Final parts list critique for META42
Dec 14, 2002 at 12:50 PM Post #47 of 57
Kal525,

For the amount of time Tangent has spent typing on this thread, he could have built you one already. He has already dropped several large hints about some basic books, trying out a smaller project, jumping in and trying it out and so forth, all of which I suspect most of the people who have built amps and got the idea from this forum have done. He has already answered 95% of the questions asked here in his tutorial on building the CMoy amp, which can be built with Rat Shack parts without having to resort to an expensive, nerve-racking mail order parts list. They don't let you drive the Ferrari first, they start you out in something better suited to your skills and you work your way up.

Do you have a gut feeling about the switch rating? If so, let's hear it...Maybe you should get a simple toggle switch also...

--Jason

Dec 14, 2002 at 4:31 PM Post #48 of 57
my guess is i need DC, but none of the E-switch rocker switches i saw in the catalog had a DC rating, only the toggle ones did. And if a yes or no answer is to difficult for you than i'll just order both, i don't need to be lectured by you 15 posts later. I can understand Tangent complaining since he's been answering almost all of my questions, very thoroughly at that, but you jumping on the bandwagon proves nothing and accomlishes even less. This is an open forum after all, i don't think i should have to filter my questions for your benefit jasong. As i have said before, if you don't like it, don't comment. Perhaps one of the other 4,046 members on this forum could have an opinion that is slightly more constructive than yours, but still, i appreciate your utterly useless input.

Dec 15, 2002 at 12:16 AM Post #50 of 57
There was a least a nugget of constructive criticism in my last post. I have reread this thread and don't get even the slightest hint that you have read the Cmoy tutorial. The type of questions you are asking leads one to expect that you are going to be asking for help, during construction, with concepts and techniques basic to amp construction. Concepts and techniques that are spelled out as close to step by step in Tangent's Cmoy article as possible. I know you want to build a mistake free Meta42 first time out. My opinion is that the best way to help insure that that might happen is to build the Cmoy first.

Yes, this is an open forum, and we are both free to ignore questions we don't want to answer, or advice we don't want to take. That leaves room for both good and bad questions and good and bad advice. I don't think that it's an unreasonable expectation of mine for work on your part beyond scouring parts lists and distributor web sites even if Tangent beats me to the punch with an accurate and well written answer. I am also a representative of the Meta42, in some small way, and also feel the need to NOT ignore questions from you. Tangent does not need my help to protect his time. But since his time can not only be used to answer questions but also to pack and ship my order (and yours), and also to improve his product, I have an opinion on your use of that time. I don't mind if you disagree.

I also would suggest that you not get a switch that requires a rectangular hole. Get a switch that you can install by drilling a hole in your panel. Like a toggle with a threaded shaft.

--Jasong

Dec 15, 2002 at 3:31 AM Post #51 of 57
I appreciate your "nugget of constructive criticism," unfortunately i didn't see anything constructive about it, all it did was piss me off and lengthen this thread even farther with useless "constructive criticism". To say that I should do more work on my part instead of "scouring parts list and distributor web sites" shows some ignorance on your part. Granted i did not think to read the CMOY article......mainly because i am not building a CMOY, but now after looking at it i see that it does contain some very usefull advice concerning basic tips for constructing an amp, still doesn't answer my question about the power switch though. You don't know how i've been researching this, or how much time i've spent reading through tangent's documents, so please do not comment on something you know nothing about. If it appeared to you that i did not read the CMOY documents, you could have suggested that i read those instead of proceeding to lecture me on the use of tangent's time. Granted tangent has been a huge help with my questions, but he has not been the ONLY help, so there is no need to act like a bodygaurd for his time. I think he can choose how to spend it, and i highly doubt posting questions on this forum detracts from your experience as a human being. So instead of wasting time with another useless post like the one that i am writing, how about we keep the posts genuinely constructive and stop this ********. I didn't come here to be lectured on my use of everyones time and to be "constructively criticized" left and right. This is almost worse than a PC forum, no i take that back, it's a lot worse. To be criticised for every question you ask is pretty rediculous, and don't worry, i'll try my hardest not to bother you with questions during its construction, in fear of wasting any more of anyones time by asking questions that i am sure others have gained benefit from, but were too scared to ask because of the influx of "constructive criticism." I don't mind if you have an opinion, but i do mind if your opinion is based on something which you know nothing about, such as the time i have put into this. If you are going to take the time to hit the reply button, please save the bitching for situations where it really matters. This is just a forum, not a life or death type of thing. If you see me heading in the wrong direction and you actually take the time to reply, try making it a worthwhile reply instead of a longwinded rhetort claiming to know exactly how much time i have put into this project and scolding me for wasting Tangent's time and arguing that it could be better used for packaging parts and working more on the META (I'm sure he has a life outside of this forum). Thanks, that is my opinion.

Now that that uselessness is out of the way, i'm just gonna call it a day and get the toggle switch that tangent suggested since i still do not have an answer to my question, i never thought it would be so difficult to have such a simple question answered, all i was looking for was "yes" or "no".

Dec 16, 2002 at 1:39 AM Post #52 of 57
Quote:

i didn't see anything constructive about it,

I did, but it sounds like you're too busy getting offended and acting wounded to pay attention to the constructive bits.

Quote:

please do not comment on something you know nothing about.

Ah....the guy who has not yet built an amp is saying that jasong -- who has built several amps now -- knows nothing about parts research. What an interesting point of view....

An observation: this has been the single most painful thread about asking parts advice I have yet participated in. Yet, there are hundreds of finished META42s out in the world now, and yet only a few painful "tell me how to build this" threads exist. I don't suppose you have any guesses as to the source of this discrepancy?

Quote:

I didn't come here to be lectured on my use of everyones time and to be "constructively criticized" left and right.

You asked for advice. Advice is critical by its very nature. If you didn't really want advice, you should have said what it was you really wanted.

Quote:

all i was looking for was "yes" or "no".

The problem isn't that one question. It's that it was preceded by 50 other requests for "yes or no" answers.

Dec 16, 2002 at 7:07 AM Post #53 of 57
you should have read my entire post, what i said was that he knew nothing about how much time i had put into this, so he should not have commented on that. I said nothing about his knowledge on the META.

And forgive me, but i hardly find telling me that i'm wasting your time by asking questions to which i could not find the answer to constructive criticism.

People come to forums to ask questions, not to sit idley and pray they don't get attacked for asking them.

And trust me, wounded is hardly the description, it's more like dissapointment that my questions were met with such strong opposition.

I didn't ask for advice on how i am using your time or my time. I asked for advice on the PROJECT. I don't care what your opinions are about how i am using my time. So if you have them, and feel the need to share them, you can expect me to disagree. Now if anyone feels the need to lengthen this thread even more with so much of this great criticism i've been getting at this forum, feel free, i've gotten used to it by now.

Point Tangent, shall we continue? or has enough time been wasted yet?

what a fun game
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 17, 2002 at 1:22 PM Post #55 of 57
This thread is insanity. Seriously man, start with a cheapo cmoy or something. If tangent charged the going rate for his time, you could have bought an mg head for the money it would have cost you.

Mar 17, 2003 at 9:00 AM Post #56 of 57
wow, i realise that reading this thread was as exciting as building an amp.

But anyway, Kal525, its been a while, maybe you could return and post on the updates of your amp? Manybe a few pics would be nice.

Mar 17, 2003 at 10:11 AM Post #57 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by danlaix
wow, i realise that reading this thread was as exciting as building an amp.

But anyway, Kal525, its been a while, maybe you could return and post on the updates of your amp? Manybe a few pics would be nice.

He hasn't posted on head-fi in maybe 5 weeks, but here is the thread on his finished meta:
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...0&pagenumber=1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back