Finally, Got my GreenCard after 4+ years waiting
Jan 27, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #16 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys, I just want to share this great news. I finally got my US permanent resident approved 2 days ago. I just got the letter today. I applied for it since Sept 03. My application was stuck because my FBI Name check was pending.

This is how FBI name check works. They put your name on their database, if it doesn't have a hit, it's clear, however if they got a hit, they'll put aside your application until someone can pull their record and verify it. It took them 4 years and a lawsuit to clear my name. Isn't it ironic since I assume if your name got a hit, there's a possibility that this person is actually a 'criminal' or 'terrorist suspect' and it's supposed to be in their interest to clear this out asap. Imagine if I'm a terrorist, basically they just give me time to finish whatever I'm supposed to do by living here legally all those time.

I have researched all through the internet (just google 'FBI name check') I have done everything, making appointment to USCIS, writing letter to conggressmans, senators, FBI, POTUS, First Lady, Vice President, etc. Finally my choice is either sue FBI & USCIS to do their job or wait forever until they clear my FBI Name check. I sued them last August and it finally pays off. What a waste of 4 year for nothing, I should have been able to apply for citizenship if they've done their job correctly. The worse thing is, there's no guarantee I won't experience the same problem when it's my time to apply for citizenship in the next 4 years. It has been stressfull at times to get your life on hold for 4 years because of their incompetent.

For Now, I finally got myself a green card, woohoo.

its my first time knowing someone who is so happy to pay tax on his worldwide assets

Jan 27, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #17 of 85
Thank's guys. It has been a huge relief for me getting this greencard. One more steps toward citizenship
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's an awful system and something that I'm quite ashamed of. Most Americans have no idea of what kind of struggle it is for good, honest, hard working people to get their green cards. Once you're in the system, you're not allowed to work and yet you're not allowed to leave the country. One of my friends from Jamaica wasn't able to go back home for her grandfather's funeral (let alone to see him during his final illness). It she were to leave the US, she wouldn't be allowed back in. Yet, for however many years as it might take, she's not allowed to work. It makes no sense at all.

Yes, it's very frustrating, making appointment at USCIS doesn't help since most of them doesn't even know what happens to the case. I'm fortunate being able to work and travel during my application.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats RYCeT! Now make sure to be at CanJam08 because I am pretty sure your luck was made by attending HeadFest07!

Thank's Voltron, I hope I'll be able to attend canjam08.
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #18 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Konig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
its my first time knowing someone who is so happy to pay tax on his worldwide assets

It's easy for you to say that being born in a developed country. Try to be a citizen of 3rd world country and see what opportunity will you get.

Jan 27, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #19 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Canada is always relevant though. Dang it! They want to be anyway, so let's all pay attention to who and what they are and whatever it is they do up there. Here's a fun quiz:

Are they DEAD or CANADIAN? quiz -- free game
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: Hey, I didn't do too bad! I got 17/20 correct. I still couldn't name all of the provinces though, let alone know where they're at.

Whooo! 19/20!

Congrats RYCeT!

Wow, what a tremendous hassle to immigrate to this country.
Hmm, wonder why there's........aww nevermind, you know
rolleyes.gif

Jan 27, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #20 of 85
Welcome. Sounds like you're already a citizen, suing, complaining - you'll fit right in with rest of this bunch!

Jan 27, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #21 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Methos1979 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome. Sounds like you're already a citizen, suing, complaining - you'll fit right in with rest of this bunch!

That's in the handbook they give you with the card. Like the one they gave me here on marriage, and 99% of the book was about divorce.

Jan 27, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #22 of 85
Quote:

Well, given the alternative of being a good citizen and got my application granted in maybe 20 years, I prefer suing & complaining.
rolleyes.gif
hopefully you won't get the same treatment when you need something done.
wink.gif

Jan 27, 2008 at 5:18 AM Post #23 of 85
"Ask not what your country can do you for you, but what you can do for your country." JFK. You might want to write that down. I might be on the test.

So, just what have you done for this country besides hang out and enjoy it's hard earned freedoms for four years? What is your plan to give back to this great country you have stuggled so mightily to gain entry and citizenship to?

It always amazes me how young people just think that living here - and I'm talking about the ones who already are citizens - entitles them to so much of this country's great freedoms and yet they have done nothing for them. They complain, bitch and moan. But do they serve? Do they step up to the plate? None I've ever meant. Hard to take them seriously.

Freedom isn't free people. Is the burecratic process a nightmare right now? Sure. I wonder why. Could it be that all the resources are being used to keep religous fanatics from dropping buildings? Maybe.

I applaud you for at least coming in the front door and doing things legally. I don't even mind the lawsuits. Now take your greencard, get you citizenship and do something with it like run for office to help fix it, or maybe even do a stint in the military to lend a hand there.

And again - welcome.

To the guy who wanted to go to Canada: "Don't let the door hit you where the good Lord split you." Buh-bye.

Jan 27, 2008 at 9:12 AM Post #24 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's easy for you to say that being born in a developed country. Try to be a citizen of 3rd world country and see what opportunity will you get.

I totally agree with this
smily_headphones1.gif

Next Aug I'll take first steps on the US to study. It may be too soon to think about this, but, I do hate to wait 3,4 years in order to get the green-card
frown.gif

Jan 27, 2008 at 9:58 AM Post #25 of 85
Congrats RYCeT! I believe in a planet without certain types of borders....even if it is completely absurdly naive.

Jan 27, 2008 at 2:05 PM Post #26 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations! Welcome to a country that lies to you about almost everything.
smily_headphones1.gif
Me personally, I'd like to move to Canada eventually.

Welcome to our great country, warts and all. We aren't perfect, but we allow anybody to say anything about anything. I've lived in Canada, another great country.

Jan 27, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #27 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to our great country, warts and all. We aren't perfect, but we allow anybody to say anything about anything. I've lived in Canada, another great country.

That's true, US is not perfect. I've been living in Australia and have gone to Canada. There are several things that US as a developed country lack from other developed countries, such as medical coverage, crime rate, etc, however there are also several things that US have, American Dreams, to be as successfull as you want to be with your own skill and hard work, less discrimination. There are many opportunities available here in US, I have a friend here in US being a top management in a fortune 500 companies, He still have a thick accent however able to achieve that position because of his hardwork and skill. Being in Australia and work there, I see that kind of situation will be harder to get and most likely he will stuck in middle management. I got friends who's smart, graduated as pharmacist, accountant, civil engineering, etc but getting hard time looking for work in my country. If they're here, with their skill and brain, their life will be so much better.

Quote:

we allow anybody to say anything about anything

This is also the greatest thing about US. You guys might have taken it for granted but believe me this is a luxury in other country. You can get beaten up or even killed for what you've said.

I believe holding a citizenship of a developed country is the best handicap you have in life. Please, don't take them for granted. There are many who wish to be in your position.

Call me cheesy but I'm trying to achieve that American goal and get my citizenship in 4 years
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #28 of 85
Good for you, RYCeT!

Is VERY nice to see an outside perspective. We whine and ramble on, with all our American angst, when we actually don't know what it's truly like to be in another's shoes.

Congrats.

Jan 27, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #29 of 85
Congratulations. It can take a while.. took me over 2 years to get mine. Next step, I got my citizenship exam/interview next monday... Wish me luck
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #30 of 85
Quote:

"Ask not what your country can do you for you, but what you can do for your country." JFK. You might want to write that down. I might be on the test.

So, just what have you done for this country besides hang out and enjoy it's hard earned freedoms for four years? What is your plan to give back to this great country you have stuggled so mightily to gain entry and citizenship to?

It always amazes me how young people just think that living here - and I'm talking about the ones who already are citizens - entitles them to so much of this country's great freedoms and yet they have done nothing for them. They complain, bitch and moan. But do they serve? Do they step up to the plate? None I've ever meant. Hard to take them seriously.

Freedom isn't free people. Is the burecratic process a nightmare right now? Sure. I wonder why. Could it be that all the resources are being used to keep religous fanatics from dropping buildings? Maybe.

I applaud you for at least coming in the front door and doing things legally. I don't even mind the lawsuits. Now take your greencard, get you citizenship and do something with it like run for office to help fix it, or maybe even do a stint in the military to lend a hand there.

And again - welcome.

To the guy who wanted to go to Canada: "Don't let the door hit you where the good Lord split you." Buh-bye.

Since you refer to 'young people' I assume you're not (I'm with your there), and since you're quick to question the OPs help in four years, you forgot to get on your soapbox and state your qualifications. What in your long years have you helped this country with? I assume welcoming neighbor is not one of them. Also bitching about bitching is still bitching. Since it seems to matter to you, as a vet in the first Gulf War, I say stop it. I guess I'm actually pleasantly surprised it took 23 posts for someone get their political agenda out. I would have expected less around here.

And everyone knows freedom is a buck 'o five.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back