Finally got Senn 590! First impressions and question
Jan 8, 2002 at 8:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Alexx

New Head-Fier
Well, VERY long waiting I've finally got my new cans. First impression is - WOW! They are SO comfortable! The sound is a little unusual, but very pleasant. I really love them!
But there is also a little problem - the bass is somewhat weak. It is not REALLY weak, but a little weaker than I've expected. I think it's because I'm using very cheap Sony CD player ($150) as a source and Harman/Kardon 4000 receiver as an amplifier. So what should you recommned me? What is the weakest link? I'm planning to buy an inexpensive solid state headphone amp like Creek OBH-11SE; will it help? I'm also planning to upgrade the source to Pioneer DV-545 DVD player, and, may be, pairing it with ART DI/O DAC.

Jan 8, 2002 at 9:13 AM Post #2 of 11
whoa....you seem to be rushing into things! First off, did u have sure that you broke them in properly? If not broken in, the 590s (and just about every headphone in existence) will sound bright and lack bass.

However, the problem might lie in the headphone itself. While I have no personally heard the 590s myself, I did quite a bit of research on Head-Fi to decide between the 580s and 590s. What I found out was that the 590 lacked bass extension and was brighter than the 580s. And some already find the 580s a little bright. So if you do not like the brightness, perhaps you might want to consider another headphone?

As for the other stuff you are considering to get...I dont think the CDP or the DAC are neccessary yet, especially if all you want to do is improve the bass.

I have no idea how well the 590s and the Creek work together, but if the Creek can impove the sound as well as just about every headphone that touches it, perhaps that might be the improvement you might be seeking.

However, I still think that the main problem is break in or the headphone itself.

Hope this helps!

Jan 8, 2002 at 9:55 AM Post #3 of 11
I think the 590 has more bass extension than the 580.

Jan 8, 2002 at 10:13 AM Post #4 of 11
Well, I've heard a lot about 590's long break-in time, and I've performed about 30 hours of break-in. However, the changes where little. The only real improvement I've noticed was the highs; they became somewhat tamed and natural (out of the box they where too bright and had unpleasant metal coloration). Bass has almost remained the same. Thank you for suggestion, I'll continue break-in.

Jan 8, 2002 at 10:35 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Ctn
I think the 590 has more bass extension than the 580.

I think that if you don't have a good amp, the 590 have a bit more extension, as the 580 tend to roll off more quickly without good power. However, with a good amp, they are probably pretty comparable.

Jan 8, 2002 at 10:37 AM Post #6 of 11
oO have you tried both on a good amp?

Is the Porta Corda running of 24v good enough?

Jan 8, 2002 at 10:40 AM Post #7 of 11
Actually, I edited my response, Ctn
wink.gif
I was thinking of the 600, not the 580. My guess is that the 580 and 590 will be pretty comparable out of a good amp.

Out of a PortaCorda? The 590 will probably have deeper bass, since they're more efficient.

Jan 8, 2002 at 11:17 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
Out of a PortaCorda? The 590 will probably have deeper bass, since they're more efficient. [/B]

*grumble* looks at Porta Corda *grumble*

I'm feeling cranky today

*grumble*
wink.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 8, 2002 at 11:31 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs

*grumble* looks at Porta Corda *grumble*

I'm feeling cranky today

*grumble*
wink.gif

I hope you 725 goes well for u
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2002 at 11:33 AM Post #10 of 11
Dunno--as I said in the other thread, I'm still checking to see if it really has a problem
confused.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 8, 2002 at 4:52 PM Post #11 of 11
i use mine with the standard OBH-11 and with this combo they deliver the deepest, heaviest, most controlled bass of ANY of my headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back