Fill in the blank, if you like Evanescence you would like...
Feb 17, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #16 of 39
Nightwish definitely.

Feb 17, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #17 of 39
Thanks for the replys. I have some work to do now! ithin Temptation, The Gathering, Lacuna Coil and Nightwish are all bands I will look into

Specifically to Blip: Strangely enough, I listen to or am lookingat alot of those bands. I recently got into Stereolab, I'm looking at Porcupine Tree and I listen to Curve (who somone once said is what Garbage wished they sounded like, not that I advocate such a strong opinion
wink.gif
)

I'm listening to Stream of Passion right now (from thier website) and its sounds great. I think this is the closest to what I was looking for.

And to Coltran: I should have been a bit more clear. I do have a problem with modern mainstream music. The rebelling coment was a bit of a joke. I don't listen to it becasue I feel that the music of my generation is, for the most part, any combination of the following words, contrived, manufacted, constipated, dull, repetitive, lazy, or generally not strong or diverse enough to carry for more than one album. I find that with little known bands, what you are hearing is their talent, not the talent of a mixer or recording engineer, IMO.

Again thanks to everyone responded, if anyone has any other suggestion I would love to hear them. Part of the fudn in music is finding new bands that you love!

-Slep

Feb 17, 2006 at 9:00 PM Post #19 of 39
Well, it does have to be said that unless you think Evanesence is contrived, manufacted, constipated, dull, repetitive, lazy, or generally not strong or diverse, there is no reason why you should not listen to them. The one song I've heard by them is quite good (although not quite to the point that I've gotten more.)

Feb 17, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #20 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by iSleipnir
I'm listening to Stream of Passion right now (from thier website) and its sounds great. I think this is the closest to what I was looking for.

Be sure to check out Aghora's self-titled album, as well.. it was mentioned earlier, I think.

You should devour it.

Feb 17, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #21 of 39
K2Grey: While I like their sound, their songs all sound alike. I was looking for more variety. I guess that my only complain.

I have checked out Aghora a bit. I like what I'm hearing...
580smile.gif

Feb 17, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #22 of 39
yeah i've had Aghora's album for ages, I remember showing it to a friend who liked Evanescence and he loved it. 'Immortal bliss' is my favourite track.

Feb 17, 2006 at 11:28 PM Post #23 of 39
Quote:

K2Grey: While I like their sound, their songs all sound alike. I was looking for more variety. I guess that my only complain.

That's pretty much my only complaint about them as well. Actually its my more general complaint about the nu/alternative metal bands in general. Linkin Park has enough decent material (across two albums and a remix album) for one really good album. But in reality they only have three or four songs that are basically repeated at slightly different tempos with different lyrics. Evanescence probably has two (gothy piano ballad and metal/electronic torch song). Really the Deftones are the only one that have managed to hold my interest for any extended period of time.

Feb 18, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #24 of 39
Ive come in fairly late so pretty much all that I can say has been said.

For some Evanescense is the first step towards female vocal rock & metal, for others its just something accessible to listen to from that area.

some of the more accessible albums in the area are

Within Temptation - Mother Earth
Within Temptation - The Silent Force (I dont like either of these, but they got the Dutch Pop award or something, and theyre goth rock albums ...)
The Gathering - How to Measure a Planet
The Gathering - If_then_else
The Gathering - Souvenirs
Lullacry - Be My God
Lullacry - Crucify My Heart
Lullacry - Vol. 4
Brave - Searching for the Sun
Asrai - Touch in the Dark
Bloodflowerz - Diabolik Angel
Bloodflowerz - 7 Benedictions, 7 Maledictions
Xandria - Kill the Sun
Xandria - India
After Forever - Remagine
Epica - Consign to Oblivion
Visions of Atlantis - Cast Away
Nightwish - Wishmaster
Nightwish - Century Child
Nightwish - Once
The Crest - Letters from Fire
Flowing Tears - Razorbliss
Lacuna Coil - Comalies
Silentium - Seducia
Tapping the Vein - The Damage
Theatres des Vampires - Pleasure and Pain

now for the not-so-mainstream albums, but the stuff your going to find that are more interesting
wink.gif

After Forever - Decipher
Ambeon - Fate of a Dreamer
Artrosis - Fetish
Artrosis - Melange
Catafalque - Unique
Charisma - Karma
Chalice - Chronicles of Dysphoria
Delight - The Fading Tale / Last Temptation
Diluvium - Aurora
Draconian - Arcane Rain Fell
Edenbridge - Sunrise in Eden
Edenbridge - Shine
Elegeion - The Last Moment
Epica - The Phantom Agony
Flowing Tears - Jade
Flowing Tears - Serpentine
Lacuna Coil - Lacuna Coil/In A Reverie
Left Hand Solution - Fevered
Nightwish - Oceanborn
Opera IX - The Black Opera
Ram-Zet - Intra
Shape of Despair - Angel of Distress
Silentium - Altum
Silentium - Sufferion: Harmatia of Prudence
Theatre of Tragedy - Theatre of Tragedy
Theatre of Tragedy - Velvet Darkness they Fear
Theatre of Tragedy - Aegis
The Gathering - Mandylion
The Gathering - Nighttime Birds
Tristania - Widow's Weeds
Tristania - Beyond the Veil
Tristania - World of Glass

alot of stuff that I have missed as well, but yeah go to Sonic Cathedral and you'll find 90% of it
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2006 at 12:43 PM Post #27 of 39
Quote:

I'm glad you like Stream of Passion. I'm into this kind of music for years and when I heard this album, I was totally enchanted. It instantly became one of my top 5 albums. The singer, Marcella, has such a beautiful voice and Arjen's compositions are simply marvellous. The use of a real grand piano was also a nice choice.

Feb 18, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #30 of 39
I can't believe that no one has mentioned Lennon or Kidneythieves yet. Make sure you check both of these out, they are both excellent!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back