Final (?) W2002 reporting
Feb 21, 2002 at 11:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

dhwilkin

Headphone audiophiles are practically the stuff of legend.
Well, after an epic struggle to get my W2002 shipment from the UPS man involving leaving the import check at the office, I got my W2002. I'll give a brief description now, then let these guys cook for a few days.

Looks: Gorgeous! This is what a $700 headphone should look like. The wood and lacquer combine to give an elegant appearance, w/o being gaudy. Even the gold-plated plug looks impressive. The outside of the case make it look industrial-strength and important. Kinda like the attache briefcases couriers handcuff to themself, since what's inside is so valuable. The inside of the case, as has been mentioned before, is so not right, and yet so right. Very sexy.

Comfort: Automatically more comfortable to me than the 580s, simply because there's no heavy Clou cable weighing one side down. It's not as light as I'd hoped, but the weight is more evenly distributed between top and sides than the 580s, which was mostly on the sides.

Efficiency: Obviously, these get much louder at the same volume than my 580s. Haven't tried them ampless, yet.

Isolation: Not much external sound isolation, as I can hear myself typing on the keyboard right now.

Sound: The only thing I've played so far is the soundtrack to American McGee's Alice, simply because it's what I was using for study music last night, and I just got back home. Right off the bat, the highs are much more apparent, compared to my 580s. Bright? Yeah, somewhat... also a bit ragged at times. Seems to be a bit of sibilance that needs to go away. Transparency seems to be improved, as I could distinctly hear a voice echoing that I never noticed on my 580s. Not sure about the bass, since this isn't a really bassy soundtrack, but it probably needs some work. That's it for initial impressions. I'm going to let this guy burn-in on the Max at high volumes for a few days, before going back and doing any serious evaluating.

All in all, not bad for first impressions. I'm glad... from most everybody else, I thought I would have a "multiple fainting" post after wondering how $700 headphones could sound so bad. But, I didn't, probably to some folks' disappointment.
tongue.gif

If these things really improve as much as everybody says, I'm going to be pretty darn happy w/ this purchase. As for now, I'm going to the gym to catch up on my workouts.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 22, 2002 at 12:37 AM Post #2 of 24
That sounds about right. Your comment 'this is what a $700 should look like' rang true. I dont teach a Japanese Lacquer Class over on' at the community college, but I know enough to know that the lacquer finish on the W2002 is traditionally applied and 'deep' in a way that a glossy sprayed on finish is not. Its meant to look the part, and I think it really does!

p.s. I just put the W2002 back on after most of the day with the Stax, and whoa.. the W2002 makes lots more bass in comparison. My brain was vibrating like the water in the cup on the Jeep dashboard, in Jurassic Park, as the dinosaur approached.

Feb 22, 2002 at 1:51 AM Post #3 of 24
They made it flashy to jack up the price, after all, it's a millenium edition. They should remake those headphones and make lots more of them at a lower cost so that curious ppl in need of good closed headphones can get a hold of them.

Feb 22, 2002 at 2:40 AM Post #4 of 24
You could always try the W100, Audio&Me.
evil_smiley.gif
And are you looking for a closed headphone that isolate you from outside sound or not? Because the W2002 don't isolate much better than the 580s...

Oh yes, serial number is 0369, M Rael. About the lacquer... I think it was markl who said that it didn't feel like wood. And I have to agree. If I was blind and could only feel the headphones, my first few guesses of what it was made from would not be wood. Actually, they did the lacquer too well. Now I have the urge to wash my hands before I handle them, so I won't get any skin oil on them. Do you usually store the W2002 in the case, or just leave them out? And if the lacquer ever gets dirty, is there anything special you should clean it w/, or will plain old water do?

Feb 22, 2002 at 3:10 AM Post #5 of 24
Added your number. About the finish, if you touched a smooth glossy surface with your eyes closed, yes, it would be hard to tell what the base substance was. But since thats true for everything from the ceramic your toilet is made out of, to metals of all kinds, to other wood objects.. you name it.. I dont see the significance of the distinction. Brand new violins will have a smooth and glossy finish. Guitars certainly do too. Pianos.. I mean the list is endless. And dont tell me you could touch a small sample of finished piano wood and exclaim, 'oh yes! thats piano!' ..not gonna happen.
I'm not arguing that the finish does feel like wood underneath the lacquer. I cant tell its wood with my eyes closed either! But, since it obviously is wood, I still dont understand this special distinction being made.

For cleaning and that, I use an eyeglass cloth. I always keep them in the case overnight, but leave them on a rug during the day if I'm using them on and off. And the lacquer isnt the strongest of finishes, so be careful with them. Dont use water, or if you really have to, then use a dampened cloth. No chemicals. Also, they recommend you dont use shampoo on your hair for a couple of months, apparently it might damage the earpad material. Joke.

beauty1.jpg

Feb 22, 2002 at 3:11 AM Post #6 of 24
"I think it was markl who said that it didn't feel like wood. And I have to agree. If I was blind and could only feel the headphones, my first few guesses of what it was made from would not be wood."

biggrin.gif

markl
Mr. "told ya so"

Feb 22, 2002 at 3:25 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
If I was blind and could only feel the headphones..

And if you were deaf you wouldnt know if they were really playing or not. And if you were dumb, you might not be able to tell they were wood even with your eyes open. I'm still looking for the news in this story. 'As smooth as glass' does not mean 'made of glass'.

Feb 22, 2002 at 3:40 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
So are you trying to say that they are made of glass?

KR..., only if you're dumb...or blind...or.........
eek.gif

This dude is sure sensitive about headphones. I think maybe he needs a life adjustment!

Feb 22, 2002 at 3:41 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
So are you trying to say that they are made of glass?

yes. everything thats smooth in the world is made out of glass.. didnt you know that???

Feb 22, 2002 at 3:42 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by RickG

This dude is sure sensitive about headphones.

If I'm sensitive, its about language. fool!

Feb 22, 2002 at 4:07 AM Post #12 of 24
Well, if the W2002 floats, it must be made of wood.

So, whose gonna toss their pair into the bathtub?

markl

Feb 22, 2002 at 4:39 AM Post #15 of 24
For that to be a valid test, the whole thing would have to be made of wood. Feel free to still try it, though, markl. Whomever buys your W2002 deserves a clean pair.
tongue.gif

Eh, I don't think it's an entirely unreasonable assumption to think that if something is made out of wood, you might be able to tell by touch. I can tell that my computer desk is made from wood just by touch. Of course, I also can't tell that my Salamander rack is made from wood just by touch. Either way, it's not a big deal, just another thing to note when you're trying to describe it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back