FiiOE3/5/7 which to get
Jan 15, 2011 at 1:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

killerfrenzi

100+ Head-Fier
I'm going to get a pair of Triple.fi 10s and I already have my ATH-M50s, and I was thinking about buying a mini amp, but I'm not sure which one I should buy and what the difference are between especially the E5 and E7. I just know E7 has DAC + USB over the E5, but that's about it.

Jan 15, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #2 of 14
Speaking from personal experience, the E7 is a much better amp than the E5. The E5 is decent for the price but not all that great in the grand scheme of things.

Jan 15, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #4 of 14
If you are trying to get better sound from, say a laptop internal sound card, than E7 will be my recommendation, or else you don't really need an amp with TF10. But if you still want to try, E7 is a better choice than E5.

Jan 15, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #5 of 14
I'm mainly going to use the amp for my galaxy s and for $18 shipped for a E5, I don't really see why not. but still skeptical.

are there any other better alternatives for a low budget?

Jan 15, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #6 of 14
Well, I actually have both E3 and E5 and a galaxy s. They are not pretty bad for the money but you generally get a volume increase and a little bass boost. E3 is just awful with galaxy s and my im716 coz the volume boost ain't that good and there is distortion but I guess im716 is really hard to drive. E5 does a way better job without distortion but generally both do better from other sources and are not that great with the galaxy s (for instance my philips headphones sound like speakers if the fiio is connected to my pc but with the galaxy s the boost is nowhere near. I also thought of getting E7 but I just ordered cMoyBB which ClieOS recommended to me and it has pretty good reviews and is only 65 bucks - oh, and looks way cooler ; )  But I guess I'll wait at least a month till it arrives, so I can't tell you right now how is its synergy with the galaxy s and if it is picking any noise from the mobile phone's signal.

Jan 15, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #7 of 14
I don't think there is anything comparable to E5 at that price range. Obviously the E7 will offer better sound but at 4 times the price, you should decide if you really need it.
Quote:
I'm mainly going to use the amp for my galaxy s and for $18 shipped for a E5, I don't really see why not. but still skeptical.

are there any other better alternatives for a low budget?

Jan 15, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #8 of 14
Since you'll be using the ATH-M50s, I'd certainly recommend E7 or go for cMoyBB (budget). If you are on strict budget, then E5 offering 15-30 percent boost is also good for you. I own both E5 and E7. Even with my 2 year old E63, I still prefer to use E7 because it makes me forget the fact that music files are being sourced from a frikkin' Nokia phone!

Jan 15, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #9 of 14
I don't like the way my triple.fi 10's sound with my e5, I'd much rather use them straight out of my cowon J3.  Out of a phone, an e5 might be a small improvement, but it really isn't necessary.  It's also annoying having the e5 dangling around and it will probably scratch your phone too since it's metal and not phone friendly.  I used to use my e5 from my Nokia phone with HF5's and they did help a bit and are very good for the price.  Being good for the price doesn't mean that much though, since they're really cheap.... in my opinion it's really cool that the e5 works and does what it's supposed to do for such a low price, but it's really not anything great.

Feb 4, 2011 at 7:18 AM Post #10 of 14
let me say this...
e3... makes everything worse than the original...
e5... no difference in good, that if it doesn't make everything worse....
e7... is good, pretty good, verry good compared to it's brothers....
e11.... next generation amplifier....

want until e11 is out, about march.... e7 is a usb dac, it;s meant to be used as usb dac, not headphones amplifier.,.. it's great as headphonesc aplifier, but not the same deal as it is as usb dac.... u should't buy it only for headphones....

e11 will have a much more higher wuality for headphone amplifying, and will be cheaper than e7... you decide....
and about what you were saying.... e7 is an usb dac... it does not just have this.... the headphone amplifier for it is e7+e9, wich is desktop headphone amplifier... e7 alone makes a good job, but it's not that stellar.... it may improve, but not dramatic.....

Feb 4, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #11 of 14
I have the E3 and it's a piece of crap.  I only use it to boost volume when I'm taking a flight somewhere and want to watch a movie on my PSP (which plays at very low volumes).  Don't buy it if you care whatsoever about sound quality.

Feb 4, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #12 of 14
no mention of the PA2v2? Better then cmoy IMHO

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #13 of 14
Well I have a HTC Desire HD, and when I ordered my BrainWavz M2's they threw in a E5 for free.

The HTC DHD is not very good (if nothing else 40% quieter than an iphone4 I tired side-by-side with my CX300 II IEMs).

I'll let you know what my impressions are when I (eventually) get them

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #14 of 14
the M2's are VERY sensitive so most likely you'll get plenty of output. i am running the Desire HD audio drivers on my HTC Incredible and i can say that the drivers from the DHD are pretty damn good.

if the DHD has been rooted, you may want to look into doing that and install an app called DSP Manager along with the appropriate file in the "lib" folder to make it work. it's an EQ that has control over the whole audio path, not just built into one app. check out the xda developers forum for more info.

Quote:
Well I have a HTC Desire HD, and when I ordered my BrainWavz M2's they threw in a E5 for free.

The HTC DHD is not very good (if nothing else 40% quieter than an iphone4 I tired side-by-side with my CX300 II IEMs).

I'll let you know what my impressions are when I (eventually) get them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back