Filtered IEC & STEPS
Jul 25, 2006 at 8:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

divie23

Head-Fier
I have just completed my PPAv2 and STEPS boards and am getting around to the casing.

I have an expensive filtered IEC inlet socket lying around and was planning on using this to feed the STEPS. Is this overkill or just plain unwise since I understand the STEPS features filters also?

If it makes no difference either way I may as well get my moneys worth out of the IEC socket.

On an aside, the filtered IEC has a metal chassis (attached to AC ground) and will be used in a metal case also. I'm worried about the detrimental effects this will have on sound quality since input ground should also be attached to the metal case?

Jul 25, 2006 at 9:00 PM Post #2 of 5
Forgot to add. I'd appreciate any comments anyone can offer.
cool.gif

Jul 25, 2006 at 9:10 PM Post #3 of 5
Having both AC ground and input signal ground connected will cause a ground loop; you want to avoid this. Either isolate the IEC, or isolate the input/output jacks and pot(s) and tie input ground to earth via a ground loop breaker.

Jul 25, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #4 of 5
The STEPS filter is similar to what's inside your IEC socket. Use a simple one and keep your filtering socket for a future project.

If your case is in metal, you MUST connect AC ground to the case for your safety. Isolate the pot, RCA and output jack. Connect the signal ground and the AC ground at one point, if necessary through a ground loop breaker.

Jul 25, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #5 of 5
I have a maxed out steps power supply, with a dual stage schafner EMI/RFI filter. In the filter's inputs I soldered Varistors to prevent spikes. I never heard an amp with steps without this filter so I can't say it increases or decreases performance. The setup I have before the steps, was inspired in the www.triode-systems.com easy build mains filter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back