Finally ready to replace my broken HE-500s
Oct 28, 2020 at 1:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Tjj226 Angel

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello all.

A number of years ago I used to have a pair of HE-500s that I absolutely loved. One day I was experimenting with a mod and a screw got sucked in by the magnets and blasted a huge hole in the diaphragms. : (

I decided to take them apart and reverse engineer the drivers thinking that some day I would find a cheap pair of used HE-500s and I would just swap the drivers. Well no such luck.

Fast forward to today and I am now in the final days of building my own planar headphone from scratch. However I need a cheapish pair of headphones I can use as a reference to judge my DIY headphones. I also build my own amplifiers and I would like something that will be cheap enough that if the amp goes sideways and blows up a pair of headphones, I won't cry over it.

I would love to find a pair of planar headphones that are around 100-200 bucks that give me something similar to what the HE-500s had (I am aware it probably won't be all that close : P). I am also wide open to the idea of modding a pair of cheap headphones to get better sound. There are just so many cheap planars these days I don't even know where to start.

Oct 28, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #2 of 4
I mean, used HE-4XX would be an option at around $100.

I've seen people claim you can find the AR-H1 around $200 used but have yet to see them that low or I'd pick them up if only to compare to the Sendy Audio AIVA, which supposedly uses the same driver.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #3 of 4
I mean, used HE-4XX would be an option at around $100.

I've seen people claim you can find the AR-H1 around $200 used but have yet to see them that low or I'd pick them up if only to compare to the Sendy Audio AIVA, which supposedly uses the same driver.

I will look into that. I would like to avoid used headphones because the used hifi market is just plain stupid sometimes, but if I can pick up a pair that cheap, I would definitely be interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back