FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Oct 24, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #14,866 of 18,020

Respectfully, I would say the irony of this has sailed clean over your head. The fact that gapless playback used to (sometimes) work on FW 2.0 - and is now a deprecated feature in FW 3.0 moves this issue from bug-fix, to a new feature request. How about if FiiO decide that fast transfer speeds and scanning more than 6289 songs are no longer officially supported features of FW 3.0.3? You'd be happy to re-classify your issues as features and then stop asking for them to be fixed?

I didn't say it was a new feature I said it was a feature.  I just feel basic functionality should be addressed first prior to implementing features from the previous firmware.  I'm sure gapless will be brought back eventually as I use it as well.  Not being able to play all your music because the player doesn't recognize its existence renders the X7 useless as a DAP IMHO.

Oct 24, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #14,867 of 18,020
  I did say it was a new feature I said it was a feature.  I just feel basic functionality should be addressed first prior to implementing features from the previous firmware.  I'm sure gapless will be brought back eventually as I use it as well.  Not being able to play all your music because the player doesn't recognize its existence renders the X7 useless as a DAP IMHO.

No it doesn't, because there are very easy work-arounds for your two issues:

1) A couple of minutes of patience.
2) Folder navigation.

Oct 24, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #14,870 of 18,020
Are you transferring your files from a Mac?

Nope.  FW2.0 has no problem scanning all 8900 songs on my sd card.  FW3.03 will only scan 6289 songs then says it's complete.  Another person confirmed this as well.  If I use folder search it see's the rest but won't play them.  I had to go back to FW2.0 but I have my issues with it as well.  Google play services has stopped comes up so much it almost makes my X7 unusable.  I'm pretty patient and hopeful FiiO will get all the bugs and features working soon in the new firmware otherwise I spent $1000 on a expensive paper weight.

Oct 24, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #14,871 of 18,020
Guys, fw2 does not have gapless playback. There is a button for it, and Fiio says it is there, but it does nothing. For my setup no difference between gapless and gapped playback.

Oct 24, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #14,874 of 18,020
  Nope.  FW2.0 has no problem scanning all 8900 songs on my sd card.  FW3.03 will only scan 6289 songs then says it's complete.  Another person confirmed this as well.  If I use folder search it see's the rest but won't play them.  I had to go back to FW2.0 but I have my issues with it as well.  Google play services has stopped comes up so much it almost makes my X7 unusable.  I'm pretty patient and hopeful FiiO will get all the bugs and features working soon in the new firmware otherwise I spent $1000 on a expensive paper weight.

I see. Ok, now I feel you pain. This sounds like a filesystem issue. It may be worth trying a fresh (re)format of your SD card as exFat.

Guys, fw2 does not have gapless playback. There is a button for it, and Fiio says it is there, but it does nothing. For my setup no difference between gapless and gapped playback.

It did work for some people in FW 2.0. It even worked for me once or twice. I found it more successful with smaller files with a lossy codec, i.e., aac or mp3. It never worked for me with 24-bit audio files.

Oct 24, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #14,877 of 18,020
  Once you've gone from track A to track B and heard the gap, try rewinding back to the end of track A and have another go. It sometimes works second time around (probably because some buffer then has the next song already cued up).

In my case it seems to be stuck in gapless playback.  

Edit:  I just turned it off/on several times now it's working correctly.

Oct 24, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #14,878 of 18,020
Question about the modules.

I have X7 + AM2 module and HD600 headphones. AM2 will drive HD600's pretty well, definitely enough power to drive them at the volumes I enjoy.

Last week I ordered HD800S. I've read from Brooko's review that FiiO K5 will handle them pretty well so no worries there for me, K5 will take care of my "desktop" needs. What I'm concerned about is the portability - will AM2 (assuming volume will be equal to the HD600) drive them good enough, sound quality wise? Or swapping to a more powerful amp is a must?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back