Final (?) W2002 reporting
Feb 22, 2002 at 4:41 AM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Audio&Me said...

Yes, I need isolation, why else would I want closed cans?
tongue.gif

To confuse people?
wink.gif

Feb 22, 2002 at 6:03 AM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
Eh, I don't think it's an entirely unreasonable assumption to think that if something is made out of wood, you might be able to tell by touch.

If something has a perfectly smooth coating then no, you cannot tell by a fingertip whats underneath. Its no different than trying to know whats underneath a solid color coat of gloss paint! If you cant see whats underneath, and the surface is perfectly smooth, then your fingertips are useless.

You're right that its no big deal, but your wrong about the fingertips
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 22, 2002 at 5:00 PM Post #19 of 24
Sheez Mark, These guys could mistake a Zen garden for a gravel parking lot.

The Philistines!
tongue.gif

Seriously, I think the lacquer is an important aspect of the W2002s, something that sets them apart from other phones in a meaningful way. The very thing that some complain about--the glass-like finish--is the result of layer upon layer of meticulously applied lacquer. As Mark mentioned, the process is 1400 years old and applying it to something as modern as a cutting-edge headphone, the melding of the ancient with the new, is a treasured element of Japanese culture.

The only reservation I have about the W2002s is that they seem almost too fine for everyday use. Like maybe we should all have W100s and pull these out for ceremonial use only. Or we could begin each listening session with a ritual cleansing, the burning of incense and by listening first to Nara-Yama.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 22, 2002 at 5:14 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Spad
Sheez Mark, These guys could mistake a Zen garden for a gravel parking lot.

The Philistines!
tongue.gif

Seriously, I think the lacquer is an important aspect of the W2002s, something that sets them apart from other phones in a meaningful way. The very thing that some complain about--the glass-like finish--is the result of layer upon layer of meticulously applied lacquer. As Mark mentioned, the process is 1400 years old and applying it to something as modern as a cutting-edge headphone, the melding of the ancient with the new, is a treasured element of Japanese culture.

The only reservation I have about the W2002s is that they seem almost too fine for everyday use. Like maybe we should all have W100s and pull these out for ceremonial use only. Or we could begin each listening session with a ritual cleansing, the burning of incense and by listening first to Nara-Yama.
smily_headphones1.gif

You said it better than I did. In the sense that the finish is glass smooth and yet applied by hand, its a case of pearls before swine. They just dont get it. Oh well..
I agree with what you said about everyday use. Its pretty funny in a way; the contrast between how delicately I handle the finish and how violently they play my music. Amusing.

Feb 22, 2002 at 8:04 PM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
Well, if the W2002 floats, it must be made of wood.

So, whose gonna toss their pair into the bathtub?

markl

actually, if the W2002 floats, it can also be a witch or a duck.

Feb 22, 2002 at 8:37 PM Post #22 of 24
Strange women in ponds distributing headphones is no basis for a system of government. Supreme headphone power is derived by a mandate from the masses....not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Yes I am totally mad and it may be time to close this thread
tongue.gif

Feb 24, 2002 at 5:25 AM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by MooGoesTheCow
actually, if the W2002 floats, it can also be a witch or a duck.

Either way, the proper response after that is a good stake burning. Which wood, witches and ducks do really well.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back