Finally, my search is over...
Jan 14, 2004 at 9:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

dhwilkin

Headphone audiophiles are practically the stuff of legend.
... my search for a job, that is! That's right, after nine months of being unemployed, I've finally found another job. It's w/ a consulting company, and the project is for Java development/testing at IBM. Very few people were hiring junior developers, so this is a major relief.

Now, what does this have to do w/ Head-fi? Nothing, but since this has put me in a good mood, I want to celebrate. So, I'm looking for suggestions as to what I should buy in celebration of this? Obviously, some of these things would require a month or two of saving up. Feel free to suggest other stuff. Oh, but don't suggest music, since I've already went out and bought a bunch of that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 14, 2004 at 9:42 PM Post #2 of 20
How much exactly do you have to play around with? Perhaps a omega II/KGSS is in your future

Jan 14, 2004 at 9:51 PM Post #3 of 20
Assume that $4000 is my hard upper limit (I'm basing this on current savings plus a month or two on the job), and I'd probably only spend that much if I went for the plasma tv. Also, Stax is a possibility, but where would I get a KGSS from, and roughly how much would that combo cost?

Jan 14, 2004 at 10:26 PM Post #5 of 20
PLASMA TV, BABY!!!! That Gateway commercial is great.

Jan 14, 2004 at 10:39 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Edwood said...

Consider a Samsung rear projection DLP set instead of Plasma.

Well, most of my viewing would be dvds and games, so I'm not sure there'd be enough HD material that I'd want to watch to make a true HDTV necessary. In any event, I've seen a bunch of rear-projection tvs (no idea if they were calibrated well or not), and I've never been thrilled by the picture, or the sheer bulk of them.

Jan 14, 2004 at 11:11 PM Post #7 of 20
If its mainly for movie watching, have you considered a projector?

Jan 15, 2004 at 12:24 AM Post #13 of 20
You could do omega II + KGSS for 4000 dollars, and have extra left over for hookers and booze.

1. Talk to koji and get some omegas, i believe he charges 1500-1600, depending on his mood and how good you are at barganing

2. Talk to justin of headamp.com about getting a KGSS built, as i understand it, he's starting to produce them in quanity. I believe his price is around 1500, but i honstly don't recall.

Around 3000 bucks, and you've got just about the best headphone setup out there
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2004 at 12:37 AM Post #14 of 20
don't even think about getting a plasma tv! they are insanely overpriced for what you are getting. you might as well get some 500 dollar wooden knobs! if you want a nice tv, get a projector. 110 inch screens for less money. those things are freakin uber. in conclusion, plasma tv's are for suckers.

Jan 15, 2004 at 12:42 AM Post #15 of 20
Congrats on the new job dhwilkin!
cool.gif

[size=xx-small]Erm... if it's a temporary position/project, maybe you should consider socking it away for a rainy day. Just in case...[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back