Finally ordered my first real pair of cans!
Jun 16, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #16 of 25
  Nice; do they loosen up after a few days? From what I've read, they have a pretty tight clamp force initially, and I don't have a very small head...

My understanding is that the premiums don't have the tighter fit.....which is what I got. Same sound though.

If you got the Pro's I'm sure there's a way to loosen them up a bit.

Jun 16, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #17 of 25
I had DT880 pros 250ohm. I didn't think they had uncomfortable clamp, I thought they were perfect but I do have a small head.

Jun 16, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #18 of 25
  I bought a pair of DT-990's (Premium 250 Ohm) about two months ago. Then I bought a Bravo Audio Ocean amp!

They work great together. Great all around cans in my opinion. Big soundstage and good bass response. I use them on my computer where I have my CD collection ripped to FLAC......I also like using them to watch movies decoded with a Dolby Headphone amp that I have hook up to my home theater.

Did exactly the same...fun setup, great value!

Jun 17, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #19 of 25
I am so pleased with how comfortable these things are. Headphones have never really fit me well; these seem as if they were crafted for me personally. I have yet to break them in, but with my little tube amp and spotify, I'm really enjoying what I hear. The sound seems smooth, yet precise. Just thought i'd fill you in...

Jun 17, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #20 of 25
  I am so pleased with how comfortable these things are. Headphones have never really fit me well; these seem as if they were crafted for me personally. I have yet to break them in, but with my little tube amp and spotify, I'm really enjoying what I hear. The sound seems smooth, yet precise. Just thought i'd fill you in...

How do you feel about the clamping pressure you were worried about? 

Jun 18, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #21 of 25
I feel like if there were any less force, they wouldn't feel secure on my head. The slight rigidity just makes them feel like a solid pair of headphones an does not cause any discomfort imo.

Jun 18, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #22 of 25
Not to be the Devils ADvocate but :3, I REALLY enjoyed the Schiit Vali with my DT 990, gave the sub bass a much needed umph, and gave the mids some nice body, for $120 [no tube swapping] I felt it was a much better investment over getting the $70 Bravo amp... then possibly speninding $30-$40 more dollars on tubes, buying a Multi Meter so you can properly adjust bias when you pop in a new tube. ect... ect...

so :D I might suggest you upgrade to a Vali now, my backs already starting to ache as I remember Biasing my Bravo tube xD

Non the less though, it does sound REALLY good, I used to run Line out of a hifiman HM601 into a Bravo Tube [ohh how warm that was xD] it sounded pretty awesome, for a Dac the Beringher UAC 202 is a STEAL for $30 

Jun 18, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #23 of 25
I like the Vali too, but I haven't owned the 990. I use it instead with my D2k, my DT770 and DT880, my XC, and before I traded it to cCasper TFG, my Q701. The Vali is an amazing little budget tube amp with enough power to drive damn near anything you throw at it.

Jun 18, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #24 of 25
I have the money for some ridiculous amp (graduation funds), but I gave myself a $250 budget to save for college... The Vali sounds enticing, but I don't want to spend that kind of cash atm... I have no real reference, but my setup right now is very pleasing to my ears. I will definitely look into the DAC you mentioned, though; i'm using my mobo's reaktek atm. Thanks for the input.

Jun 19, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #25 of 25
  I have the money for some ridiculous amp (graduation funds), but I gave myself a $250 budget to save for college... The Vali sounds enticing, but I don't want to spend that kind of cash atm... I have no real reference, but my setup right now is very pleasing to my ears. I will definitely look into the DAC you mentioned, though; i'm using my mobo's reaktek atm. Thanks for the input.

at the very least, get the Dac, it does a good job cleaning up the sound into your amp over the Mobos on board dac 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back