Films - Alternative to VLC?
Feb 24, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #31 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Always nice when a story has a happy ending and the thread doesn't end in a dust up!

Well, this is all but not a happy ending. He wanted a video player with good audio support the best available, since video playing is just the same for all.
Lets say the Foobar of video players, well it seems it doesnt exist, or we dont have the answer.
I had same quest some time ago, then I decided for one for all video codecs and audio, because in the end, when watching movie you dont get concentrate that much on audio.
Still the only video player with ASIO out is winamp, but try to watch a movie in winamp!!!
frown.gif

Feb 24, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #32 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure, but I haven't run into problems while trying to play any of my 8-10GB movie files. But then I use the XBMC only on my computer. I don't have an Xbox.

Anyhow, it's just a slight alternative. I usually run Media Classic Player or VLC.

Ahhh, now I understand. Yeah the Little Xbox with XBMC hacked onto it chokes trying to do HD. Dos DVD quality like a demon though!!

Feb 24, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #33 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, this is all but not a happy ending. He wanted a video player with good audio support the best available, since video playing is just the same for all.
Lets say the Foobar of video players, well it seems it doesnt exist, or we dont have the answer.
I had same quest some time ago, then I decided for one for all video codecs and audio, because in the end, when watching movie you dont get concentrate that much on audio.
Still the only video player with ASIO out is winamp, but try to watch a movie in winamp!!!
frown.gif

Ahhh see, we were all happy singin' Kumbaya around the Campfire and then you showed up!!

Feb 24, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #34 of 42
VLC is junk if you want softsubs on anything (for the hearing impaired maybe?) or those who watch a lot of foreign films or subtitled anime. VLC does horrible things to subtitles.

MPC is what I use and I've never once had a problem with it.

Feb 24, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #35 of 42
Hi. I recommend the player that comes with standard divx codec download. It gives noticeably better image quality than MPC home cinema, while supressing the screen horizontal tearing.

Feb 24, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #36 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by mugiwara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi. I recommend the player that comes with standard divx codec download. It gives noticeably better image quality than MPC home cinema, while supressing the screen horizontal tearing.

Which player are you referring to here.

Feb 25, 2009 at 1:22 PM Post #38 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif

The Foobar of video players. Yes that is exactly what I am after.
The programs I tried didn't offer more than VLC already does and Winamp.. Meh.. The sound quality of Winamp was actually worse than VLC though I didn't set up ASIO.

Feb 25, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #40 of 42
If you are running vista, doesn't MPC have WASAPI support? i could of sworn i saw it. I'm out of town for a while so i can't check it.

Anyway, I"ve tried all the players and i find that MPC set to VMR-9 (renderless) and ffdshow is the best by far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back