FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Dec 31, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #8,011 of 18,020
2. No internal module can compare with a high quality external amp. It' s not about power. Even with the actual module, dedicated for IEM, listening through LO with Fiio E12A (with any IEM) delivers a higher quality sound. Not mentioning the disapearance of the wifi noise. The only advantage of integrated amp. is portability.
So, a stacking kit would be a plus.
4. Instead of removing the wifi module you can close it in the menu.

So when I used the LO to my E18 it wasn't just my imagination that it sounded even better than normal?

Dec 31, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #8,012 of 18,020
I think the dimensions are not the point here. You've got to listen the X7 through a good external amp. There is a very noticeable improvement. I don't know it is about the 5 mm extra (actualy more like 10 mm), or may be additional battery ..., but the difference is there.

But that's my point. They could incorporate E12 class amp into a module. I'm not saying that the current module is as good as E12, I'm just saying that E12 quality module could be created.

Dec 31, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #8,013 of 18,020
But that's my point. They could incorporate E12 class amp into a module. I'm not saying that the current module is as good as E12, I'm just saying that E12 quality module could be created.

You have a point here. May be the cost would be higher, or the additional dimensions/weight, although not very much different, would raise many voices.

Dec 31, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #8,014 of 18,020
So when I used the LO to my E18 it wasn't just my imagination that it sounded even better than normal?

Every DAP I have (Cayin N6, Fiio X7, X5 ii, IBasso DX90, QLS QA360) benefits from pairing with an external amp. There are subtle or more obvious differences. I can tell you for sure that X7 with E12A makes a greater difference compared with the DAP alone than X5 ii with E12A compared with stock.

Dec 31, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #8,015 of 18,020
Has anyone had problems getting the coax out to work on the X7? I can't seem to get mine to work. 

Dec 31, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #8,017 of 18,020
  It's reassuring and positive to see FiiO looking into this whole WiFi interference noise issue at the moment.  Got an email response from them:

"According to our test, the EMI issue may be a little complex than just the choice of headphones or weak WiFi/ router, ect. And we also found that the EMI is not stable, sometimes it happens, but sometimes it does not on the same X7Our engineers are trying to solve this problem via the different ways."

That is interesting, that would account for the first couple of days on mine and good behavior it exhibited. Ahh well I'm pleased they are trying to sort.

Dec 31, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #8,018 of 18,020

Worked like a charm for me. Loved it. 

You do have to change a setting in the "audio options" (+/-, I don't have the Tour X7 anymore) to explicitly switch it from LineOut to Digital Coax out. 

I have done that and use a coax cable. 

Dec 31, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #8,021 of 18,020
Every DAP I have (Cayin N6, Fiio X7, X5 ii, IBasso DX90, QLS QA360) benefits from pairing with an external amp. There are subtle or more obvious differences. I can tell you for sure that X7 with E12A makes a greater difference compared with the DAP alone than X5 ii with E12A compared with stock.

wouldnt a better amp module instead of the included IEM module be similar to an external amp and offer the same SQ advantage? Or is it mainly because the connection with LO is the reason for better sound. I don't see why they can't make an amp module similar in SQ like E12A.

Dec 31, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #8,023 of 18,020

With this setup you're using the E18 for the amp portion only correct? So X7 was transport and DAC.
Also did you notice the wifi noise went away with the LO to E18?

Dec 31, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #8,024 of 18,020
Is it possible to do a poll on who's keeping vs who's returning their X7? I really like it but 660 is a lot to gamble with.

Dec 31, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #8,025 of 18,020
wouldnt a better amp module instead of the included IEM module be similar to an external amp and offer the same SQ advantage? Or is it mainly because the connection with LO is the reason for better sound. I don't see why they can't make an amp module similar in SQ like E12A.

The medium powered amp module is expected to use the Muses02 opamp (same as the e12A) and I suspect it will sound very similar to the e12A if implemented well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back