FINALLY Got the Edition 9! (formerly biting the bullet thread)
Sep 20, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #91 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luminette /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm guessing that an Ed 9 sounds not too unlike a Qualia - but this is purely based on my noting similarities in peoples impressions of them. I have not yet heard a Qualia

I heard them back to back - nothing alike. Qualia is faster, extremely liquid, with phenomenal detail retrieval for a dynamic. Edition 9 has much better bass impact and larger soundstage, but feels like it is lagging behind somewhat (speed/snap-wise). Tonal characteristics are very different. I got to compare them back to back, both balanced off an Apache out of Meridian 808 =).

Sep 20, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #92 of 105
after reading this thread, i feel like sending my UE9 to Alex for a recable!

Sep 21, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #93 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If we consider the O2 with 007t, that would sound close...but in reality O2 is alot faster and will get more harmonic richness in

Finally, confirmation I'm not hearing things
redface.gif
I agree O2 with 007t was faster, I wouldn't go so far as to say 'alot' faster - though granted i'm judging off memory and not direct comparison. Harmonic richness was also greater, which was the quality that I loved most about O2/007t.

The Edition 9, although a step behind in the above two fields, has the precise 3-dimensionality I remember from the O2 setup, and an extra vibrancy/immediacy to the music that feels more engaging. The Stax in comparison, although richer, also felt more distant, not as gripping.

Sep 21, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #94 of 105
Update at 75hrs:

The Ed9's are getting smoother as they continue to burn in. At 50hrs they were already formidable, now they're escalating to crazy levels. I don't think I've heard a dynamic to compare with them, for my taste and to my ears.

I'll eventually post something more coherent and review-like, for now I'm just sitting back and enjoying
biggrin.gif

Sep 21, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #95 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Update at 75hrs:

The Ed9's are getting smoother as they continue to burn in. At 50hrs they were already formidable, now they're escalating to crazy levels. I don't think I've heard a dynamic to compare with them, for my taste and to my ears.

I'll eventually post something more coherent and review-like, for now I'm just sitting back and enjoying
biggrin.gif

Just wait till you hit post 350 hours
biggrin.gif
I'm sure you've realized these headphones go "all-over-the-place" during burn in.

Have a good one
popcorn.gif

Sep 21, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #96 of 105
Quote:

I heard them back to back - nothing alike. Qualia is faster, extremely liquid, with phenomenal detail retrieval for a dynamic. Edition 9 has much better bass impact and larger soundstage, but feels like it is lagging behind somewhat (speed/snap-wise). Tonal characteristics are very different. I got to compare them back to back, both balanced off an Apache out of Meridian 808 =).

Which one of them has a more real sounding tonality? More Organic

Sep 21, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #97 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which one of them has a more real sounding tonality? More Organic

I think Qualia was more organic, while Edition 9 had this insane solidity and weight to every note, sound felt like granite.

Sep 21, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #98 of 105
This was another thing that made me feel like they may be similar - described both as having unnatural tonalities. On top of extreme speed and detail resolution - and described both as being very very good for electronic music

Edit: Yeah, I think I could see a solidity and weight to the presentation though simultaneously it's so resolving / defined - that would be a hard thing to notice but now that you mention it...

I'll be looking at that more
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 21, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #99 of 105
A bit OT, but I'd like to add nonetheless.

I guess that's why we have different headphones for different music and for different moods.

------------

On a side note I've never heard the Qualia 010. I wouldn't mind hearing it side by side with a K-1000 or SR-007 though
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 21, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #100 of 105
Quote:

redface.gif
I agree O2 with 007t was faster, I wouldn't go so far as to say 'alot' faster - though granted i'm judging off memory and not direct comparison. Harmonic richness was also greater, which was the quality that I loved most about O2/007t.

The Edition 9, although a step behind in the above two fields, has the precise 3-dimensionality I remember from the O2 setup, and an extra vibrancy/immediacy to the music that feels more engaging. The Stax in comparison, although richer, also felt more distant, not as gripping.

Yes, the UE9 is colored while the SR007MkII may not seem to be. UE9 color to me is like listening to a band or orchestra inside an auditorium or some enclosed venue while the SR007MkII is like listening to them in an outside open field arena. With the UE9 you get the sound of the reverberation from the ceiling and walls with the instruments. With the SR007MkII you get the instruments.

Of course this is an exaggeration but this is just to give some ideal as to how I think of their different sound presentations. Just my take.

Sep 21, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #101 of 105
Quote:

redface.gif

I don't want to get into an argument with regards to this here (would be uncalled for with the topic given) - but I hope we are talking about driver speed, because Omega 2 does what a dynamic driver pretty much never will speed wise, its two different worlds between O2 and Edition 9. On the other hand, I will agree that difference in PRaT between these two headphones are not as significant. One thing though...you are lucky you have not heard O2 on an amp that is not so poor for it as 007t...

To respond to Steve:
Maybe that is a nice way to describe it - with Edition 9 you hear the sound like its a room you are listening in. The same effect was noticed by my significant other when comparing ESW9 and SR-003. I think that mostly has to do with the fact that Edition and ESW9 are closed headphones, because with both SR-003 and 007 you get no sense of walls limiting the space, there is a feeling of space extending as far as there are instruments...you get this effect with a few open dynamics when they are well driven too.

Sep 21, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #102 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkkopi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
after reading this thread, i feel like sending my UE9 to Alex for a recable!

How about spending some money on a better amp and source than what you listen in your sig? Raptor is not the amp for Edition 9, no way.

Sep 21, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #103 of 105
Quote:

How about spending some money on a better amp and source than what you listen in your sig? Raptor is not the amp for Edition 9, no way.

I'm not using raptor with the ED9, currently using XJ-03 or Lisa 3 with it. I'm waiting for my Lavry DA10 to arrive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back