FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Mar 29, 2017 at 5:38 AM Post #17,116 of 18,019
  Thanks for your comments. It's just FiiO's firmware's seem to be an absolute car crash. X5iii, X7, X1ii all have massive issues, more so than other manufacturers. Just go on FiiO's official forum.

It's like buying fish and chips. You expect to tweak it with salt and vinegar to taste, but here, we are getting under cooked products. FiiO are obviously releasing products too quickly, with under developed firmware and we, the end users are doing their jobs for them finding all the many faults.

I really think I'm done with FiiO and that hurts, because they were my first proper DAP after an iPod  Classic 160gb. I've had X3, X3ii, X5, several X5ii's and an X7, but no more. Sorry.

I understand that.

What has kept me with FiiO so far is their attitude and the fact that X7 is, arguably, one of the best sounding DAPs in the market, much more for the price. I think FiiO concluded it was better to keep open all those communication channels, withstand all the critics and grow in a painfull away, than taking the risk of beeing left behind ... I respect that... and now, their "under cooked" products are getting "AL DENTE" ...

Regards

Mar 29, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #17,118 of 18,019
  Thanks for your comments. It's just FiiO's firmware's seem to be an absolute car crash. X5iii, X7, X1ii all have massive issues, more so than other manufacturers. Just go on FiiO's official forum.

It's like buying fish and chips. You expect to tweak it with salt and vinegar to taste, but here, we are getting under cooked products. FiiO are obviously releasing products too quickly, with under developed firmware and we, the end users are doing their jobs for them finding all the many faults.

I really think I'm done with FiiO and that hurts, because they were my first proper DAP after an iPod  Classic 160gb. I've had X3, X3ii, X5, several X5ii's and an X7, but no more. Sorry.

​I honestly did not have those apparently serious issues with the FW on X7 at all. I had an issue with songs being interrupted and not continued to the next song but thanks to input from this forum, a factory reset and rescanning solved it for me.

When you look at the electronics used in both devices (DAC etc.) you will realize that X7 uses better components. Plus you can change Amplifier modules to match your needs.

For me with AM3 balanced output, the X7 is now on a whole other level. Haven't listened to X5 III though...

Mar 29, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #17,119 of 18,019
It's just FiiO's firmware's seem to be an absolute car crash. X5iii, X7, X1ii all have massive issues, more so than other manufacturers. Just go on FiiO's official forum.

Which company will have more complaints on their forum: one that sold 10000 players, of one that sold 500? Or, may be one that doesn't have forum at all?

Fiio definitely doesn't have more problems then other manufacturers. I've had almost every single DAP, released on market, so I can compare. I don't want to start pointing at other manufacturers and name errors in their DAPs, as it's not fair, but you can read corresponding threads and does comparisons yourself.
Moreover, Fiio is really successful in fixing bugs and delivering new features, no other company can release new FW almost every week. For example, it's more then a year passed since one company promised to add swipe scroll to FW of their player, which costs more then X7. And guess what? It's still not here.

Mar 29, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #17,120 of 18,019
Yes, FiiO does release lots of firmware updates, but most are bug fixes and not added features. Also, if FiiO has sold 10,000 of any particular unit and does get the correspondingly appropriate amount of complaints, then FiiO will have a massive amount of information to help with their bug fixes. Trouble is, with the X7 for example, every new Beta update cures some problems, but introduces some others. This can be seen on the FiiO forum.

Anyway, like I said, I'm really sad I can't bring myself to purchase any more FiiO products for the time being at least. I felt part of a community.

Mar 29, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #17,121 of 18,019
  Hi All

If you had the choice to purchase either a X5 3rd Gen or a X7 for roughly the same price new, which one would you get and why?

Thanks in advance.

Darren

X7... I like the more treble energetic sound with X7 + AM03 compared to FiiO X5-3's smooth sound. But that is a matter of preference. 

x7 coz it os different league. don't read on spec to judge how a dap sounded. x7 sounded much better overall

Totally. 

Thanks for the reply. It's just the X7's firmware has been Beta forever and thought they may never sort it out with the rumored X7ii coming sometime this year?

I do have an A5 amp for my X5ii, so the amping isn't that important.

You won't need A5 for X7, so you're getting a better whole package solution in that case. 

We must have different X7s. Which module are you using on the X7?

Actually, for the little time spent with both, I found X7 to be better as well. X7 + AM03 has more energetic sound than X5-3. I am generally positive that X5-3 is one of the best devices I tested to date and X7 lacks dual mSDs and such, but the sound alone, I like X7 + aM03 better than X5-3... I can hear the differences in treble in less than 1 second actually.

As of last night, I was sure I was going to get a X5 3rd Gen, but pretty much all the posts from late last night UK time on the X5iii thread are all about firmware bugs. It's the reason I sold my X7 and got the Questyle QP1R. What is wrong with FiiO? It seems like all it's customers are Alpha/Beta testers!

Can anyone recommend a DAP up to £1000 that I should shortlist?

I have an iFi Audio Micro iDSD Black and Audioquest NightOwl Carbon headphones combination for home use, so that's pretty much sorted, but wanted to upgrade my portable setup of FiiO X5ii, Fidue A83 and Shure SE846.

No bugs in my experience. Flawless operation on both X7 and X5-3. I don't need anything else buy music and folder brosing tho...

Which company will have more complaints on their forum: one that sold 10000 players, of one that sold 500? Or, may be one that doesn't have forum at all?

Fiio definitely doesn't have more problems then other manufacturers. I've had almost every single DAP, released on market, so I can compare. I don't want to start pointing at other manufacturers and name errors in their DAPs, as it's not fair, but you can read corresponding threads and does comparisons yourself.
Moreover, Fiio is really successful in fixing bugs and delivering new features, no other company can release new FW almost every week. For example, it's more then a year passed since one company promised to add swipe scroll to FW of their player, which costs more then X7. And guess what? It's still not here.

I love FiiO for this man. 

My phones had tons of issues and none got solved, I ended up selling my HTC 820 - at the end of its life, it was still full of crippling bugs. HTC fully denied all problems even tho the problems were there and everyone saw them. 

Same for other products I owned. Ignore the fact FiiO is a DAP maker, this is a unique thing to happen in the entire world! We need more people like FiiO! We need.

Mar 30, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #17,122 of 18,019
  Yes, FiiO does release lots of firmware updates, but most are bug fixes and not added features. Also, if FiiO has sold 10,000 of any particular unit and does get the correspondingly appropriate amount of complaints, then FiiO will have a massive amount of information to help with their bug fixes. Trouble is, with the X7 for example, every new Beta update cures some problems, but introduces some others. This can be seen on the FiiO forum.

Anyway, like I said, I'm really sad I can't bring myself to purchase any more FiiO products for the time being at least. I felt part of a community.

I don't blame you at all - I'm somewhat tolerant of buggy software, so I’ve been willing to stick with Fiio’s players. But I can understand how others would not be willing to deal with stuff like this (for example, just today when I was listening to the X5iii using my finger to touch the progress bar to skip through the music would not consistently work).

But yeah, Fiio’s firmware is not perfect and if that doesn’t suit you, it’s a perfectly good reason why not to get their players.

Mar 30, 2017 at 2:57 AM Post #17,123 of 18,019
  on 3.1.9 firmware FiiO Music is crashing when i'm switching songs very fast. So annoying.

PRODUCT = X7
SDK_INT = 22
versionName = FiiO Music V3.1.5
versionCode = 11
MODEL = X7
java.lang.RuntimeException: Error receiving broadcast Intent { act=com.fiio.music.player.brocast flg=0x10 (has extras) } in com.fiio.music.activity.PlayerMainActivity$MediaPlayerBroadcastReceiver@31aeec9a
at android.app.LoadedApk$ReceiverDispatcher$Args.run(LoadedApk.java:876)
at android.os.Handler.handleCallback(Handler.java:739)
at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:95)
at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:135)
at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:5258)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:372)
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:940)
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:735)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to invoke interface method 'int java.lang.CharSequence.length()' on a null object reference
at java.util.regex.Matcher.reset(Matcher.java:177)
at java.util.regex.Matcher.<init>(Matcher.java:90)
at java.util.regex.Pattern.matcher(Pattern.java:297)
at com.fiio.music.network.util.StringUtil.StringFilter(StringUtil.java:16)
at com.fiio.music.activity.PlayerMainActivity.loadLyric(PlayerMainActivity.java:2444)
at com.fiio.music.activity.PlayerMainActivity$MediaPlayerBroadcastReceiver.onReceive(PlayerMainActivity.java:877)
at android.app.LoadedApk$ReceiverDispatcher$Args.run(LoadedApk.java:866)
... 8 more

PRODUCT = X7
SDK_INT = 22
versionCode = 11
MODEL = X7
java.lang.RuntimeException: Error receiving broadcast Intent { act=com.fiio.music.player.brocast flg=0x10 (has extras) } in com.fiio.music.activity.PlayerMainActivity$MediaPlayerBroadcastReceiver@326cfdd9
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:940)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to invoke interface method 'int java.lang.CharSequence.length()' on a null object reference
at com.fiio.music.activity.PlayerMainActivity.loadLyric(PlayerMainActivity.java:2444)
at com.fiio.music.activity.PlayerMainActivity$MediaPlayerBroadcastReceiver.onReceive(PlayerMainActivity.java:877)
... 8 more

PRODUCT = X7
SDK_INT = 22
versionCode = 11
MODEL = X7
java.lang.RuntimeException: Error receiving broadcast Intent { act=com.fiio.music.player.brocast flg=0x10 (has extras) } in com.fiio.music.activity.PlayerMainActivity$MediaPlayerBroadcastReceiver@26dd6704
... 8 more

Dear spetrushin, 

Thank you for the feedback. We will report to the engineers about that. Sorry for bringing inconvenience to you.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 30, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #17,124 of 18,019
Hey, I would love some help.

How do the Fiio X5iii and the X7 (with say AM02 - or any you've tried) compare on sub-bass? Here in terms of general presence, impact and clarity (does it bloat a lot). I felt like the x5iii was surprisingly lacking in sub bass extension, but I had thought it would have quite a bit. I tried the James Blake "Limit Your Love" track. I also feel it was a bit warm overall with my Momentums, so now I'm strongly considering selling it and buying the X7. 

I would really appreciate some advice guys. How is the sub bass on the X7? 

Best

Mar 30, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #17,126 of 18,019
  Hey, I would love some help.

How do the Fiio X5iii and the X7 (with say AM02 - or any you've tried) compare on sub-bass? Here in terms of general presence, impact and clarity (does it bloat a lot). I felt like the x5iii was surprisingly lacking in sub bass extension, but I had thought it would have quite a bit. I tried the James Blake "Limit Your Love" track. I also feel it was a bit warm overall with my Momentums, so now I'm strongly considering selling it and buying the X7. 

I would really appreciate some advice guys. How is the sub bass on the X7? 

Best

I have that track and the Dr. Chesky's Sensational, Fantastic, and Simply Amazing Binaural Sound Show track 14-Bach Jesu Joy Of Man's Desiring.  With the X7 and AM3 the sub bass is very good.  In fact it feels like my whole head is vibrating from the low bass of the organ.  I am using it with the 64 Audio A12 CIEM.  The X7 has it's issues (exact same issues as the X5III) however It has the best sound of all the FIIO players.  I am fond of the ESS9018.  It is one of my favorite DAC chips as long as it is implemented well as FIIO did.  Very accurate and neutral.  Too bad FIIO didn't use it in the X5III as I would have kept it.

Mar 30, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #17,127 of 18,019
hey folks,

is there any way to keep up with the frequent firmwares downloads? By the time I check this thread, a link to FW download is always buried couple of pages back.

I thought I will be able to find comprehensive firmware list here
http://www.fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=39932

But none of the latest 3.x beta FWs are there.

What is your source for X7 firmwares besides this thread? Any link/place where I can always find the link for latest FW to download?

Thanks!

Mar 30, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #17,128 of 18,019
Just want to say thanks it worked :grinning:

Great! free beer for life!!! 
beerchug.gif

Mar 30, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #17,129 of 18,019
  hey folks,

is there any way to keep up with the frequent firmwares downloads? By the time I check this thread, a link to FW download is always buried couple of pages back.

What is your source for X7 firmwares besides this thread? Any link/place where I can always find the link for latest FW to download?

Thanks!

I tend to keep an eye on the top posts on their forum:
http://www.fiio.me/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=65

Generally speaking the top X7 FW reference is the latest.

Mar 30, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #17,130 of 18,019
  hey folks,

Thanks!

http://fiio.me
forum.  General Discussion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back