Finally got my JMT built Cmoy!
Oct 24, 2002 at 4:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

elnero

Headphoneus Supremus
Well I finally got my JMT built Cmoy. For those of you not familiar with my saga I’ll explain a bit. I was originally intending on a Meta42 to pair with my D25S to drive my HD280’s and HD580’s but due to financial constraints at the time I had to go with a Cmoy instead. (The cost difference may not seem like much in the US but with the exchange rate it becomes quite significant in Canadian funds.)

I received the Cmoy a couple of weeks ago. I immediately ran out to Rat Shack and bought what seemed like the perfect AC adapter, variable 18/24V 1000mA. Got back plugged it in and all I got was loud noise. I then ran out and grabbed a couple of 9V’s. With these I got nuthin’. I then PM’d JMT and he said it sounded the opamps were bad and asked to send it back to him and he would fix it up no charge and he would reimburse the shipping charges as well.

Later that day I was talking to Highwaystar about what happened and clued me into the fact the adapter was actually an AC to AC adapter, not AC to DC. Boy did I feel like a moron. A word of warning as it seems I’m not the only one this has happened to. The packaging on this adapter at Rat Shack is very deceiving and unless you look closely you may miss the fact that it’s AC to AC, especially those not that well versed in AC and DC. I informed JMT of my mistake and he being the great guy he is was still going to do the repairs at N/C and I would pay for the shipping but I didn’t feel that would be fair to him to pay for my mistake. If you take into account all the messaging back and forth figuring out configurations and then the time to actually build the amp these guys really don’t make much for all their time and effort.

Two weeks after sending it back to JMT it has arrived. I’ve been playing with it at work all this morning. In a couple of words this thing is amazing. I love it. It was an across the board improvement and it’s not even broken in. Bass is deeper, more powerful and better defined, midrange is crystal clear and the highs are sweet and smooth without losing their sparkle. Soundstaging has also improved as well as the air around the instruments. Overall I’m amazed at the ease the music has now. And a Meta42 is supposed to be in a different league than this!?! Well it looks like I’m saving my pennies.

Thanx JMT, you da man!

Phil

Oct 24, 2002 at 4:45 PM Post #2 of 8
thanks for the post, phil!

i'd prob make the same mistake
biggrin.gif

glad you like the amp...ill have one soon enough, but may have to order a cmoy for my g/f since you're another in a long list to endorse them

and thanks JMT for your awesome cust. service and great amps!

Oct 24, 2002 at 11:47 PM Post #3 of 8
Dude-

Now that's one stupid mistake. How come I know? I made the exact mistake (same RS adapter) just last week on my META42. It was initially built w/ 2 9v batteries & I sent it in & had JMT add an AC input. Luckily, I didn't blow out my opamps - batteries worked fine & I replaced the adapter with a RS 273-1776, a 12V 1000mA AC/DC adapter. Works great (listening to Grant Green right now off it).

JMT is the best - so as I got the buzz, I immediately pulled the plug & emailed JMT. He told me the problem & I got it resolved. The only problem is I feel like a doofus, it's nice to know I have company!
tongue.gif

Oct 25, 2002 at 7:01 PM Post #4 of 8
Curious--did you bring your amp with you to Radio Shack when you bought the wall wart? When I went in the first time to get a wall wart for my CMOY they had no idea what I was talking about. I had to take the CMOY with me next time to get what I needed.

Yup, JMT is amazing (and Grant Green's not bad, either--"Feelin' the Spirit" is one of my all-time favorites!).

Oct 25, 2002 at 7:13 PM Post #5 of 8
FCJ,

No, I didn't bring the META with me when I went to RS. JMT let me know what size the plug was should be & I got the appropriate adaptaplug to go with the unit. Course if I had brought it I probably wouldn't have got the wrong thing to begin with
eek.gif

Oct 25, 2002 at 7:24 PM Post #6 of 8
I didn't bring mine either. Between JMT and Highwaystar I had all the specs I needed. I just goofed up when I bought it by not seeing that it was AC to AC. To be fair to myself though the packaging is pretty poor if your not that well versed.

Oct 25, 2002 at 7:43 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by elnero
To be fair to myself though the packaging is pretty poor if your not that well versed.

You're right about that. All of the wall warts are on the same selling wall and all have the same packaging. If you don't know what you're looking for it can be daunting.

Oct 25, 2002 at 11:15 PM Post #8 of 8
JMT is an awesome guy to deal with. I got my META42 from him on wednesday and he answered all my stupid questions with a smile. Its great to see someone put so much work into his amps, and willing to answer 'stupid' questions
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back