Filing Taxes... in July?
Jul 20, 2007 at 2:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Digitalbath3737

500+ Head-Fier
So of course my irresponsible nephew has yet to file his taxes and of course my mother is very concerned about this. So as usual they send me (force me) in to clean up his mess (which is why the kid will never grow up ). Anyway on to my question.

Is it possible to file taxes in July without any penalty? He's a 19 year old kid, not in college, lives at home, not claimed by his parents and makes about 20k a year. I know zero about taxes so any help from fellow head fiers would be greatly appreciated to get my mother off my back about helping my "misguided" nephew.

Jul 20, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #4 of 12
He can always hole himself up in his home and claim taxes are unconstitutional. (which they technically are.)

tongue.gif

-Ed

Jul 20, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalbath3737 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So of course my irresponsible nephew has yet to file his taxes and of course my mother is very concerned about this. So as usual they send me (force me) in to clean up his mess (which is why the kid will never grow up ). Anyway on to my question.

Is it possible to file taxes in July without any penalty? He's a 19 year old kid, not in college, lives at home, not claimed by his parents and makes about 20k a year. I know zero about taxes so any help from fellow head fiers would be greatly appreciated to get my mother off my back about helping my "misguided" nephew.

A simplified version of the penalty rule is all taxes due must be paid by April 15th, and that a valid extension only extends the filing of the return.

At this point, just prepare the return and file it. If there is a refund due, I doubt any penalties with be forthcoming. If therwe is an amount due, pay it. Don't worry - the IRS will bill you for penalties.

Jul 21, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #6 of 12
Until your nephew starts being accountable and taking care of himself others will pay the price. After you take care of the filing you should take care of your nephew by beating him up and taking something he values as payment for the time you spent fixing his problem.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 21, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He can always hole himself up in his home and claim taxes are unconstitutional. (which they technically are.)

tongue.gif

-Ed

And then the ATF will bust down his door for non-tax-related purposes.

Jul 21, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #8 of 12
Stop bailing the kid out. He's got to learn responsibilty sometime. Usually, the painful lessons are the ones we remember. Hate to sound harsh, but todays youth simply don't know the meaning of the word....responsible.

Jul 21, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Until your nephew starts being accountable and taking care of himself others will pay the price. After you take care of the filing you should take care of your nephew by beating him up and taking something he values as payment for the time you spent fixing his problem.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stop bailing the kid out. He's got to learn responsibilty sometime. Usually, the painful lessons are the ones we remember. Hate to sound harsh, but todays youth simply don't know the meaning of the word....responsible.

I agree with that fully! I've already beat him up for wasting my time and this is certainly the last time I bail him out. The only reason why I bail him out is because my mother gets pissed at me when I don't. I'm the "dependable one" and "should be a role model" to him. I don't see how bailing his spoiled little *** out of every situation is being a role model, but it makes my mom happy. I told her today she'd be happier if he could stand up on his own two legs instead of leaning on me for everything (I had to pay his first semester in college because he "forgot" to file for financial aid and loans). Regardless I'm as much to blame as anyone for the punk. I should grow up myself and learn to put my foot down where family is concerned.

I told the worm to just file his taxes and gave him the phone number to H&R Block. Thanks for the helps guys. As always head fi comes through!

Jul 21, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by nibiyabi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which he probably doesn't, seeing as how he makes $20k.

The guys gets $20K a year and still not liable to taxes!!! Just how much do you need to earn before you need to pay
basshead.gif

Here in the UK if your income is over £5K you will need to pay income tax, thats about $10K US...so not only is everything cheaper in the US, you're also allowed to earn more before being charged tax!!! Right, I need to find myself an American woman
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 21, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #12 of 12
Don't confuse owing money at tax time with paying no income tax...here in the US we have this thing called withholding!!

At any rate, he will owe interest on the unpaid balance, and failure to file/pay penalty if he owes anything more than (I think...from memory) $500. I'd be surprised if they waved the penalty in a circumstance like this...they usually reserve that for folks who made a mistake and owe money they didn't think they did AND who owe up to it themselves. Forget about even trying to get the interest waved...I don't think that even an act of God can get THAT waved.

My advice would be to have him send in his payment (interest and penalty) in full. The longer this stays open, the more likely it is that he attracts other unwanted attention (e.g. the service, in the process of calcing his penalty and interest, becomes curious about what did he do wrt last year's filing). You might even be pleasantly surprised and find a check in the mail from the IRS refunding the penalty amount (though like I said, I'd not count on it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back