thought the us would be harder

the uk test would be 10x easier tho if it was in an auto, but autos are boring so...

as long as you are not burning the clutch its ok, yeah up and down through the gears is just something that comes, particularly down, and getting used to a car, now i can pretty much drive any car once ive been all the way up and down the gears once, my car in particular has such a high rev range you can drop 2 easy, and usually 3 or even 4 for an overtake

Jan 13, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #12 of 12
I passed my test in the UK in 1984 before the theory part was introduced and passed the US driving test in 1999 in Dallas, the Dallas test was absurdly easy (out of the center , four right turns one stop and and back to the center - total about 5 mins) and does not mean that anyone who passes it would be road safe. The computer test was bizarre, four of the questions were about the fines for drug or drink driving offences and none on stopping distances.

My driving was apalling after I passed my UK test and was able to drive alone, and it took me several months before I became an "okay" driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back