finally got me a pair of e2c
Jun 23, 2004 at 8:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

evo

Head-Fier
after hesitating for so long, i've finally bought the e2

noticed that the packaging looks different from the ones i saw online, so here's a hastily taken pic

first impressions were merely ok, sounded muddy compared to my mx500

then i realised that i had not achieved a good fit

after getting a good fit, the bass started coming online

more comments to follow...

p.s. still wondering whether i should have splurged roughly us$100 on something while i'm unemployed...
frown.gif

Jun 23, 2004 at 8:14 PM Post #2 of 21
what are your opinions on the E2's versus the Grado SR60? I just bought a pair of E2's myself, and they're rolled off on the high-end, but I think it's due to how they are seated in the ear canal-- too deep and/or at slightly the wrong angle gives a more muffled sound.

Jun 23, 2004 at 8:22 PM Post #3 of 21
actually a bit too early to make accurate comparisons

but i think SR60 & E2C are meant for totally different scenarios

if i was in a quiet room, i'll pick the SR60 easily, wider soundstage, better bass and treble, not as muddy as E2C

but in a portable environment like on public transportation, it's a totally different ball game

i tried SR60 once for such a scenario, quite unsuitable

external sounds come in, the cable is too long and too rigid

portable scenarios call for compromises

Jun 23, 2004 at 10:10 PM Post #4 of 21
How do you like the E2c's vs the Sennheiser mx500s? I already have the SR-60s, but there are some situations it'd like a more...discreet pair of cans. I don't care so much about the isolation features i'm more worried about sound quality vs value.

I've seen some pics of the E2c and i know it's superficial, but i really like the carry case they include. It's stupid but that adds to the overall value.

Basically, are the E2cs so much better than the mx500s that i should pay $100 instead of $15?

Jun 24, 2004 at 12:58 AM Post #5 of 21
good luck with the E2. I owned mine for 8 months and they worked very well for me for portable cans with iPod - quite rugged and good bang for the buck.

they can be found for under $100. the best price I've seen quoted is in this thread but the vendor was not named - you might want to check it out or ask here: http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...030#post863030

I paid $79 one year ago at a local Guitar Center and on-line vendors like microphonesolutions.com will price match.

Jun 24, 2004 at 4:57 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by theBishop
How do you like the E2c's vs the Sennheiser mx500s? I already have the SR-60s, but there are some situations it'd like a more...discreet pair of cans. I don't care so much about the isolation features i'm more worried about sound quality vs value.

I've seen some pics of the E2c and i know it's superficial, but i really like the carry case they include. It's stupid but that adds to the overall value.

Basically, are the E2cs so much better than the mx500s that i should pay $100 instead of $15?

sound quality: e2c does not seem to beat mx500 convincingly
value: mx500 are the best value in headphones, they are the cheapest headphones that a head-fier wouldn't mind being seen in

i've got problems with the carry case, it's small & cute but does not seem to have enough space to coil the e2c, main problem being accomodating the 2-into-1 link and the L mini plug, anyone with solutions?

diminishing marginal returns hits the moment u move beyond the mx500s

i need to try the e2c more to make sure that they are fitting properly and that i'm getting the best sound that they can produce

Jun 24, 2004 at 5:30 AM Post #7 of 21
You need to have the e2c stuff really deep into your ears to achieve good fit. Once you get them to the sweet spot, they kill the mx500 in sound quality.
I borrowed my friend's mx500 for one whole school year. Last month I decided to buy the e2c. Once I tried them on, I immediately gave the mx500 back since there was no competition.

Jun 24, 2004 at 5:40 AM Post #8 of 21
I finally took the plunge also and got E2Cs, and I was wondering the same thing you were with the MX500s, but once I got a good seal, the isolation and comfort made them all worth it. The MX500's don't fit my right ear well and aren't that comfortable IMO. They sound great though. When I first got the E2Cs, I thought they sounded hollow, but then I realized they weren't in far enough and once I got the seal, I was in heaven. I am sure the Ety 4's sound more detailed, but I couldn't spend that much. I am happy I finally took the plunge and can't wait for a nice plane ride with them, instead of my PX200s.

Jun 24, 2004 at 10:15 AM Post #10 of 21
after a bit of trial & error, here's my take on using the case

place the headphones in the central enclosure

wind a bit of the cord before exiting the bottom notch [top notch is the one nearer the hinge between the 2 halves of the case] to go to the outer enclosure

wind [not too tightly] around the outer enclosure

hopefully, u will find that the 2-into-1 connector will be near the hinge part of the case, where there's more space for it

wind some more and slot the cord thru the bottom notch again near the L plug end

hopefully the L mini plug will fit in with the headphones back in the central enclosure

will monitor to see if cords are ok with this treatment

i doubt i'll have the patience to do this while i'm rushing off the bus

maybe i'll just figure out a way to remove the central part of the case...

pics for reference

Jun 24, 2004 at 4:25 PM Post #11 of 21
I never noticed the E2 sound to change over the 8 months I owned them so burn in did not affect them IMO. I also read similar results posted by Sugarfried based on measurements of the devices over time at Shure.

I never used the zip-spool case that came with my E2 as I felt it stressed the cord too much at the earpiece and at the jack. I always wrapped the cord loosely around 3 fingers and stuffed them in the flap of my iPod super-dooper case for a nice compact package. This way I'm never without phones. You can also use a mint tin as a small case too or remove the spool from the Shure case (should only need an allen or hex wrench though I haven't looked at it recently). If you can't remove the spool, you can buy the E5 zip-spool case as this case does NOT have a spool in it.

Jun 24, 2004 at 10:27 PM Post #13 of 21
I have the sr-80s, and planning to buy either the er-6 or the e2c, but i dont know which to buy. I've heard that the er-6 are better, but others say e2c are better. Anyone here know which to buy (I've got an offer for the er-6 for $85)

Jun 25, 2004 at 3:53 AM Post #14 of 21
I'm in the same boat as dimetrod. I'm leaning towards the E2cs because i've heard they sound better, but the Ety name means quality so...

I also am wondering if i should just go the wimpy way this time and get the MX500s. It's not the money that bothers me so long as it's ~100$, i just want a good value with a good, open listening expirience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back