Finally Building My Custom Turntable! **IT'S DONE!**
Oct 8, 2008 at 6:28 AM Post #16 of 58
Given your body of work, I cannot wait to see the end result.
If it even looks half as good as many of your custom creations and has the sound to back it up, this will be well worth the effort.

Best of Luck!

Oct 8, 2008 at 11:20 AM Post #17 of 58
Thanks Germania, very kind words.

I came out of the womb with the need to create things, and in 7th grade I was introduced to the wonders of wood by my shop teacher Mr. Sumner. That changed my life.

I'm quite saddened that so many schools no longer offer shop classes.
frown.gif

Oct 8, 2008 at 1:55 PM Post #18 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Jay. You getting much time with your system lately? Still wanting Bloodwood on the new CDP?

Not really, too damn busy.
tongue.gif

I'm going to get some good listening done tonight after I do a bit of cleaning though.

Not sure about the CD player. The look of it is growing on me, but it is my natural inclination to put bloodwood on everything... so we'll have to see which side wins out.
biggrin.gif

Oct 11, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #19 of 58
Today I fabbed up the Walnut side pieces. They're pretty straight forward with a little arch cut into the bottom. But they have a shelf piece on the top that will stick out about 3/8" over the side, and will also cover about 3/16" of the plinth core as well, so as not to leave any gap where the Walnut side meets the Burled Maple top.

I'm not sure if that makes sense, but here's a side view drawing...

They're in clamps now, but should get installed tomorrow w/pics to follow.

But just so I don't leave you empty handed, here are some pics of the holes I milled underneath the plinth to hold the shot fill damping. I knew it would be a PITA to do once the sides were in place, so I made the decision to go ahead with them. The caps are 1/4" plywood and should hold the shot in place fine.

After I install the Walnut side pieces I'll start milling the 2" square corner pieces that will also hold the cone feet. Then the armboard will finish up the woodwork.

I've decided to try out a new finish. I'm a big fan of the DIY network's show "Woodworks" and it's host David Marks is an incredible woodworker. He gives the brand names of the finish products he uses on the website, and it's not pure Tung Oil (he says he's used these products since 1984). There are two products by the same manufacturer, one is a sealer and the other is a top coat. They are oil based finishes, but with urethane and other additives. One coat of sealer and four coats of the top coat w/0000 steel wool buffings in between. They are in transit, but should arrive early this week, and I'll let you know what I think of them.

Oct 11, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #20 of 58
David Marks is quickly gaining on Norm in my book as well, but giving up my tung (linseed) oil will be tough.... we'll have to talk this over in Houston.

Thank God I haven't found this vinyl facination... I'll bring you my last vestiges as a 'good riddance'.
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 11, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #21 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
David Marks is quickly gaining on Norm in my book as well, but giving up my tung (linseed) oil will be tough.... we'll have to talk this over in Houston.

Thank God I haven't found this vinyl facination... I'll bring you my last vestiges as a 'good riddance'.
tongue_smile.gif

It's mainly Tung w/Linseed and other ingredients. It's just got some other additives to strengthen it, but it's basically the exact same look and application as Tung Oil.

I was a big vinyl guy in the day, as most of us older "philes" were, but convenience caused me to get rid of my albums and spinner.

I just got bitten by that luscious vinyl sound again at a visit to luvdunhill's place. And good condition used vinyl is very cheap now.

Oct 12, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #24 of 58
I got the corner pillars milled up, sanded, glued and screwed into place today. I plugged the holes with Cherry dowel stock, but haven't cut or sanded the dowels flush yet, so no pics of that yet. Here are some pics of "Colossus" with it's pillars and feet though...

Everything is sanded to 320 grit now, and after I mill up the armboard the finishing will get underway.

Oct 14, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #26 of 58
OK last installment for a little while. Today after work I milled up the armboard.

Everything is sanded and ready for finishing, which if the weather cooperates will start tomorrow. It'll take a few days to complete the finishing, and I won't bother posting anymore pics until it's done.

I decided to make a little pattern out of 1/4" plywood for setting the tonearm distance. One end has a 1/2" hole which fits perfectly over the bearing, then exactly 222mm from the center of that hole is the center of a 3/4" hole. That hole lines up with the 3/4" inside diameter of the VTA bushing. Once I line up the bushing exactly over the hole the armboard is perfectly aligned.

Oct 14, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #30 of 58
That is AWESOME!!!!

I like the armboard arrangement a LOT. Is the armboard on little sliders? Nice touch.

I have had the worlds hardest time mounting some carts on a "properly" mounted rega arm. 2mm "short" is way better IME, but I guess you dont really have to worry about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back