FINAL IMPRESSIONS: HORNET AFTER 500 HOURS
Feb 15, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #46 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HUH??? Clarify please. Someone somewhere told me to turn the Ipod volume all the way up, loud as it can go, and adjust the volume on the amp. Now, you are recommending the Ipod volume at about 70%??? OK will try tht too, altho I don't seem tothink I'm getting any distortion with it all the way up.

Mine's red. Love it. Blends well with my Ipod's Vaja case and the twisted copper wire of the ALO Jenacryo dock

GET A LINE OUT DOCK AND SKIP THE VOLUME CONTROL f you can!

Think of it the amp in the IPOD is the weak link. When you turn the volume all the way up you are introducing "more disitortion" in the signal since none of the signal is distortion free even though you may not hear it with your IEMS or cans it's there. Now when you amplify the less than perfect signal the distortion is also amplified. The louder you push the IPOD amp the more distortion in the signal. SO turning your volume to as close to the line out volume tend to give the best results IMO. usually about 70% but this also depends on how you encloded the files, if your using soundcheck, mp3 vs acc Rockbox etc.

If you get a line out dock you are going to be impressed because the signal is much cleaner offers more detailed lowend and less distortion.

ALL IMO of course others Im sure will chime in with their 2 cents thats why the forums are so great. But try it and let me know. Should sound a bit better and 12:00 ON LOW GAIN WITH iems AND 12:00 ON hIGH GAIN WITH HIGH IMPEDENCE CANS SHOULD SOUND PRETTY LOUD.

in Fact you can almost adjust the volume on the IPOD in reverse. Put your hornet between 10-12:00 and adjust IPOD volume to a good listening level that you enjoy that should dial you in pretty close!

Make sure to set proper gain depending on your headphones?

LOW for IEMS
MED for Cans with Impedence 100-250ish
High for 300+

this is just a ruff guide I sometime listen to my UE-10's that have a impedence of 16 on Med gain if the song is at a very low level.

Gotta play with it. But Volume up to 100% is a NO NO IMO!

Feb 15, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #47 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by KrooLism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mmm... I know what it was.

I only had the iAudio output set at half volume ...

Hey KrooLism ...

So what were you using? The ALO Silverdock like in your sig? Or something through the Headphone out? Because of the documented bass roll-off of the iAudio X5 via the line out, I'm curious. I thought that you couldn't control the volume of the line out. Obviously you can via the HP out. From what I've read, it seems that some people prefer to amp via the HP out on the X5, and they turn off all the sound enhancements and set the volume to 40 (max).

I have an iAudio X5 (about a month old) and some V-Moda Vibes. I also have some Grados. I'm VERY interested in amping with the RSA Hornet. I'm curious about EXACTLY what hardware you're using (specifically cables), what you've got the X5 set at (EQ settings and BBE and all that) and what your impressions are as time goes on with the Hornet.

One last question. Is your X5 Rockboxed?

Feb 15, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #48 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since the E5c has an impedence of 110 ohms (unusual for IEMs), what gain setting do you use on your hornet?

The so called sweet spot on the amp is between 12:00 and 2:00 (but tough to get there with IEMS) LOUD!!!

so if you adjust gain and find you are below this than raise the gai2n
if you have to go past 3:00 lower the gain. should be able to dial in pretty good using this method!

If you are on low gain and still below say 9:00 then you have good sensitive ears and the 2DB gain is as low as the hornet goes. Its not an issue really when I say sweet spot Im beiing waaay!!! Over critical

You could then try a Tommohawk that has a 0 DB gain on low! Which will give you a broder volume range control!

Feb 15, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #49 of 159
Look at me Im acting like a Hornet Expert!!!!!

Ray feel free to chime in if im off base here!!!!!!

IT's Like putting up the BAT signal but instead it's the RSA signal for HELP!!!!!

Feb 15, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #51 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by JES /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OP (KrooLism)...

How about a pic showing your set-up???

Yes or the FED-EX TRUCK!!!!! LOL!
blink.gif

Here is My UE-10 delivery!!
fedexwn9.jpg

OK I am nuts!

Feb 15, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #53 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The so called sweet spot on the amp is between 12:00 and 2:00 (but tough to get there with IEMS) LOUD!!!

so if you adjust gain and find you are below this than raise the gai2n
if you have to go past 3:00 lower the gain. should be able to dial in pretty good using this method!

If you are on low gain and still below say 9:00 then you have good sensitive ears and the 2DB gain is as low as the hornet goes. Its not an issue really when I say sweet spot Im beiing waaay!!! Over critical

You could then try a Tommohawk that has a 0 DB gain on low! Which will give you a broder volume range control!

Cheers, thanks for the input.

Feb 15, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #54 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cheers, thanks for the input.

No problem! I am surprized Ray hasn't posted here yet.

Most of the info I'm giving is just regurgitated from the man himeself!

I try to pick his brain whenever possible he is very knowlegeable!

Especially with his own products of course!!!
cool.gif

Feb 15, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #55 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by JES /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey KrooLism ...

So what were you using? The ALO Silverdock like in your sig? Or something through the Headphone out? Because of the documented bass roll-off of the iAudio X5 via the line out, I'm curious. I thought that you couldn't control the volume of the line out. Obviously you can via the HP out. From what I've read, it seems that some people prefer to amp via the HP out on the X5, and they turn off all the sound enhancements and set the volume to 40 (max).

I have an iAudio X5 (about a month old) and some V-Moda Vibes. I also have some Grados. I'm VERY interested in amping with the RSA Hornet. I'm curious about EXACTLY what hardware you're using (specifically cables), what you've got the X5 set at (EQ settings and BBE and all that) and what your impressions are as time goes on with the Hornet.

One last question. Is your X5 Rockboxed?

OK, EXACTLY what I was using for the test was:

iAudio X5 set at 22 volume -> 1/8" - 1/8" coil cable that came with Sonic Impact T-Amp -> Hornet M (High Gain at 1200) -> ER4S

Thought I thought I mentioned somewhere that I didn't use the dock for this test. Maybe I'm tripping.

Keep in mind with that setup that I was playing with a new toy and the volume was much higher than what I would normally listen at.

Quote:

Look at me Im acting like a Hornet Expert!!!!!

Ray feel free to chime in if im off base here!!!!!!

It's Like putting up the BAT signal but instead it's the RSA signal for HELP!!!!!

Hehe.

For those who are in doubt. I second Trose.
If you get the Hornet - You will NOT regret it.

It's probably the best purchase I have done in a long while.

lol - Ray, you need to give me a discount on the Tomahawk for all this publicity.
eggosmile.gif
I've already been PM'ed twice from people in Aust wanting to know details about payment and shipping.

Feb 15, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #56 of 159
Quote:

For those who are in doubt. I second Trose.
If you get the Hornet - You will NOT regret it.

It's probably the best purchase I have done in a long while.

lol - Ray, you need to give me a discount on the Tomahawk for all this publicity.
eggosmile.gif
I've already been PM'ed twice from people in Aust wanting to know details about payment and shipping.

WAIT WAIT WAIT I dont even get a discount and have you seen how many Hornet thread I have started/responded/defended/tested.............

Its a great product! no wonder it has won product of the year from Stereophile Magazine. People just dont know what they are missing and it's nearly impossible to get them to believe you!

I will be buried with My Rig and about 20 Car batteries connected to my IPOD.

Just in case I wake up I can at least enjoy some tunes till I run of of O2!!! LOL!

Feb 15, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #57 of 159
Quote:

WAIT WAIT WAIT I dont even get a discount and have you seen how many Hornet thread I have started/responded/defended/tested.............

Its a great product! no wonder it has won product of the year from Stereophile Magazine. People just dont know what they are missing and it's nearly impossible to get them to believe you!

I will be buried with My Rig and about 20 Car batteries connected to my IPOD.

Just in case I wake up I can at least enjoy some tunes till I run of of O2!!! LOL!

Hahaha, and I thought I was out of control!
tongue.gif

Feb 15, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #58 of 159
Quote:

OK, EXACTLY what I was using for the test was:

iAudio X5 set at 22 volume -> 1/8" - 1/8" coil cable that came with Sonic Impact T-Amp -> Hornet M (High Gain at 1200) -> ER4S

Thought I thought I mentioned somewhere that I didn't use the dock for this test. Maybe I'm tripping.

Keep in mind with that setup that I was playing with a new toy and the volume was much higher than what I would normally listen at.

Thank you
cool.gif

Feb 15, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #59 of 159
using the ipod dock instead of the headphone out is CRUCIAL. more than one person has come up to me at meets and said "am i crazy or is the line out thing the biggest difference for my ipod's portable rig chain?

no you aren't crazy. it's true. it's the biggest best difference. run away from the headphone out, run away!

Feb 15, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #60 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
using the ipod dock instead of the headphone out is CRUCIAL. more than one person has come up to me at meets and said "am i crazy or is the line out thing the biggest difference for my ipod's portable rig chain?

no you aren't crazy. it's true. it's the biggest best difference. run away from the headphone out, run away!

Some people have said to do the opposite for the iAudio.

But I have had no problems with my ALO Silver dock. No bass roll off for me. I use cable sometimes because it's less bulky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back