FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Feb 3, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #9,002 of 18,020
  Fiio does provide people with the tools needed to do your own amp modules. It is on the first page. 

The DIY in this case isn't quite as DYI as your thinking, DG....

For example, the E12 DIY:
  1. E12DIY can attain 750mW@32Ω, 150mW@300Ω (using OPXXX+BUFXXX combo), satisfying the power requirements of most headphones on the market
  2. Simply use the supplied hex key to unscrew the back cover and pull out the case to access the E12DIY main board. Note: Please turn off the unit and disconnect the USB power connection before opening the unit. Since the nature of the product, this item cannot be covered under manufacturer's warranty, once you open the amplifier unit and switch with amplifier components.
  3. E12DIY comes with 7 high fidelity, ultra-low distortion op-amps and buffers: Including four op-amps: AD8620, AD797, OPA1611, OPA604and three buffers: BUF634, LMH6321, LME49600for a total of 12 different stock sonic configurations.
  4. Users can also use the supplied adapter PCBs to install other op-amps and buffers for infinite variations in sound.
  5. Please double-check for correct orientation of op-amps and adapter PCBs before installing the op-amps and the PCBs onto the main board and re-check after installation. Installation with reversed orientation may destroy op-amps and the E12DIY.

Feb 3, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #9,003 of 18,020
Well I moved on some while back from the X3 first gen down the Astell & Kern route as I realised more and more of my listening was with a DAP as opposed to my home hifi set up.
Then I bought the AK380 and was so disappointed in it that I returned it and bought the QP1R.
Did not regret it as it is a fine sounding player.
However the scroll wheel and the UI left a lot to be desired but the sound helped compensate.
However you cannot delete folders on the fly on the QP1R and I like to listen to albums, search by folders and delete after listening then periodically top up with new albums.
So I recently got the Fiio X7 and haven't they moved on since the X3?
Sound quality is superb, not as dynamic perhaps as the QP1R but better soundstage. (Better than AK380 in my opinion by some distance).
I also, when home, connect to my 7 terabyte  collection on my MAC using Twonky Server and stream flawlessly.
Headphones are Audeze LCD X and Layla but mainly Audeze as the Layla cannot compete.
IEM amp is fine though I look forward to getting the Medium amp when available.
What a great DAP this is.

Feb 3, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #9,004 of 18,020

The DIY in this case isn't quite as DYI as your thinking, DG....

For example, the E12 DIY:
  1. E12DIY can attain 750mW@32Ω, 150mW@300Ω (using OPXXX+BUFXXX combo), satisfying the power requirements of most headphones on the market
  2. Simply use the supplied hex key to unscrew the back cover and pull out the case to access the E12DIY main board. Note: Please turn off the unit and disconnect the USB power connection before opening the unit. Since the nature of the product, this item cannot be covered under manufacturer's warranty, once you open the amplifier unit and switch with amplifier components.
  3. E12DIY comes with 7 high fidelity, ultra-low distortion op-amps and buffers: Including four op-amps: AD8620, AD797, OPA1611, OPA604and three buffers: BUF634, LMH6321, LME49600for a total of 12 different stock sonic configurations.
  4. Users can also use the supplied adapter PCBs to install other op-amps and buffers for infinite variations in sound.
  5. Please double-check for correct orientation of op-amps and adapter PCBs before installing the op-amps and the PCBs onto the main board and re-check after installation. Installation with reversed orientation may destroy op-amps and the E12DIY.

I can totally understand that. 

I am just saying, as Fiio did include the kit for developing a third party module, and will sell it if they like it, some of us, head-fiers should gather, create a prototype of a DIY module, and Fiio will sell it. 

I would do it alone, but designing a circuit board, and a DIY one is rather time consuming, and takes more experience than I have at the moment. But there are people who could design the entire idea, and Fiio would sell it. 

I am also highly interested in a DIY module for X7, as it would fit my bills on modularity. 

BTW, I did not have a chance to listen to a E12DIY, because no unit was ever shipped to Romania, and it would had costed much if it would had came here. How does it sound in general?

Feb 3, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #9,007 of 18,020
  About the delay when works as USB DAC, just confirmed with our engineers that it will be improve in the future. and also there are not any SRC when X7 works as USB DAC. 

Thank you James. Based on my playing around with the X7, it seems like it can output sound with no delay but sometimes there are conditions which cause the delay in sound for some reason.

Were the HD650s actually ok compared to a desktop amp?

Does anyone think the Medium Powered Amp will be able to drive the Audeze EL-8 closed? On the IEM X7 amp, the Audeze EL-8s sound like diarrhea.

I used the IEM amp which is great for Denon/Fostex (low resistance ~30ish ohms).

Yes, the HD650s were quite good with the AM2 medium power amp module. It drove them much better than my Aune T1 desktop amp/DAC combo. The AM2 had much better separation, better controlled bass, and much better soundstage (didn't sound nearly as congested) than the T1.

Feb 3, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #9,008 of 18,020
oh dear. i just did THE thing. i bought an X7. i bought this quite blind, didn't really read this thread. if the X3 and X5 are anything to go off on, than this should be a pretty good player, and, as it runs android, i hope it's easier to modify or find modifications (if desired).

i hope it'll arrive soon, as it has to come from switzerland...

does the X7 fit into the K5 with a case on?

Feb 3, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #9,009 of 18,020
Feb 3, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #9,010 of 18,020
  No, there isn't room for that. 

alright thanks.

and i just ordered a K5 and screen protector too for the player.

being broke never felt so good :p

Feb 3, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #9,011 of 18,020
Damn is the K5 a sexy thing! Seems really well thought out. It would be a dream machine with Bluetooth for the ultimate in connectivity options. Still, really amazing. I'm sure it sounds as good as it looks.

Feb 3, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #9,012 of 18,020
  Damn is the K5 a sexy thing! Seems really well thought out. It would be a dream machine with Bluetooth for the ultimate in connectivity options. Still, really amazing. I'm sure it sounds as good as it looks.

It would not be very advantageous to connect using bluetooth. Because then you would not take full advantage of the DAC of what is docked. 

Feb 3, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #9,013 of 18,020

It would not be very advantageous to connect using bluetooth. Because then you would not take full advantage of the DAC of what is docked. 

I'm more thinking for those who don't have a FiiO player, but I guess you could use the USB input on the back instead. Still, I hate cables so if I could Bluetooth in I might still be tempted, but yes, I see how it could be considered somewhat redundant.

Feb 3, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #9,014 of 18,020
  alright thanks.

and i just ordered a K5 and screen protector too for the player.

being broke never felt so good :p

Well the price of the K5 won't break you too much. :^)

Feb 3, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #9,015 of 18,020
My K5 is on the way from Tinbel Store through Amazon. I can't wait to try it out with my X7 and HD 650! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back