Finally bought the RS1
Apr 7, 2006 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Clarity

100+ Head-Fier
Thanks to board member Cheechoz I am now a proud new owner of the RS1. I started out with the MS1, moved on the the HF1 (still an awesome headphone) and finally decided it was time for the RS1.

I've only been a member here for a few months and just started out with this hobby so I don't feel I have enough experience in giving a detailed review. All I can say is WOW. They have exceeded my expatations and I think they were worth every penny. My next step is to upgrade my source and possibly look into a tube amp.

Between the RS1 and HF1 I love them both. They each have their own sound signature and Its really hard for me to choose one over the other.

Thanks for reading and I'm very glad to be a part of the Headfi community. My only complaint is my wallet now has to go to the emergency room
icon10.gif

Apr 7, 2006 at 1:42 AM Post #2 of 18
If it eases your wallet's pains any, John Grado designed his line to go with solid state.

Apr 7, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
If it eases your wallet's pains any, John Grado designed his line to go with solid state.

I would hardly call a JRC4556 epoxied into a $300 wood box easy on the wallet. (smile)

Apr 7, 2006 at 2:58 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn

He did? Then why does he use a Melos amp
confused.gif

Apr 7, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy
Just because they might be designed that way doesn't mean they still wouldn't sound better with tubes. One day I too will have tubes.... one day.

Maybe he did design them with SS but I certainly prefer Grado's with tubes. With the Rs-1's I only like it with tubes. But it is a prefernce thing.

Apr 7, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #7 of 18
I thought John was a Tube freek and likes records???
He didnt make the Grado headphones to match his SS amp............he designed the amp after the headphones.

I think he designed the headphones with tubed stuff.

Apr 7, 2006 at 4:48 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n
I thought John was a Tube freek and likes records???
He didnt make the Grado headphones to match his SS amp............he designed the amp after the headphones.

I think he designed the headphones with tubed stuff.

The "matched" amp for the RS1 is the RA1, which is a fairly simple solid state amp in a RS1 matching wooden box. For the most part, it's widely agreed around here that Grados LOVE solid state gear.

If so, that means that the RS1 was the cheapest $700 I ever spent...

Apr 7, 2006 at 11:13 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
He did? Then why does he use a Melos amp
confused.gif

Maybe the same reason that the RS-1 ships with bowl pads but was "designed" to be used with flats?
icon10.gif

Apr 7, 2006 at 12:42 PM Post #10 of 18
I'll take a Grado with tubes over SS any day.

Apr 7, 2006 at 3:05 PM Post #12 of 18
The RS-1 mates well with the RA-1 well yes, for a solid state...and is preferable for me in recordings like the wall mfsl on cd...

whereas I prefer the RS-1 with the Tubes on music like Bob Marley, and bright jazz recordings...
the earmax modded that I have to suit PS-1's, RS-1's and other Grados works well with the tubes I have, yummy the tubes make the music, warm with the RS-1's.
Want to grab a Melos SHA-1 as I understand those do swell with the RS-1's too..
I love the cans.
580smile.gif

Apr 7, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #13 of 18
I've used Grado 325is and HF-1s with HeadRoom Home, Headroom Micro, Benchmark DAC1 and now with the Raptor. I won't swear that each of the components were as burned in as they are going to get, or that you would share my taste, but my Grados love the Raptor best.

Apr 7, 2006 at 11:53 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_McBob
Great minds think alike, I went from MS-1 to HF-1 to RS-1
smily_headphones1.gif

Absolutely
biggrin.gif
Although I can live without the MS1 I'm positive I can't part with the HF1
biggrin.gif

Each day I listen to the RS1 I appreciate it more and more. Can't wait to finally try it out with some tubes. I keep hearing all these good things about how much better they sound. So far, I've been looking at the singlepower ppx slam, unless someone can convince me otherwise. As for souce, not too sure yet as there are several CDPs out there in the $600-$800 range. The only limiting factor of course will be my wallet and how much more pain it can handle.

BTW does anyone want to sell me there wooden box the RS1s used to come in. Surely they're just sitting in your closet
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2006 at 5:48 PM Post #15 of 18
Congrats, the RS-1s are really great cans. For the record, I think they pair very well with tubes. I enjoyed mine thoroughly with a Gilmore Lite + DPS, but since I got my MPX3 slam, they're just magical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back