FINALLY! My Ohm MicroWalsh Talls have ARRIVED! (56k WARNING!)
Nov 19, 2005 at 1:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Aman

Headphoneus Supremus
So, as many know, my birthday was recently. I have been debating for almost two years now which speaker upgrade to get. I have finally decided with the Ohm MicroWalsh Talls. Check out the pics below:

ohm2cx.jpg

ohm22kt.jpg

ohm47og.jpg

First impressions: The speakers are BEAUTIFUL! The cabinets and the wood finish (real oak, by the way!) are quite dazzling, and, if I may say so myself, match the floor quite well
biggrin.gif
Anyhow, I will give sound impressions after approximately 200 hours of burn in. For the 1-2 hours that I've used the speakers, however, it seems to keep the same sound signature of the Ohm speakers I had from 30 years ago... accept MUCH more refined. The midrange is incredibly pure, the bass is more controlled, and the highs are less shrill. The imaging and soundstage is immensely larger and worlds more accurate! These speakers rule!

Oh yeah, and, for kicks, here is my ragin' poster that I got from my girlfriend for my birthday:
ohm50zt.jpg

biggrin.gif

Nov 19, 2005 at 3:28 AM Post #2 of 11
Very nice Aman. They're very attractive speakers. It'll be interesting to hear how they sound after they break in some more. But if I may make a suggestion, if you haven't already done so, you should put a rug down between your listening spot and the speakers to absorb some of the reflections off the floor.

Also, those shelves look mighty empty for someone who has 8,000 records (or something like that)
wink.gif
. When are you going to finish filling them up?

Nov 19, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisets
Very nice Aman. They're very attractive speakers. It'll be interesting to hear how they sound after they break in some more. But if I may make a suggestion, if you haven't already done so, you should put a rug down between your listening spot and the speakers to absorb some of the reflections off the floor.

Also, those shelves look mighty empty for someone who has 8,000 records (or something like that)
wink.gif
. When are you going to finish filling them up?

Well, there is a large rug that is between the speakers and the listening chair, so I got that out of the way
smily_headphones1.gif

In regards to the records and the shelves, well, I have something closer to 3000-3500. About 2000 of them ARE on the shelves already, if not scattered around the room. There are other crates of records still back at home in Connecticut that I haven't gotten around to picking up and transporting over to my apartment. I've been very busy at NYU lately, and just really haven't been up to it. I have somewhere between 7-10 large boxes full of LPs. And, plus, I need to do some work on the shelves, because they are starting to bow - no sense in putting the records up there, as I will need to take them down in a few days anyhow.

Thanks for the comments on the speakers. They sound better by the minute! What's interesting about these speakers is that they seem to be able to handle ANY musical genre. I've played some Yes (which gets very loud near the end of 'Close to the Edge'), and some smooth soft acoustic guitar duets, and both were handled with power and ease. I love how the sound is just universally, no matter what the music is, fantastic. The 6moons review I just read recently states that very same thing!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 19, 2005 at 4:06 AM Post #4 of 11
I want to know where in the village you live that you can have space like that?

I want to see more pics of the entire room!

I've always wanted to live in the village.

B

Nov 19, 2005 at 4:10 AM Post #5 of 11
Very unique full range design. Tell us more as you get used to them/break them in.

Nov 19, 2005 at 4:15 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikemonkeys
I want to know where in the village you live that you can have space like that?

I want to see more pics of the entire room!

I've always wanted to live in the village.

B

I'd rather not get into specifics, but I am very lucky in that my father owns and co-operates a high-end apartment building (works for a real estate firm) in which he was able to get me an apartment for the two years that I plan on studying at NYU for. And, also realize, that my 'listening room' and my bed room are the same room
biggrin.gif

Nov 19, 2005 at 1:05 PM Post #7 of 11
Very nice, Aman.

I am curious about the current Ohm lineup, and particularly the microWalsh's. After hearing some mbl's last spring, I decided to search for an affordable alternative that has a similiar omni-directional driver. I've known Ohm speakers since 'back in the day', and they seem to be the only other manufacturer that offers something like that nowadays. The fact that they have a factory right here in Brooklyn, makes me want to get a pair even more.

How long did it take for yours to arrive after ordering? How big is the room where you have the micro's setup?

Nov 19, 2005 at 9:18 PM Post #8 of 11
I just had a listen to "He Loves Him Madly", the entire 30-minute cut on Miles Davis' "Get Up With it", and the single-most thing that has astounded me with these new speakers currently is their HUGE sound stage. I loved how the wailing, sollemn organs were almost WRAPPING around my head as they got more and more intense, as the notes grew longer and longer. I had previously never experienced such a phenominon through hi-fi speakers.

Quote:

How long did it take for yours to arrive after ordering? How big is the room where you have the micro's setup?

It depends a lot on what you are ordering and what finish you want. I got an Oak finish, and they got it to my house in under a week. Other times, however, you will have to wait more than 2 weeks to get the finish you want. They also have a few speakers already built at any given time, depending on time of the year and type of speaker.

My room is somewhere along the lines of:

17ft long
12ft wide

Nov 20, 2005 at 3:37 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt
Very nice, how's the bass on these speakers? It's an interesting design.

Bass is as present as my last pair of Ohms (which had a dedicated woofer), but it is much more controlled and not nearly as muddy. I'd say it goes slightly lower than 55hz quite nicely!

Jul 19, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #11 of 11
It makes me so happy every time I see another person that loves these speakers, as I'm the one who designed them while I worked with John at Ohm for a couple years.

I think when they shine the most is if you listen to a "Holographic" recording made using microphones such as BS-3D microphone from this company: http://www.theaudio.com/home_en.htm

Two of their engineers came to Brooklyn to listen to some of their recordings on Ohm's speakers and were totally blown away. The MicroWalshes were in front of a large par of Walsh 5s and they had assumed that the music was coming from the big speakers, it was funny watching their expressions when they found out the sound had been coming from the tiny speakers that they had hardly even noticed :p

I should send you a copy of one of the demo CDs they left with me? The recording in the Vatican was particularly cool, I swear, I though I heard walking AROUND me from just 2 front speakers, gave me goosebumps.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back