Films - Alternative to VLC?
Feb 21, 2009 at 1:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

apatN

Headphoneus Supremus
Though not often I do enjoy to watch films on my computer. I always have been using VLC though the sound quality can be better I think. For example stereo separation can be better.
Also I noticed my Dacmagic says the incoming signal is 44.1khz instead of 48khz that all DVDs use. This tells me it isn't set up properly.
So what I am looking for:
  1. Capable of playing HD content
  1. Good sound and video quality

The setup I now use is in my sig. An X-FI Xtrememusic is transport.
Hope you can help me. Happy listening.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 21, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #2 of 42
For me its only QuickTime Player with Perian.
Works like a treat, accepting almost anything I throw at it.

Feb 21, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #3 of 42
I do not have any HD movies, nor did I see specific mention of it on their website, I'd suggest having a look at GOM Player.
I have been using it for some time now and have had no need to look elsewhere for a video player. Besides, you can't beat the price - FREE!
tongue.gif

Feb 21, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #4 of 42
I personally use Media Player Classic for pretty much all my video watching needs. It's open source as well, although I think Gabest hasn't updated it in a while. This has produced 2 forks with one side doing patches and one side "continuing" development. I use the original version because I haven't run into any problems whatsoever.

Feb 21, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #5 of 42
Thanks for all the recommendations so far. Anymore wish to chime in? I need a program that lets me set up audio the way I want and that works with HD. Video quality is important as well.

EDIT: It is not that I am in need for another program. I just want better audio as because now it isn't even ouputting 48khz but 44.1. If VLC can do that, even better.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 21, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #6 of 42
For HD use, I use MPC Home Cinema. Works a treat, and is a lot lighter playing files than VLC.

Feb 21, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #7 of 42
Another vote for MPC, i use it all the time, from DVD to HD content, it just works. I have VLC but found it was choppy with HD content.

Feb 21, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #8 of 42
MPC here

Feb 21, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #11 of 42
I 've always used Vlc, but lately I've changed to KMPlayer, it does supports tons of formats just like vlc, but I can use spidf out, while in vlc was buggy.

However, the only video player with asio support, that I know is Winamp.
You just have to install a packet of codecs, or a burning software like Roxio full, and Winamp can play nearly every video format, and it will use asio out for audio you can check the sample rate, in Audio Creation Mode while JRiver Media center can use Asio out for audio files, but it uses direct sound or other when it comes to video..
You should have some good pc for playing video in winamp with asio audio output..

Feb 22, 2009 at 11:33 AM Post #13 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I 've always used Vlc, but lately I've changed to KMPlayer, it does supports tons of formats just like vlc, but I can use spidf out, while in vlc was buggy.

However, the only video player with asio support, that I know is Winamp.
You just have to install a packet of codecs, or a burning software like Roxio full, and Winamp can play nearly every video format, and it will use asio out for audio you can check the sample rate, in Audio Creation Mode while JRiver Media center can use Asio out for audio files, but it uses direct sound or other when it comes to video..
You should have some good pc for playing video in winamp with asio audio output..

Thank you. That is basically what I am after. How does winamp do HD?

Feb 22, 2009 at 12:25 PM Post #14 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you. That is basically what I am after. How does winamp do HD?

I've never tried with HD, you have to check by yourself, however I dont think it can manage that, I still recommend you the KMplayer with spidf out to external decoder or xFi built in decoder, just be sure to check "spidf out" in vista playback devices, when playing dts or dolby, and change to "speaker out" when playing divx stereo files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back