Finally ordered my first real pair of cans!
Jun 15, 2014 at 1:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

MrSpaceFox

New Head-Fier
I have, at long last, decided to get myself a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 990s! They seem like top of the line build and quality, but rather hard to drive. For that, I purchased the Bravo V2 $70 tube amp. That little bad boy has some solid reviews and enough juice to power the 990s. I may end up swapping tubes and adding a DAC.

The setup will be here Tuesday, and I'll be sure to give a full report of my findings!

Any comments or input is appreciated, and where do you audiophiles out there attain your high quality tracks, and what player/ software do you use?

Happy Listening
L3000.gif

Jun 15, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #2 of 25
I personally use Foobar2000 for my desktop playback and I've been surfing the website hdtracks.com to find some 96/24 bit recordings (which you could always downsample to 44/16 cd quality if you wanted to put them on a mobile device). You can also just go to an online retailer and pick up hard copies of cds to burn as FLAC files.

Have fun with your 990s.

Jun 15, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #3 of 25
I spun CDs for years.  It wasn't until my music collection got too large for me to want to search for specific discs and songs that I went to computer based audio.  I don't necessarily think computer audio sounds any different than spinning CDs, but it's more convenient.  The DACs built into CD players are actually pretty good and should bring you a lot of enjoyment.

Jun 15, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #5 of 25
  I have, at long last, decided to get myself a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 990s! They seem like top of the line build and quality, but rather hard to drive. For that, I purchased the Bravo V2 $70 tube amp. That little bad boy has some solid reviews and enough juice to power the 990s. I may end up swapping tubes and adding a DAC.

The setup will be here Tuesday, and I'll be sure to give a full report of my findings!

Any comments or input is appreciated, and where do you audiophiles out there attain your high quality tracks, and what player/ software do you use?

Happy Listening
L3000.gif

Congrats!

You'll have a lot of people touting elaborate methods and setups, but I use Spotify at its highest quality setting (or BandCamp for stuff not on Spotify) and have had a 100% success rate. 

Jun 16, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #6 of 25
Finally made your purchase huh? Glad to hear it! I'm in the same boat as SomeGuyDude. I use Spotify too. Anyways, hope you enjoy your new purchase!

Jun 16, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #7 of 25
Use AIMP3 for music I own and free Spotify for music I don't. If I had premium I would use Fidelify for both since it has WASAPI and I wouldn't have to use separate programs. Well, I might still use AIMP anyway because it is more feature-full and lightweight.

Jun 16, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #8 of 25
  Use AIMP3 for music I own and free Spotify for music I don't. If I had premium I would use Fidelify for both since it has WASAPI and I wouldn't have to use separate programs. Well, I might still use AIMP anyway because it is more feature-full and lightweight.

I'll tell you, premium Spotify is well worth it for the 320 OGG files. 

Jun 16, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #13 of 25

I'll tell you, premium Spotify is well worth it for the 320 OGG files. 

That sounds pretty sweet.   Might have to consider giving it a go for a few months.   As far as desktop software for music goes this is by far my favorite http://www.clementine-player.org/  easy to create playlists and you can even set it up to be controlled by your phone as long as you are on same wifi network

Jun 16, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #14 of 25
I bought a pair of DT-990's (Premium 250 Ohm) about two months ago. Then I bought a Bravo Audio Ocean amp!

They work great together. Great all around cans in my opinion. Big soundstage and good bass response. I use them on my computer where I have my CD collection ripped to FLAC......I also like using them to watch movies decoded with a Dolby Headphone amp that I have hook up to my home theater.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back