Finally heard Denon AHD600, K550, and HD558
Nov 30, 2012 at 12:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

charlie875578

Head-Fier
So I went to Best Buy today to pick up a Johnny Cash CD that was on sale and while I was there I went into the Magnolia room to see if the Sennheiser Momentums were on display. To my disappointment they weren't, but I was pleasantly surprised to see they had the Denon AHD600 on display. Being a former owner of the AHD5000, which I loved, I was so excited to try the AHD600 because these along with the Momentums are 2 pairs of HPs I'm looking at buying. My first impression of the 600 is that it's really big. Do Japanese people have big heads or something? I had a hat on and still felt like they ear cups were low on my ears. Sound wise, I wasn't too impressed off the bat. Mind you, I'm not an audiophile I'm more of a "serious listener." I don't understand some of the terms of art you guys use, but I know what my ears are hearing (I don't know what you guys mean by "sounds warm," etc.). I then put on the AKG 550. Which I thought looked a lot nicer in person, and I really wanted to like them (especially $200 less than the Denons). The vocals to me sounded "tinny and distant," if that makes sense (kinda like where you use surround sound audio setting feature on a TV). They also didn't have the punch of the Denons, which was expected. Lastly I put on the Sennheiser 558's and really liked them. Now I know what people mean when they say Sennheiser's sound signature is un-offensive. It didn't have the deep base, but everything sounded nice. I thought if I was looking for something in the $150-$200 price range these would be great. Oh, I also listened to the Harmon Kardon $199.99 square things. They sounded fun, I liked them better than the $350.00 ugly square Monster things. Still wish I could have heard the Momentums. Does anyone know how the Momentums compare to the 558's? Also, I don't think the source for the AHD600s, K550s, and HD558s was the greatest, of course it's Best Buy so there was no one around to ask. Overall, I was hoping the AHD600 would blow me away so I could stop thinking about the Momentums and just buy the 600's. But now I'm left undecided still...

Nov 30, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #2 of 8
Seems most people think pretty close to what you did about the d600s. Probably will keep my d5000s forever until denon goes back to a sexy design and sexy sound. ( and wooden cups ^_^)

Nov 30, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #3 of 8
It is upsetting that Denon went with more of the "street" look with these new headphones. A little bit of a style upgrade while keeping the classy wooden earcups would have been preferable. I wouldn't have minded if the sound blew me away. I still think they were hooked up in a way that would make them sound their best. I still am dying to hear the Sennheiser Momentum so I can decide between the Momentum and the AHD600.

Nov 30, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #4 of 8
I have both and while D600 doesn't offer anything too extraordinary, they easily match the D5000 in terms of sound. Less rumbling sub-bass but better vocal performance. Looks like Denon listened to the complaints about the sound sign of the D2000-5000 and attempted to fix that with the D600, while trying to go for a more *mainstream* sound (i.e. warm, smooth highs, etc.) and the *urban* look.Seriously, you guys compare a $699/~500 MSRP/street price D5000 to the $499/350-400 MSRP/street price D600 and expect to be blown away...not even Denon wanted it that way judging by the naming schemes: D600 but not D6000 or D5100, while D7100 is supposed to surpass D7000 (not sure about this one though :D)

Dec 2, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
I have both and while D600 doesn't offer anything too extraordinary, they easily match the D5000 in terms of sound. Less rumbling sub-bass but better vocal performance. Looks like Denon listened to the complaints about the sound sign of the D2000-5000 and attempted to fix that with the D600, while trying to go for a more *mainstream* sound (i.e. warm, smooth highs, etc.) and the *urban* look.Seriously, you guys compare a $699/~500 MSRP/street price D5000 to the $499/350-400 MSRP/street price D600 and expect to be blown away...not even Denon wanted it that way judging by the naming schemes: D600 but not D6000 or D5100, while D7100 is supposed to surpass D7000 (not sure about this one though
biggrin.gif
)

But we have to compare them as they jump right from the d600 to the d7100. There is no headphone between. It seems they wanted the d600 to replace the d2k and 5k. 

Dec 2, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
I then put on the AKG 550. Which I thought looked a lot nicer in person, and I really wanted to like them (especially $200 less than the Denons). The vocals to me sounded "tinny and distant," if that makes sense (kinda like where you use surround sound audio setting feature on a TV).

Were the pads stiff/thick, or in any case looked really new? I was a headphone store yesterday with a DX100 I'm reviewing (plus my Galaxy S3 since I plan on getting the headphones later on) and the K550 was fantastic - female vocals were very up front and extended, and really enjoyable with soprano voices. Treble was very detailed but not ear piercing; mids were there, bass was too but the treble gets most of your attention. However the unit was a little beat up getting handled by customers, and headphone stand probably got the pads too squishy. They wouldn't open the sealed boxes unless you're testing it for functionality when you purchase it.

Dec 6, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #7 of 8
Just my taste....I bought the D-600. The K550 were balanced, but it didn't offer something different, or special for me--sounded like another pair of good cans I already own. So both the AKG and the Senn's charlie875578 mentioned are respectable cans, but as for me, I already have balanced, or flat cans.... don't need another one.

D-600's are the most comfortable sets that I own. And I am starting to like the modern look as well. I think Denon put a lot of thought into it's design. Since the burn-in, I find myself not listening to my other cans...what I used to consider flat or well-balanced has started to become....well, a little boring. D-600 does not have the wide staging of say, 701's, but they are pretty spacious, compared to other closed cans, IMO.

Mar 2, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #8 of 8
I have been looking for a pair of closed headphones for work that sound great, and since Christmas have bought and retuned (in order) the B&W P3 (complete garbage), B&W P5 (slightly better but overall an [size=small]Embarrassment[/size] for that price from that company although the style is very nice), Focal Spirit One (for the price I liked these a fair amount but was worried about build quality, but getting closer), HD598 (open but I was running out of options, liked the look, not the sound so much for the price and it confirmed that open wasn't an option), Sennheiser Momentum (best sound so far, loved the look and build quality but only half covered my ears and paying for style over sound I thought), and finally 2 days ago the D600's which although not perfect, blew the others away in comfort and most importantly sound. I would never wear them walking around though, you would look like a fool they are so huge but for sitting at my office chair almost perfect. However in Canada I paid over $600US total which is my problem. I now have 28 days to find them cheaper or bite the money bullet, or return. They aren't anywhere near flat but fun is the word that comes to mind and very open soundstage for a closed headphone. Overall I have found my "almost" perfect headphones, money aside.

Matt
Nova Scotia

Users who are viewing this thread

Back