FINALLY Got the Edition 9! (formerly biting the bullet thread)
Sep 18, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #76 of 105
Jason,

Give them a good burn-in, so by the upcoming Sydney meet they are ready. If time allows, I may pop in and bring my stock cabled pair of Ed9, Opera and DAC1.

Looks like good opportunity to compare stock vs APS recabled Ed9. Couple of blind test, maybe? How's that sounds to you?

Cheers

Sep 18, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #77 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lad27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Give them a good burn-in, so by the upcoming Sydney meet they are ready. If time allows, I may pop in and bring my stock cabled pair of Ed9, Opera and DAC1.

Sounds good, hope you can make it
biggrin.gif

They're burning in as we speak with a mixed playlist on Foobar. By the time I get home from work they'll be at 24hrs. I plan to have them at 200hrs or more by the meet time
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, and mine are one of the units that still has a serial number. 595 reporting in
biggrin.gif

Sep 18, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #80 of 105
ed9aps.jpg

Edition 9 with 6 foot APS V3 cable in carbon techflex sleeve, fit into flight case without folding wires sharply. I hold it down in place as I close the flight case, so it doesn't spring out like it is trying to do in the photo.

Sep 20, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #82 of 105
Impressions at 50hrs:

Definitely much improved over out-of-the-box. The whole presentation is smoother, mids are slightly more liquid. Dynamics have also improved, attacks are sharper and tighter.

There is still a bit of lingering glare though, not sure if that will pass with continued burn-in, or if its a result of poor synergy with the Pico. I'm thinking a powerful, dynamic tube amp would pair best with these, from what I'm hearing so far. They seem to possess an innate vibrancy that would be enhanced even futher with tubes.

The Ed9 is actually starting to remind me a bit of the O2, when driven by the 007t. The O2 was more tonally rich, and also somewhat darker, with mellower highs and less immediate dynamics, but there seems to be a similarity there to my ears. Has anyone else ever thought this about the Ed9 and O2?

Sep 20, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #84 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Ed9 is actually starting to remind me a bit of the O2, when driven by the 007t. The O2 was more tonally rich, and also somewhat darker, with mellower highs and less immediate dynamics, but there seems to be a similarity there to my ears. Has anyone else ever thought this about the Ed9 and O2?

For me the my SR007MKII is more refined and precise using my KGSS while my UE9 is brings me into the emotion of the music more out of my Yamamoto HA-02. I enjoy both. I can finally hear what people say when they talk about a closed phone (UE9) and the open sound of the SR007MKII.

Both setups have a different and beautiful sound.

Sep 20, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #85 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Planar_head /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, does the Ed9 have the speed and trasparency of the 'stats?

Or is it a bit more colored?

I'd be hard pressed to say at this point. The Ed9 does seem remarkably fast, it may even be faster than my old SA5000 (although that was stock cabled, so unfair comparison). O2 with a 717 or KGSS would likely beat it on sheer speed and transient response, O2 with 007t I would rate them about equal. Thats going off memory though, I do not have an O2 here to compare them against
smily_headphones1.gif

It is coloured, there's no doubt about that. But that's what I was after anyway, so it doesn't bother me
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 20, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #86 of 105
Quote:

Impressions at 50hrs:

Definitely much improved over out-of-the-box. The whole presentation is smoother, mids are slightly more liquid. Dynamics have also improved, attacks are sharper and tighter.

There is still a bit of lingering glare though, not sure if that will pass with continued burn-in, or if its a result of poor synergy with the Pico. I'm thinking a powerful, dynamic tube amp would pair best with these, from what I'm hearing so far. They seem to possess an innate vibrancy that would be enhanced even futher with tubes.

My Edition 9 took around 100 hours to kill the glare from the APS V3 cable, and I had the Edition 9 fully burned-in before re-cabling.

The Pico is not the best with Edition 9, but it isn't bad either - I thought the bass was slightly less controlled vs Predator, but not enough to be worth selling the Pico for a Predator. It shouldn't add any glare - it's the cable needing another 48-72 hours of running in.

As for O2, you just described more dissimilar things than similarities
tongue.gif
I don't recall any other headphone sounding like an Edition 9, and I heard O2 on an ES-1, Woo GES, and SRM-1 Mk2 Pro and liked the Edition 9 better.

Sep 20, 2008 at 4:41 AM Post #87 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for O2, you just described more dissimilar things than similarities
tongue.gif
I don't recall any other headphone sounding like an Edition 9, and I heard O2 on an ES-1, Woo GES, and SRM-1 Mk2 Pro and liked the Edition 9 better.

I know, I can't quite put my finger on it. It just has a similarity there that put me in mind of the O2.

Sep 20, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #88 of 105
I'm guessing that an Ed 9 sounds not too unlike a Qualia - but this is purely based on my noting similarities in peoples impressions of them. I have not yet heard a Qualia

Sep 20, 2008 at 6:43 AM Post #89 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luminette /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm guessing that an Ed 9 sounds not too unlike a Qualia - but this is purely based on my noting similarities in peoples impressions of them. I have not yet heard a Qualia

Now that would be a twist. if it turns out this way, I may pick this up sometime much later.

Sep 20, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #90 of 105
Quote:

If we consider the O2 with 007t, that would sound close...but in reality O2 is alot faster and will get more harmonic richness in (and has as much treble as Edition 9 if you don't use an underpowered amp like 007t). The glare you are not liking will go away though, and the sound will become very solid with Edition 9. Tube amp might be not necessary, I think they worked better with B22 than any other amp I heard them on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back