FiiO's new Q1 portable DAC-amp: Let's drink to "Happy Listening"!
Mar 23, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #541 of 903
Wow I should try that sometimes. They line out is shared right?
Yes, in general, if you drop the bass on the player, it makes the signal less muddy, slyly don't get a double amping effect. And you only need to drop the bass a couple notches. Primarily the mid-bass slider (50-80hz). The sub-bass (20-49hz) frequencies usually don't do much on most players.
For example, if you have a flat EQ, drop the mid-bass slider down 2 notches, give it a shot like that, or possibly just raise everything else up after the mid-bass slider two notches. By doing that it will provide the right amount of bite on guitars, pianos, cymbals, etc..

As always, this is a generalization, so depending on the earphones you are using it may need more or less raising or dropping.. But in general it's a very safe bet to start with those settings.

With the Q1, depending on the music, Rap, RnB, Techno, etc, it's best to turn on the Bass boost. If it's some form of Country music, Heavy Metal, Classical, you can be the judge for yourself on that one. But that's what I love about the Q1, it's a pretty versatile little unit.

In fact, one way that really added an insane amount of clarity was connecting the Q1 by the USB from my device then plugging my headphones in to the Line out of the Q1.
By doing that, you bypass the Bass boost function, and volume knob. So you have to use your player as the volume adjuster, but the sound you get is fantastic.. It easily rivals the iBasso D14 which is $200. Anytime you're bored, give it a shot.. You'll be surprised with the results.

Mar 23, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #542 of 903
  My Q1 Set up

I cant seam to post pictures like i do on other forums.  Is there a special way to do it here.  It says i dont have permission?  

Alex - you need to have been here a little longer and contributed a little more before getting full rights to posting links, photos etc.  The rules are there to protect the site from spammers. I've amended your profile - so have another shot at it.  If it doesn't work, PM me - and I'll see what we can do.

Mar 23, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #543 of 903
Wow I should try that sometimes. They line out is shared right?

It is one of those things that should definitely be tried at least for a 30 minute trial. Then go back to regular headphone out, you'll realize how muddy your music has been..

As far as whether the Line out and Headphone out is shared internally, I'm not sure. Sorry.

Mar 24, 2016 at 2:39 AM Post #544 of 903
It is one of those things that should definitely be tried at least for a 30 minute trial. Then go back to regular headphone out, you'll realize how muddy your music has been..

As far as whether the Line out and Headphone out is shared internally, I'm not sure. Sorry.

I just tried now because yesterday I left Q1 at my workshop

What can I detect initially is that headphone out are slightly recessed mid compared to line out. but it hard to asses because I cant really match the loudness just by ear alone.

what I mean shared is the line out is shared with line in port.

edit

Listening o track Canta Per Me from Yuriko Kaida and Alanis' Citizen of The Planet, it does seem like the sound is rater muddy from headphone out compared to line out which is cleaner by a margin. too. I testing with my Superlux Evo and Soundmagic E80. on E80 the stage seems wider too.

edit2: tested with sultan of swing, 3 output tested, Q1 line out, Q1 Headphone out & my SgS headphone out. definitely clearer and cleaner on Q1 line out. the difference is now quite obvious. of all three, sgs seems to be the fullest / warmest sound and Q1 line out the clearest

OK the question is now, will this (using line out) harm my Q1 or any other similar DAP / Dac Amp? also I think the sterile sound from line out might cause me fatigue. but the clarity is awesome!

Mar 24, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #545 of 903
I just tried now because yesterday I left Q1 at my workshop

What can I detect initially is that headphone out are slightly recessed mid compared to line out. but it hard to asses because I cant really match the loudness just by ear alone.

what I mean shared is the line out is shared with line in port.

edit

Listening o track Canta Per Me from Yuriko Kaida and Alanis' Citizen of The Planet, it does seem like the sound is rater muddy from headphone out compared to line out which is cleaner by a margin. too. I testing with my Superlux Evo and Soundmagic E80. on E80 the stage seems wider too.

edit2: tested with sultan of swing, 3 output tested, Q1 line out, Q1 Headphone out & my SgS headphone out. definitely clearer and cleaner on Q1 line out. the difference is now quite obvious. of all three, sgs seems to be the fullest / warmest sound and Q1 line out the clearest

OK the question is now, will this (using line out) harm my Q1 or any other similar DAP / Dac Amp? also I think the sterile sound from line out might cause me fatigue. but the clarity is awesome!

No, it won't hurt it one bit.. Some people strictly use some DACs with their Line Out exclusively. The Player you use usually can control the volume I love using the Q1 and the i also D14 using the Line out with any player I'm using, be it any of my DAPs or just my cellphone the iPhone 6..
My theory for it sounding better using Line out is the due to the crosstalk and Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) being higher than normal Headphone out.
If it ever does feel fatiguing, simply reduce the mids or Highs on the EQ, or simply switch back to Headphone Out.. Either way will be fine, completely up to you. Best way to resolve is to experiment which method works best for you.

As always, Happy listening everyone!!!

Mar 24, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #546 of 903
Back home and I carefully listening to chesky headphone track, just focusing on 2-3 track. I always suspect the deep bass in Amber Rubarth - Don't You (starting 0.9-0.13 sec) picked up by my earphones are rather boosted before. The instrument also sound more realistic and cohesive. Most chesky track are not fatiguing even with my wide bore sennheiser tips. But others might. I'm gonna listen to more track from classic rock like queen and led Zeppelin to find out.

This is interesting!

Mar 24, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #547 of 903
Back home and I carefully listening to chesky headphone track, just focusing on 2-3 track. I always suspect the deep bass in Amber Rubarth - Don't You (starting 0.9-0.13 sec) picked up by my earphones are rather boosted before. The instrument also sound more realistic and cohesive. Most chesky track are not fatiguing even with my wide bore sennheiser tips. But others might. I'm gonna listen to more track from classic rock like queen and led Zeppelin to find out.

This is interesting!

I agree, it's like re-rediscovering you music.. Lol..

Mar 25, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #549 of 903

Congrats! 
bigsmile_face.gif
  Me myself bought A Final Audio Design Heaven II just the other day... still loving it more and more using the Q1 Bass Boost. 
ksc75smile.gif
​​

What do you think are lacking with using M70x on the Q1? for me It seems sufficient enough, if anything a next upgrade I'd consider is adding an Amp to it's Line Out. Also, I never think the treble of M70x is ever harsh at all, It's pronounced, yes, but its as smooth as silk in my opinion. ​​

Mar 25, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #550 of 903
Actually, I don't own the Q1, but I was considering buying it :)
I've got a Yamaha AX-V496RDS, which is not a headphone amp, but did well with the M40X. Comparing my onboard sound (Realtek ALC898 Audio Codec), the Yamaha, and my phone (Oneplus One), I've found that the phone sounds the best. My Yamaha is noisy, and music sounds a bit worse with it. Onboard may be a bit clearer, but I can hear a noise every time something is drawn on the computer screen or I move my mouse. Also lacking in soundstage, and for some reason, sounds less comfortable to my ears. My phone is the clear winner, no noise, and overall better, clearer sound, so this made me realize that I need to get myself a new DAC for my PC, most likely an ODAC :)
Also, M70X's treble is amazing with the Oneplus One, but sounds a tiny bit harsh with my Yamaha :frowning2:
I'm really surprised by the difference between the M40X and the M70X, while using both with the Yamaha dac/amp. It's a lot more suited for the M40X, I can't really explain why.

Mar 25, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #551 of 903
Maybe the M70x is just a bit more sensitive with high Output impedance Amp? It sounds good using on board DAC & Amp of my PC and Fiio M3 back when I didn't have a Q1, my impression was that it's perfect for me if only it has just a touch more bass... now the Q1 take care of that, what's your impression of using it with your phone?

about noise... even I heard a noise form my phone (lumia 920) when I'm using it's touchscreen, also I've heard some batch of iPhone 6S has this glaring problem too. Though only on IEM (very small one on IM50), its not that loud to pose problem either indoor or outdoor...

Mar 26, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #552 of 903
Oh man after listening to line out for couple of days I felt like investing in good DAP. My budget would allowed for x3 gen2. I don't have any place to audition for at least 2 weeks. X3 also can double as dac for pc right? How comparable the x3 output to q1 line out? I'm curious. Will audition myself when I did my monthly visit to city.

Also is there suggestions for good DAP for 200-250 dollar (below Rm 1k) I already have potential buyer for my Q1 so can add to the fund a little. Or should I wait to buy FLC8s iem instead. :triumph:

Mar 26, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #553 of 903
Oh man after listening to line out for couple of days I felt like investing in good DAP. My budget would allowed for x3 gen2. I don't have any place to audition for at least 2 weeks. X3 also can double as dac for pc right? How comparable the x3 output to q1 line out? I'm curious. Will audition myself when I did my monthly visit to city.

Also is there suggestions for good DAP for 200-250 dollar (below Rm 1k) I already have potential buyer for my Q1 so can add to the fund a little. Or should I wait to buy FLC8s iem instead. :triumph:

My go to budget dap recommendation used to the Fiio X3ii, but after owning the Shanling M2, I have been converted. The Shanling M2 sounds so natural. The Fiio X3ii sounds more compressed giving it a slight digital feel.. You will never notice the difference until you have both of them in your possession.. Same goes with the Fiio X5ii.. Don't misunderstand me though.. The X3ii and X5ii both are amazing products, they are the top selling products for a good reason... I just feel like if you want a front row seat as if you were in a concert, go with the Shanling M2. There is no way to explain how it sounds other than using words like "Natural", "Organic", or "Full-bodied"

Mar 26, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #554 of 903
http://www.head-fi.org/products/hidizs-ap100-portable-hifi-audio-player

This dap offers sq on par with the ak120 at a significantly lower price. However I can't find it ANYWHERE in Malaysia. Maybe you can get it when you go for overseas trips.

Mar 26, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #555 of 903

Getting a new dap will get you 10-20% increments on sq, getting a new iem would get you 2 or 3 times more sq improvement .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back