Finally...my CKKIII lives...
Dec 28, 2008 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

sachu

Headphoneus Supremus
I finally got my CKKIII working and without the use of a multimeter might i add..stupid i know but i just threw in a pair of headphones i wasn't using, expecting the dc offset to burn it..surprisingly i was greeted to sweeet sound of the The SHins...

Only thing lacking is a nice volume knob..anyone know a good looking but affordable knob for the alps RK27 pot?

Will post pics later..i still haven't squared away the wiring..

Dec 28, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #2 of 16
Congrats!

I like the variety of knobs at Nebraska Surplus. They tend towards the old school, but I like that sort of thing. You can also find more modern knobs at Digikey and Mouser.

Alright, now you owe us some pics!
biggrin.gif

Any plans for your next project?

Dec 28, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #3 of 16
Well Done.
regular_smile .gif

For an affordable knob Ebay seller Partspipe is hard to beat. These 2,30x22 Aluminum Hi-Fi CD VOLUME TONE CONTROL KNOB,B - eBay Passive Components, Electronic Components, Electrical Test Equipment, Business Industrial. (end time 22-Jan-09 12:13:01 AEDST) are popular(I have one on my CKK111 and my Max), but he has heaps of styles, sizes and colours to chose from.

Do yourself a favour and get a multimeter. As well as checking for DC offset before risking your good headphones you will also need them to set the current for the output transistors.

Dec 28, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #5 of 16
here are the pics...

Thanks for the recommendations on the knobs..the ones from partspipe looks perfect and so do the ones from surplus sales...ordered 4 of them from the surplus sales

Dec 28, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats!

Any plans for your next project?

Thanks!!

Next up..A SOHA 2 and Stacker tube amps..and some DIY orthos..

Dec 28, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #7 of 16
Congrats
biggrin.gif
, a recall a story about a tortoise and the finish line
wink.gif
. Best sit back and enjoy this one for a while before you embark on the next epic journey ..dB

Dec 28, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats
biggrin.gif
, a recall a story about a tortoise and the finish line
wink.gif
. Best sit back and enjoy this one for a while before you embark on the next epic journey ..dB

lol...Thanks!..that journey (the DIY orthos) is a long one in itself..lots of things to work out..we have a lot to talk about..need your insight..

surprisingly, the CKKIII doesn't seem to impress me that much with the Yh-100..the DT-770 sound has improved greatly though and so has the Pioneer Monitor 10s.

I really want to listen to the stacker and the SOHA again at your place with the orthos..sent the BOM for the SOHA over to India as components are a tenth of what it costs here.

This has been a tortoise run if you remember, taken me a year to get down and do the case work on the CKKIII
tongue_smile.gif

IT actually ended up taking abt half hour for all the casework put together which makes me feel stupid for putting it off for so long.

Sachu

Dec 28, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the DIY orthos..lots of things to work out..we have a lot to talk about..need your insight..

check your e-mail , details sent earlier. give them some thought and then it will make more sense to talk

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
surprisingly, the CKKIII doesn't seem to impress me that much with the Yh-100..the DT-770 sound has improved greatly though and so has the Pioneer Monitor 10s.

Your YH100's need to be worked on, they will sound great with the CKKIII once they are able to..dB

Dec 28, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
check your e-mail , details sent earlier. give them some thought and then it will make more sense to talk

Your YH100's need to be worked on, they will sound great with the CKKIII once they are able to..dB

Just saw the email...thanks!

Dec 28, 2008 at 8:54 AM Post #11 of 16
A quick build that works surprisingly well with orthos is the Starving Student. It will probably take you half a day to build one, especially if you mimic one of sijosae's "casing" techniques like I plan on doing with the spare parts I have left for my third SS

KAPLAs.jpg

But then, with Donald as a mentor you are probably aiming much higher than a humble SS.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 28, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #12 of 16
nice. I am working on finishing and casing mine too. Did you just use the Hammond case that they recommended? I don't mind that one but I also would like to look at some others if anyone has recommendations.

Dec 28, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice. I am working on finishing and casing mine too. Did you just use the Hammond case that they recommended? I don't mind that one but I also would like to look at some others if anyone has recommendations.

Yep..i just went with the case they recommended...it works perfectly with the amp..nice and compact..

Dec 28, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #14 of 16
Nice work. I too need to finish off my CKKIII, it's mostly together but still have a little problem with DC offset which I haven't addressed yet. Actually, I've put in an RC filter on the output to suppress it, but I need to try and fix it properly.

How did you do the setup and set the bias without a multimeter??

Dec 28, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by elliot42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice work. I too need to finish off my CKKIII, it's mostly together but still have a little problem with DC offset which I haven't addressed yet. Actually, I've put in an RC filter on the output to suppress it, but I need to try and fix it properly.

How did you do the setup and set the bias without a multimeter??

I didn't do any of that...however, am waiting for components for a stacker and probably a Bijjou or SOHA 2 including my multimeters from India to be brought here..soon as i get them I will be doing a check on the voltages and bias the amp upwards of 40mA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back