Mar 9, 2016 at 10:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 162

XERO1

Headphoneus Supremus
main.jpg

spec_SOIII_EN.jpg

SOIII_II_structure_EN.jpg

http://final-audio-design.com/en/archives/2712

http://6moons.com/audioreviews2/final2/1.html

The Final SONOROUS III just received the Blue Moon Award from Srajan Ebaen at 6moons.com and based on his review, it looks like they could be a potential giant-killer for their $399 MSRP.  They should be available by the end of March.

Has anyone had a chance to hear these?

Apr 1, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #5 of 162
just put my hands on them.
Out of the box & out of my Mojo they remind me my ex TH-X00: strong but not overpowered bass with good quality. good vocals, high mids slightly off & cool treble. Good soundstage. Good texture. Good comfort. I expected a bit more clarity though.

I'll let them burn in & report back later

Apr 4, 2016 at 6:43 AM Post #6 of 162
The more I listen to them the more I like them. They seem to open a bit with burn-in.
I feel they sound very natural with no hint of harshness, very different than my previous IV (I did not wait for burn-in, sold them before...).
Instruments separation is very good, it is pretty easy to follow what we want to hear. Soundstage is very well done and very good for a closed headphones ( both wide & deep enough)
I would really like to compare them with TH-X00, again my memory tells me they share a lot similarities but Sonorous III isolate more and are more comfortable for me (I had an issue with original Fostex pads)

Apr 4, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #7 of 162
  The more I listen to them the more I like them. They seem to open a bit with burn-in.
I feel they sound very natural with no hint of harshness, very different than my previous IV (I did not wait for burn-in, sold them before...).
Instruments separation is very good, it is pretty easy to follow what we want to hear. Soundstage is very well done and very good for a closed headphones ( both wide & deep enough)
I would really like to compare them with TH-X00, again my memory tells me they share a lot similarities but Sonorous III isolate more and are more comfortable for me (I had an issue with original Fostex pads)

How is the bass? I like listening to EDM mostly.

Apr 4, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #9 of 162
Anyone else have any impressions of these?

Looking for a new 'semi-portable' HP, current front runner is Oppo PM-3 but these may now be on the radar.

edit: potentially they may be a bit chunky to be as versatile as I would like

Apr 8, 2016 at 5:00 AM Post #10 of 162
still enjoying these a lot but they don't work well with rock/metal. To me they lack attack, dynamic & sparkle for this specific type of music.
Just bought a sonorous VI to compare them side by side.
My guess is that VI will be brighter and more "hi-fi" oriented while III aim to be very natural, if not slightly dark

Apr 14, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #12 of 162
I auditioned a pair this morning. Brand new out of  the box and I still thought they were great.

I took my Bottlehead Crack + Speedball as amp, and thought before-hand that they might not be a good match. 

EDIT 02/05/2016: I now realize that the Sonorous III (16 ohm) aren't a great match with the Bottlehead Crack, which is suited to high impedence cans. I took only acoustic music with me when I auditioned the III, and thought at the time they were pretty good with the Crack. But after burning in at home (and the III's IMO needed 20 or so hours) and playing some rock music, I wasn't impressed with the match up.

But the III's are wonderful with my newly acquired Bakoon HDA 5210 MK 3 amp.

Apr 15, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #13 of 162
  I auditioned a pair this morning. Brand new out of  the box and I still thought they were great.

I took my Bottlehead Crack + Speedball as amp, and thought before-hand that they might not be a good match. 

Very pleasantly surprised. 

Do you think it would be good with EDM and contemporary music?

Apr 15, 2016 at 5:28 AM Post #15 of 162
  I would say yes. The only genre I don't like them so much is Metal/rock as they are a bit polite & missing a bit of foot taping.
For the rest, all good. If you like to listen loud they are very good too as no fatigue & no distortion

Hmm.. Some EDM tunes require energy as well. Is there upper mid dip (I'd prefer that) or treble slope? I wish we had some FR of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back