FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Mar 23, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #17,071 of 18,019

I am trying to decide which is the better computer sounding speakers. The audioengine A5+ or the audioengine HD3.
I would appreciate any help. The HD3 uses bluetooth and music from that I have not really liked.

Ken

Mar 23, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #17,072 of 18,019

I am trying to decide which is the better computer sounding speakers. The audioengine A5+ or the audioengine HD3.
I would appreciate any help. The HD3 uses bluetooth and music from that I have not really liked.

Ken

I wouldn't buy the HD3's for the Bluetooth.  If you want a small speaker the HD3's are good.  If you want a bigger speaker the A5+ might be better for you.
Also if you don't mind a bigger speaker (12" tall) as bms44974 has stated look at the JBL LSR305's at a cost of $149 is a steal.  Then you will have money left over for a DAC.

Mar 24, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #17,074 of 18,019

I wouldn't buy the HD3's for the Bluetooth.  If you want a small speaker the HD3's are good.  If you want a bigger speaker the A5+ might be better for you.
Also if you don't mind a bigger speaker (12" tall) as bms44974 has stated look at the JBL LSR305's at a cost of $149 is a steal.  Then you will have money left over for a DAC.

Thank you. I did some research and the AV40 Monitor Studio was rated high and I ordered it. Have you any info on this relative to the JBL model.

Mar 24, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #17,077 of 18,019

Also, how would you set up the speakers to the PC for the JBL.

You just plug the speakers into the audio out (green) on the back of the PC or get a external USB DAC and connect the RCA's to the JBL. 
The JBL's will work just fine ether way.  You may need to get a 3.5mm stereo to RCA cable if you are not using an external DAC.

Mar 24, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #17,078 of 18,019

Thank you. I did some research and the AV40 Monitor Studio was rated high and I ordered it. Have you any info on this relative to the JBL model.

The AV40 is the old model. the AV42 is the new one.  The AV42 would make a great computer speaker. 

Mar 24, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #17,079 of 18,019
@FiiO

I'm at the last beta firmware 3.1.8 and I encountered some bugs.

. The problem of stopping the music after the finish of a track, continues. At the end of a track, on almost cases, the player don't start the next song. When I press the button to turn on the screen to see whats going on, the music starts to play for a second and stop after the screen becames dark. The play/pause button makes the same. When I start to press it, the song starts to play, but when I finish to press it pauses the song. Its VERY ANNOYING!!!

. Some chineses characters continues. This problem is almost fixed, but I found some problems that persists here. The characters problems is when the music or artist use letters like 'ç', 'ã', 'á', 'é', 'ê', 'í'

. When the button play/pause is used with the Screen off, sometimes the music is playing but with no sound at all.

. When I use the pause button and return pressing again to play the music, it has some music distortion and some agressive clippings.Something like a fade out (for pause) and fade in (for play) os something that reduce it will be interesting.

. Using the Play/Pause button, sometimes the music jump some seconds after the button use.

When the 'Search' function is selected the X7 freezes for some seconds and gets slow and take a long time to start the Search screen. After that, the selection of each letter is very slow too. The selected letters get some time to start appear at the text box. Is not fluid like the rest of the Fiio app music.

Mar 24, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #17,080 of 18,019

FWIW - I've owned the AV40, JBL LSR305s, and the Audioengines plus countless others. Used the X7 with all of them as well.

From simply a sound wise point of view, the JBL's are in a different league than the other 2.
The A5's are closer in performance yet I'm not a fan of the "consumer" tuning.

The 305's are larger than the AV 40 yet I used them on a desktop for years ( on short stands to de-couple)
JBL pretty much changed the market for affordable ( great sounding) monitors with the 305s - there are countless reviews across the globe attesting that.

All three of those monitors have their own strengths and weaknesses- but the single reason I let go of the AV 40 was the "boxy sound" and limited extension.
Soundwise:  Av 40 =3, A 5= 4, LSR = 5 ( based on sound per dollar)
Amazon has pairs for 280 and 289 w/ cables- thats pretty sick for the sound you get from them.

Mar 25, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #17,081 of 18,019
Official X7 beta firmware (Android 5.1) download and discussion-- FW3.1.9_betaThe following changes and improvements have been made to the FW3.1.9_beta compared to the FW3.1.8_beta.

1) Added option to return to the root directory with just one click while in the Folder view menu;
2) Fixed issue where FiiO Music would exit abnormally after creating a FiiO Music widget in the home screen;
3) Fixed issue where the ViPER effect would not work after restarting the player;
4) Fixed issue where the track number display and track skipping under a folder/album might not work properly;
5) Fixed issue where FiiO Music would exit abnormally when switching the display between different track lists;
6) Fixed issue where the now playing list would be displayed incorrectly when resume playing a song;
7) Fixed issue where the Sleep timer value would not be reset after the Sleep function took effect;
8) Fixed issue where the set value of Idle poweroff timer might change after restarting the player;
9) Fixed issue where the idle poweroff function would still take effect when in DAC mode;

Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/p98hckvykjlbn4m/X7-ota-3.1.9beta.zip?dl=0

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 25, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #17,084 of 18,019
Still waiting to have the file structure fixed. Been asking for it for months. All I want is for artist to be displayed in alphabetical order beyond the first letter. Drives me crazy that The Ramones comes before The Beatles. Better yet, have bands like "The Beatles" sort alphabetically by "Beatles" like every other quality player. Or let user decide how they sort. I hate having to retag my catalog specifically for this player.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back