Finally Bought/Received My Reimyo!
Dec 24, 2005 at 2:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

TheGhostWhoWalks

500+ Head-Fier
Well, after months and months of meets and testing and me selling of practically everything I own, I finally bought a used Reimyo on Audiogon.

It arrived a few days ago and I spent about 14 hours straight with it yesterday. What can I say but.... THIS, my friends, is what music is supposed to sound like. I threw an entire range of music at it and it handled everything perfectly. The first thing that immediately struck me is... It is completely transparent. It handles everything as if it were equals. It doesn't favor classical or metal or jazz or techno (I would imagine, I don't listen to much techno, electronic music though) or anything. It just spins what it's presented and digs every bit of musical information out of the grooves in those discs.

But, more than anything, it just effortlessly immersed me into the music. Within seconds of putting on those discs I forgot I was an audiophile with a checklist and just started enjoying music. It's only afterwards that I begin to think back on what was so amazing about the experience.... Bass, check, mids... *goosebumps* check, highs, check. Soundstage... *closes eyes.... remembers the feeling of being front and center at an AC/DC concert... with Angus's guitar on the right, Malcolm's on the left, and Brian Johnson front and center* check. Lifelike? Well, that's what it excells at more than anything. It just sounds like music. There's no other way to put it. Combined with my R10s and SDS it's just a magical combination.

So much so in fact, I think I'm going to have to take the next step and upgrade my SDS to the SDS-XLR and have my R10s recabled by Mikhail. I know of one other guy who did this and was absolutely blown away by the results. I'm also considering having my Reimyo modified. I have a friend who I know very well who had a guy do this and was blown away by the results... Man, I thought I was in audio nirvana yesterday, but there may very well indeed be another step.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 24, 2005 at 2:42 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one
The Reimyo CDP-777 is also my dream redbook player. I've only heard it once for about 30 minutes through a friend's speaker rig, but that was enough to steal my ears and heart.

It's a looker, too:
CDP777520.jpg

Looks even better in person. And it FEELS good. The engraving is so nicely done. It's a heavy beast though. It barely fit on ,u shelf. It took some effort getting it on those Aurio vibration control thingies.
biggrin.gif

Dec 26, 2005 at 12:57 AM Post #5 of 19
Nice source. The Reimyo is suppose to be the best one box player out there. I would love to hear one someday. How does it sound with your rs-1's? Is there a big difference between the Reimyo and the source it replaced with the rs-1's? What did the Reimyo replace anyway? With a SDS-XLR in there it will be pure music. In two or three weeks I will audition the Audio Research CD7, a tubed player I am wanting to hear badly. I still want to try the capitole SE too.

Dec 26, 2005 at 8:54 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by cortez
Nice source. The Reimyo is suppose to be the best one box player out there. I would love to hear one someday.

It's certainly the best I've heard. It even bests alot of the best two boxes. I even preferred it to the EMM Meitner combo; though some would disagree. I wouldn't argue it's better, just different.

Quote:

How does it sound with your rs-1's?

Amazing. The Reimyo is nearly completely neutral. It doesn't color the sound at all. It just makes music sound like real music so that pretty much leaves it up to the amp and the headphones to provide the musical color. So the RS-1s greatly bring the RAWK! You'd think the Reimyo would be a "nice" player - but I've put everything from Slayer's Decade of Aggression and Reign in Blood to Karl Bohm's recordings of Mozart's late symphonies in this baby and it handles it all with no predjudice toward any of it.

So, in short, the RS-1s sound as good as the RS-1s should sound.

Quote:

Is there a big difference between the Reimyo and the source it replaced with the rs-1's? What did the Reimyo replace anyway?

It replaced a Fully Modded Esoteric DV-50. Yes, there's a big difference. And I do believe that better headphones do better with better systems while lesser headphones tend to peak with certain systems. The RS-1s do indeed sound fantastic with the Reimyo. My R10s sound best of all. I don't think my SA5ks sound as good as they could so perhaps THEY peaked with the Esoteric.

The Reimyo is definitely better than the modded DV-50. How much so? Well, It's just much more lifelike. I wouldn't say it's better in a "checklist" sort of way, it's just more natural and involving. Which is what I wanted.

Quote:

With a SDS-XLR in there it will be pure music. In two or three weeks I will audition the Audio Research CD7, a tubed player I am wanting to hear badly. I still want to try the capitole SE too.

Yes, that's what I'm thinking. I'm also wanting to put a Hydra line conditioner in there, a pair of Virtual Dynamics Revlation XLR ICs and PCs, and then... maybe, my system would be complete. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 26, 2005 at 11:11 PM Post #7 of 19
This system has really come together for you! I've love to hear it some day. The SDS-XLR with balanced HD650's and the Sony SCD-1 sounded 'out of this world good' at one of the Florida meets earlier this year. To think of how the balanced R10's would sound with THAT amp and the REIMYO, plus the Virtual Dynamic REVALEATIONS!!! Whew!

I really was blown away by the SDS-XLR, especially when I compared a single ended pair of HD650/Zu to the balanced pair of HD650/Zu, driven out of the SAME exact amp!!! It was really hard to believe the difference that a fully balanced system makes, and the test couldn't have been better controlled.

In any case, congrats on getting it all together. Now you can just sit back and enjoy the music. Worry about the interconnects and power conditioning later.

Dec 27, 2005 at 3:32 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
This system has really come together for you! I've love to hear it some day. The SDS-XLR with balanced HD650's and the Sony SCD-1 sounded 'out of this world good' at one of the Florida meets earlier this year. To think of how the balanced R10's would sound with THAT amp and the REIMYO, plus the Virtual Dynamic REVALEATIONS!!! Whew!

I really was blown away by the SDS-XLR, especially when I compared a single ended pair of HD650/Zu to the balanced pair of HD650/Zu, driven out of the SAME exact amp!!! It was really hard to believe the difference that a fully balanced system makes, and the test couldn't have been better controlled.

In any case, congrats on getting it all together. Now you can just sit back and enjoy the music. Worry about the interconnects and power conditioning later.

Yes, I'm going to enjoy this for a while. I'm what some people call a pleasure delayer anyway. I like to get used to a setup for a while and then wait for it... wait for it... wait for it....... and THEN upgrade, and then it sounds SOOOO much better had I done it right at the beginning.
biggrin.gif
I can't wait to eventually get the SDS-XLR though. I've heard such amazing things. Recabling all my headphones will be a bitch though. I might just recable my favorites and sell the rest... I don't know. I'll wait and see.

Dec 27, 2005 at 10:27 AM Post #9 of 19
Congratulations! It's always a joy to see people enjoying their dream setups.

Did you ever experienced some occasional edgy notes with it? I'm asking this because of this thread:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=153530

It well might be a sinergy problem. And anyway, the DAC is not the same (The CDP has a 24b one, while the DAC has a 20b one). But if you have some comments about it as a Reimyo owner then that would be great.

Thanks for sharing your impressions on such a great CDP. Enjoy it in good health.

Dec 27, 2005 at 10:43 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad
Congratulations! It's always a joy to see people enjoying their dream setups.

Did you ever experienced some occasional edgy notes with it? I'm asking this because of this thread:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=153530

It well might be a sinergy problem. And anyway, the DAC is not the same (The CDP has a 24b one, while the DAC has a 20b one). But if you have some comments about it as a Reimyo owner then that would be great.

Thanks for sharing your impressions on such a great CDP. Enjoy it in good health.

No, I haven't at all. It's likely either because of his transport (or perhaps just sinergy problems). The Reimyo transport and DA, after all, was tailor made for each other. Anytime you mix and match DAs with other transports you're taking a risk that they won't match well. It's odd that the Reimyo actually has a digital output so one could, conceivable, use it as a transport alone and hook it up to an external DA... Though why anyone would pay that much for a CD player then just use it as a transport is beyond me. Though it IS an amazing transport!
biggrin.gif

I actually think the treble is fantastic. I had read some reviews where some people had stated that the Reimyo's one weakness was that some older recordings had this mid-treble unpleasentness that the Reimyo didn't gloss over. But since my amp's tubes help focus on the bass and midrange, I think that helps even out the tonal balance.

Dec 27, 2005 at 4:21 PM Post #11 of 19
Did you ever try K1000 with the Reimyo, was it too bright?

700+ kHz upsampling makes everything sound better. Especially the subconscious ambient sound which makes it feel like you are someplace else. All albums and genres become equals, I have noticed that "low quality" Psy Trance albums sound as good as reference classical albums but in a different way.
Upsampling and tubes is a great combination for vocals, it sounds like real life and you can hear emotion in the voice.

These upsampling Redbook CD players benefit A LOT from cables and power conditioning in the system. If I were you I would get Stealth Indra interconnects and Nordost Valhalla power cord for the amp, these are made for high resolution SACD systems, imagine what they would do for your Reimyo!
I'm not sure if the Reimyo would benefit much from cleaner power because it already has such a good power supply.

You also need a power conditioning setup from PS Audio. With MultiWave II+ you can demagnetize the system which makes the music sound very clean. Every power conditioning upgrade I did was a night and day difference. Enjoy the journey
tongue.gif

P.S. After you're finished the audio system should have disappeared.

Dec 27, 2005 at 4:21 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGhostWhoWalks
No, I haven't at all. It's likely either because of his transport (or perhaps just sinergy problems). The Reimyo transport and DA, after all, was tailor made for each other. Anytime you mix and match DAs with other transports you're taking a risk that they won't match well.

These are not good news for me. I'm avoiding to start buying transport/CDP/Turntables... until I settle down (if that ever happens). I'm really happy with the size & convenience of my Apogee MiniDAC (soon a DHA3000 too). The transport being a small iBook sending bitperfect lossless music via WiFi to any room at home. Besides, the music is actually stored on iPods connected to the iBook so I can always disconnect one of them and then use it as DAP paired with UE-10Pros. I connect it again when I come home. It's really convenient.

Although I like the MiniDAC a lot I was considering to upgrade the DAC in the near future, being the Reimyo one of the candidates. Now I'm starting to wonder if this is really worth it. Maybe these high-end DACs are meant to be used with a high-end transport and not with a Computer setup... I tried to do some research about it but seems like nobody is using Reimyos/Meitners/etc with Computers. Maybe it's a bit of overkill?
confused.gif

Anyway thanks a lot for your impressions. I'm always looking forward to read about these players. Cheers.

Dec 27, 2005 at 6:24 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad
These are not good news for me. I'm avoiding to start buying transport/CDP/Turntables... until I settle down (if that ever happens). I'm really happy with the size & convenience of my Apogee MiniDAC (soon a DHA3000 too). The transport being a small iBook sending bitperfect lossless music via WiFi to any room at home. Besides, the music is actually stored on iPods connected to the iBook so I can always disconnect one of them and then use it as DAP paired with UE-10Pros. I connect it again when I come home. It's really convenient.

Although I like the MiniDAC a lot I was considering to upgrade the DAC in the near future, being the Reimyo one of the candidates. Now I'm starting to wonder if this is really worth it. Maybe these high-end DACs are meant to be used with a high-end transport and not with a Computer setup... I tried to do some research about it but seems like nobody is using Reimyos/Meitners/etc with Computers. Maybe it's a bit of overkill?
confused.gif

Anyway thanks a lot for your impressions. I'm always looking forward to read about these players. Cheers.

Nobody's using Reimyo/Meitner with computers just b/c there are so few audiophiles who use computers, period, and b/c there are so few who can afford Reimyo/Meiter. It's not b/c PC can't compete with "audiophile" transports.

Insomniac will eventually discover that there are a few things he can do to tune his Reiymo. First of all, he needs to get rid of 0.5 m digital cable and go with a true 75Ohm 1.5 m digital cable, preferably made with ultra low awg conductors, preferably with DBS biasing/active shield. This will right away solve some of his "complaints." Various isolation, power, damping issues will need to be squared away as well, both for DAC and transport.

PC audio done right, preferably with battery-power USB devices, sound at least as good as any audiophile transport one can buy.

Dec 28, 2005 at 9:01 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82
Did you ever try K1000 with the Reimyo, was it too bright?

No, I don't have the K1000s. They've never been my cup of tea. Too hard to drive and I've never had the patience to dedicate a system to them... :/

Quote:

700+ kHz upsampling makes everything sound better. Especially the subconscious ambient sound which makes it feel like you are someplace else. All albums and genres become equals, I have noticed that "low quality" Psy Trance albums sound as good as reference classical albums but in a different way.
Upsampling and tubes is a great combination for vocals, it sounds like real life and you can hear emotion in the voice.

I've noticed this as well. I've been rediscovering some of my older rock albums where vocals played a more important part. Not to mention 60's and 70's soul music... Aretha Franklin especially sounds godly (as if she didn't already) on my Reimyo. And I can't begin to tell you how much I'm enjoying listening to my collection of operas (yeah, I'm an opera lover too.
biggrin.gif
).

Quote:

These upsampling Redbook CD players benefit A LOT from cables and power conditioning in the system. If I were you I would get Stealth Indra interconnects and Nordost Valhalla power cord for the amp, these are made for high resolution SACD systems, imagine what they would do for your Reimyo!
I'm not sure if the Reimyo would benefit much from cleaner power because it already has such a good power supply.

I already have some great power cables and ICs. I'm using Virtual Dynamics Masters which are easily the best cables out there for the money. IMHO they're the only cables out there that aren't a complete ripoff for what they offer. Their price to performance ratio is actually pretty close. I've heard both the Valhallas and Indras (got to audition both in my system actually) and thought both were WAY overpriced. Fantastic cables, but I'd never pay that much money for either. For the price I think Virtual Dynamic's new Revelation series is actually just as good (if not better) than both. I'll probably be upgrading to those soon. There's a used pair of balanced IC's up on audiogon for $2k that I'm considering getting. Haven't seen any PCs yet...

As far as power conditioning, I've been wanting a Hydra... They're not too expensive anyway and I figured it certainly wouldn't hurt anyway.

Quote:

You also need a power conditioning setup from PS Audio. With MultiWave II+ you can demagnetize the system which makes the music sound very clean. Every power conditioning upgrade I did was a night and day difference. Enjoy the journey
tongue.gif

P.S. After you're finished the audio system should have disappeared.

Hehe, you'd think that's true. It does disappear when I'm listening. It's only after I'm finished that I start to think back over what the experience was like. I think that's the way us audiophile tend to do.

Dec 28, 2005 at 9:04 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
Nobody's using Reimyo/Meitner with computers just b/c there are so few audiophiles who use computers, period, and b/c there are so few who can afford Reimyo/Meiter. It's not b/c PC can't compete with "audiophile" transports.

I think this pretty much nails it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back