FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Mar 28, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #17,101 of 18,019
  Hi All

If you had the choice to purchase either a X5 3rd Gen or a X7 for roughly the same price new, which one would you get and why?

Thanks in advance.

Darren

The X7 as the software is pretty much the same, but the modules can be exchanged. (which basically means you can upgrade the thing for way less money than a complete new device, you only need a "better" amp)

Having said this, if you don't mind also having a thick amplifier stuck to the back of the X5, then go with the X5

Mar 28, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #17,102 of 18,019
Thanks for the reply. It's just the X7's firmware has been Beta forever and thought they may never sort it out with the rumored X7ii coming sometime this year?

I do have an A5 amp for my X5ii, so the amping isn't that important.

Mar 28, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #17,103 of 18,019
  Thanks for the reply. It's just the X7's firmware has been Beta forever and thought they may never sort it out with the rumored X7ii coming sometime this year?

I do have an A5 amp for my X5ii, so the amping isn't that important.

It's beta but it's the exact same as the X5iii so I would worry about it.  It's actually quite stable now with a few minor bugs left to fix.  I'm really enjoying my X7 now and have no intention of upgrading anytime soon.  I own the AM1, 2, 3 and 5 to go along with it.

Mar 28, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #17,104 of 18,019
Hi All

If you had the choice to purchase either a X5 3rd Gen or a X7 for roughly the same price new, which one would you get and why?

Thanks in advance.

Darren

X5iii for me - all day, every day. Better form factor, dual slots, better volume control. Unless you're driving hard to drive headphones (and X5iii handles HD600 and HD800S great for my listening volumes) - then for me the features on the X5iii are better. As far as SQ goes - when volume matched they are very similar. You can change the tonality on the X7 using different amp modules - but I can change a lot on the X5iii with EQ or Viper as well.

Mar 28, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #17,105 of 18,019
x7 coz it os different league. don't read on spec to judge how a dap sounded. x7 sounded much better overall

We must have different X7s. Which module are you using on the X7?

Mar 28, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #17,106 of 18,019
SQ differences between the X7 and X5iii depend on what headphones you're using. I have some headphones where the X7 is appreciably better and others where I cannot reliably A/B any difference at all. In my experience, the X5iii is best used with headphones that are not too hard to drive, but also not too easy to drive (i.e., not too sensitive). It's a tough call. The X5iii has the better form factor, two microSD card slots and that really nice volume control. On the other hand, the X7 has better amps (and many to choose from) and can be had for a bargain price right now.

Mar 28, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #17,108 of 18,019
X5iii for me - all day, every day. Better form factor, dual slots, better volume control. Unless you're driving hard to drive headphones (and X5iii handles HD600 and HD800S great for my listening volumes) - then for me the features on the X5iii are better. As far as SQ goes - when volume matched they are very similar. You can change the tonality on the X7 using different amp modules - but I can change a lot on the X5iii with EQ or Viper as well.

Thanks Brooko. I'm going to get one. Already having an A5 to partner with it is a bonus. Will you be doing a review?

Mar 28, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #17,109 of 18,019
on 3.1.9 firmware FiiO Music is crashing when i'm switching songs very fast. So annoying.

PRODUCT = X7
SDK_INT = 22
versionName = FiiO Music V3.1.5
versionCode = 11
MODEL = X7
java.lang.RuntimeException: Error receiving broadcast Intent { act=com.fiio.music.player.brocast flg=0x10 (has extras) } in com.fiio.music.activity.PlayerMainActivity$MediaPlayerBroadcastReceiver@31aeec9a
at android.app.LoadedApk$ReceiverDispatcher$Args.run(LoadedApk.java:876)
at android.os.Handler.handleCallback(Handler.java:739)
at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:95)
at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:135)
at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:5258)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:372)
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:940)
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:735)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to invoke interface method 'int java.lang.CharSequence.length()' on a null object reference
at java.util.regex.Matcher.reset(Matcher.java:177)
at java.util.regex.Matcher.<init>(Matcher.java:90)
at java.util.regex.Pattern.matcher(Pattern.java:297)
at com.fiio.music.network.util.StringUtil.StringFilter(StringUtil.java:16)
at com.fiio.music.activity.PlayerMainActivity.loadLyric(PlayerMainActivity.java:2444)
at com.fiio.music.activity.PlayerMainActivity$MediaPlayerBroadcastReceiver.onReceive(PlayerMainActivity.java:877)
at android.app.LoadedApk$ReceiverDispatcher$Args.run(LoadedApk.java:866)
... 8 more

PRODUCT = X7
SDK_INT = 22
versionCode = 11
MODEL = X7
java.lang.RuntimeException: Error receiving broadcast Intent { act=com.fiio.music.player.brocast flg=0x10 (has extras) } in com.fiio.music.activity.PlayerMainActivity$MediaPlayerBroadcastReceiver@326cfdd9
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:940)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to invoke interface method 'int java.lang.CharSequence.length()' on a null object reference
at com.fiio.music.activity.PlayerMainActivity.loadLyric(PlayerMainActivity.java:2444)
at com.fiio.music.activity.PlayerMainActivity$MediaPlayerBroadcastReceiver.onReceive(PlayerMainActivity.java:877)
... 8 more

PRODUCT = X7
SDK_INT = 22
versionCode = 11
MODEL = X7
java.lang.RuntimeException: Error receiving broadcast Intent { act=com.fiio.music.player.brocast flg=0x10 (has extras) } in com.fiio.music.activity.PlayerMainActivity$MediaPlayerBroadcastReceiver@26dd6704
... 8 more

Mar 28, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #17,111 of 18,019
  Thanks Brooko. I'm going to get one. Already having an A5 to partner with it is a bonus. Will you be doing a review?

Yeah - as soon as I can stop the 12-14 hour days at work.  Actually looking forward to doing some writing again.

Mar 28, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #17,112 of 18,019
  Hi All

Thanks in advance.

Darren

I know that you’ve already made your decision, but I just wanted to chime in and say that the X5 3rd gen isn’t really all that worse than the X7.

The only major thing that I might think of the X5 3rd gen faltering at compared to the X7 is driving extremely demanding headphones, and even then the X7 has to be equipped with the AM3 or the AM5. Also, the X5 3rd gen and the X7 sound slightly different in terms of tonality. The X5 is very slightly warmer, while the X7 is very slightly “colder”. I would think most people would actually gravitate towards the X5 3rd gen sound signature (I used to prefer the X7 here, but having listened to the X5 now for a while I think I’m starting to prefer that instead.)

Otherwise, I think it’s actually quite remarkable that Fiio has managed to largely match the overall sound quality of the X7 (especially the DACs) at a lower price point.

Mar 29, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #17,113 of 18,019

I know that you’ve already made your decision, but I just wanted to chime in and say that the X5 3rd gen isn’t really all that worse than the X7.

The only major thing that I might think of the X5 3rd gen faltering at compared to the X7 is driving extremely demanding headphones, and even then the X7 has to be equipped with the AM3 or the AM5. Also, the X5 3rd gen and the X7 sound slightly different in terms of tonality. The X5 is very slightly warmer, while the X7 is very slightly “colder”. I would think most people would actually gravitate towards the X5 3rd gen sound signature (I used to prefer the X7 here, but having listened to the X5 now for a while I think I’m starting to prefer that instead.)

Otherwise, I think it’s actually quite remarkable that Fiio has managed to largely match the overall sound quality of the X7 (especially the DACs) at a lower price point.

As of last night, I was sure I was going to get a X5 3rd Gen, but pretty much all the posts from late last night UK time on the X5iii thread are all about firmware bugs. It's the reason I sold my X7 and got the Questyle QP1R. What is wrong with FiiO? It seems like all it's customers are Alpha/Beta testers!

Can anyone recommend a DAP up to £1000 that I should shortlist?

I have an iFi Audio Micro iDSD Black and Audioquest NightOwl Carbon headphones combination for home use, so that's pretty much sorted, but wanted to upgrade my portable setup of FiiO X5ii, Fidue A83 and Shure SE846.

Mar 29, 2017 at 4:49 AM Post #17,114 of 18,019
  As of last night, I was sure I was going to get a X5 3rd Gen, but pretty much all the posts from late last night UK time on the X5iii thread are all about firmware bugs. It's the reason I sold my X7 and got the Questyle QP1R. What is wrong with FiiO? It seems like all it's customers are Alpha/Beta testers!

It wouldn't make much sense to get a X5 3rd now if you sold your X7 because of firmware - its a step beyond and a step back to the same place. @Brooko unveiled a bit of his opinion on X5 3rd sound quality that should be very similar to X7, so you won't win much, if not nothing on that matter.

If I didn't own X7 and was looking now for a new DAP, unless SQ could change my opinion, I would most probably opt for X5 3rd because of the form factor, dual slot, volume wheel and the fact that it has a balanced output out of the box - as a X7 owner I don't even think about it. So, what has @FiiO kept on the box as an exclusive offer to future X7 2nd owners? at this moment I can't imagine anything than pure sound quality, their "reference", the final, FINAL, end of the game portable audio player.
I would wait a few more months for it ... 
L3000.gif

My 2 cents

Mar 29, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #17,115 of 18,019
Thanks for your comments. It's just FiiO's firmware's seem to be an absolute car crash. X5iii, X7, X1ii all have massive issues, more so than other manufacturers. Just go on FiiO's official forum.

It's like buying fish and chips. You expect to tweak it with salt and vinegar to taste, but here, we are getting under cooked products. FiiO are obviously releasing products too quickly, with under developed firmware and we, the end users are doing their jobs for them finding all the many faults.

I really think I'm done with FiiO and that hurts, because they were my first proper DAP after an iPod  Classic 160gb. I've had X3, X3ii, X5, several X5ii's and an X7, but no more. Sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back