Finally have some $$(200-300 max) looking for upgrade over SR-80i's
Jul 1, 2013 at 11:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

buhd4life

New Head-Fier
Since I have some more money coming in, I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions of where to go next.

Still fairly new to the whole audiophile thing and I have had SR-80is for less than a year but can say that I really love them...I also own Senn HD-280 pros which I also enjoy but prefer Grado and open headphones a bit more...Have a Fioo E7 amp as well

I am looking purely for sound quality as I will be using this mainly for home on my laptop and maybe my HTC One (Portability would be a plus but not necessary)

Budget anywhere from 100-300 and would like them to be able to work well with my E7 amp (at least till I upgrade that as well)

Would be down for more grado's but I am also looking for a new experience perhaps...

Recently have tried HiFi Man HE-300's, Grado 325i's, HD-598...(and few others but can't remember, and all of these were not fed with the best sound quality (music off my HTC) or amped so I dont want to make any judgments yet)

Mostly Listen too: RADIOHEAD (must sound good or else haha), other alternative rock, some electronic (layered stuff like Flying lotus I enjoy), Lot of Jazz and some classical, and rap and other genres a little bit less...

Would really appreciate the help!!!!!

Jul 1, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #2 of 8
If you can, give the AKG K550s a listen. Bigger soundstage than most closed headphones (they almost sound open). More forward mids and highs that, along with the detail resolution, remind me of my Grado SR225i more than other headphones I have hear. Yet, they have sub bass extension (unlike Grados) and can be EQd for stronger bass than the SR80i or SR225i can produce. 32 ohms with enough sensitivity to run well on most portable devices.

Jul 1, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #3 of 8
Look into the Sony MDR-1R - probably the best value for money headphone that is also portable, you can get. 
They've got a fairly mid-centric sound but punch well high and low too. Should be good enough for Radiohead 
size]

Jul 3, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #7 of 8
This comparison of the DT880s in different impedance might help: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparison-beyerdynamic-dt-880-32-ohm-dt-880-250-ohm-and-dt-880-600-ohm-headphones

Jul 3, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #8 of 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back