Finally got the new PX 100s, decided to compare them to the old ones
Jun 20, 2015 at 2:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

swaffleman

100+ Head-Fier
I still have my old PX 100's. They still work and pump out great sound. 

I kept reading comparisons between the two. It seems pretty equally divided as to which one is better. 

Differences I notice (I should note that all of the listed differences are very subtle. I had my sister try out both and she felt that they sounded the same, but she isn't an audio enthusiast):

The old ones:

The older version fits a little more loosely. Could just be that they have a few years on them, though. 

The older version is a little easier to drive, but this difference is a bit insignificant to me. The new ones still get plenty loud. 

The older version is a little more aggressive sounding to me. I hear more sibilance and crunch in the mid range with rock music (like Nirvana and Metallica), as well as with the cymbals. The mids on the older version are a little more emphasized, as are the vocals. 

The bass of the older version is a little bit quieter and less defined. 

The soundstage seems a bit more upfront, although instrument placement and overall depth of sound is great. 

The new ones:

They fit a little tighter, but aren't uncomfortable at all. 

As I said, they are less loud, but they get loud enough. 

These are more laid back than the old ones. The more aggressive mid range is tamed a bit, and there is less overall sibilance (I think this sibilance could also be the "sweetness" that was often attributed to the old ones. I don't hear the drums, cymbals, or vocals as being quite as in my face through these. 

The bass has been brought up maybe just 10-20%. It is a bit more defined and has more impact, though. I don't feel that it is overpowering. 

Soundstage, while feeling a little farther back than the old ones, is about the same. 

Overall: They both have a darker sound, and both are excellent for the size and price. I think the newer versions were tweaked to sound a little more like the Koss Porta Pros, because the less forward midrange when compared to the old version and the bass boost makes them sound a bit like the Porta Pros. I find them to be nicer sounding and more detailed than the Koss phones, though. I think the newer version is more fun to listen to than the older one, as it's even more smooth sound (and more natural sound to my ears) and better bass definition makes the music sound a bit more natural. The more aggressive sound of the older ones sometimes made it seem...unnatural, although still very good and warm sounding. It's hard to describe, but sometimes I had an issue hearing tone when listening to instrument separation and different layers with the older versions, even though I could hear attack. Not having that issue with the new ones. 

Jun 21, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks for the comparison! As I mentioned in the other thread, I no longer have the original generation PX100 and your description of the older model's sound is exactly why I parted with them. I found them a bit too forward and aggressive in the mids to be enjoyable.

Later I got a pair of the PX95, which I believe uses the PX100-II driver, and I found them to be much more to my tastes.

Interesting bit about the new plug. If you have the chance, could you take a pic of the L-plug? One of the reasons I went with the PX95 over the PX100-II was because the former had a 90-degree plug.

Jun 21, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #4 of 10
I posted it in the right forum this time!

You may be the only person on this forum who currently cares about the PX 100's. I guess maybe it's a topic that has been talked about but I haven't seen TOO much discussion on the old vs. the new. 

Sure I can take a picture. 

Jun 21, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #5 of 10
I might actually be interested in buying a new pair of the PX 200 II's as well if they also had an L plug. That's why my pair kicked the bucket a while ago. Although it may be for the best not to have them, since I like the 100 II's more. 

Jun 22, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #6 of 10
The more I listen to these the more confused I am about people's complaint about the level of bass. They are slightly bassy but nothing crazy...I think they have less bass than the porta pros. It's actually really quite balanced to me. I have some Polk headphones that make these sound like they have no bass!

Jun 22, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #7 of 10
  I might actually be interested in buying a new pair of the PX 200 II's as well if they also had an L plug. That's why my pair kicked the bucket a while ago. Although it may be for the best not to have them, since I like the 100 II's more. 

By the way, my new PX 100 II's have an L plug...I kept reading on reviews that they had a straight plug. Is this some sort of new update?

Yes, we've changed the plugs for both the PX 100ii and PX 200ii recently. The new batches now sport an angled plug. 

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Jun 26, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #9 of 10
I went ahead and got a new pair of PX 200 II's. 

They have an L plug! Also, the volume imbalance problem with the volume control on the cable was fixed. My old pair, and an old pair my friend had, both had this issue where if you had the volume up all the way there would be a slight channel imbalance. I remember having to have the control down just a tiny bit. 

At least Sennheiser fixes their mistakes! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back