FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Dec 29, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #7,771 of 18,020
  Mine came a few days ago. I mostly use Tidal by downloading albums/playlists and listening offline, so I haven't had any WiFi issues.  Startup is pretty slow since I added a 200GB SDXC card (90% full).  Sound is very good, but I really want the balanced amp, since most of my best headphones and IEMs are cabled for balanced.

Still not happy about only one card slot and it would really be nice if Tidal could use the SD card for offline storage, but I will stop bitching now.

If you are willing to use the OTG slot you can add another SD card.

I am running 2 - 200GB SDXC cards with no issues using the Dash Micro - Mini MicroSD Card Reader for Android. These used to be made by Meenova and I used sucessfully with X5 as well. I have used both the old Meenova reader as well as the new Dash model and both work equally well.

The X7 has no issues reading the OTG card reader to the library. I have over 18,000 songs of which about 70% is Flac files. This was great because I didn't have to browse by folder like I had to with X5 using the OTG card reader.

I to am eagerly waiting for the amp options to arrive.

Dec 29, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #7,773 of 18,020
Should've noted my serial number earlier, I've spoken to the UK retailer where I purchased and explained the fault.  I've now sent it back.  

The theory around earphone sensitivity I can't go along with due to some people having the same earphones but not having issues. 

Dec 29, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #7,774 of 18,020
Hmmm, my NB is T333a and I don't have the wifi noise issue (although I do have an issue with the player stopping play while sync'ing tracks via wifi on streaming services).

Maybe Serial number could narrow it down within the batch there might be units with issue and other that don't like mine.

Can you share what earphones including the ohm impedence spec. I'm not sure but my thinking is similar to rzvnz. I think there are many units like this. Maybe they all are the same as it's the design itself. Not everyone stream and those who report no issues it's probably because they are using higher impedence headphones so won't notice this issue.

Dec 29, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #7,775 of 18,020
  Should've noted my serial number earlier, I've spoken to the UK retailer where I purchased and explained the fault.  I've now sent it back.  

The theory around earphone sensitivity I can't go along with due to some people having the same earphones but not having issues. 

GL with the new one, I have to wait until the 4th to speak with someone from where I bought mine, which means I will be in Sweden for 6 months :frowning2:

Oh well, guess I will have to take the packaging with me and post it from there...

Dec 29, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #7,776 of 18,020
Can you share what earphones including the ohm impedence spec. I'm not sure but my thinking is similar to rzvnz. I think there are many units like this. Maybe they all are the same as it's the design itself. Not everyone stream and those who report no issues it's probably because they are using higher impedence headphones so won't notice this issue.

Actually I was the one who raised the possibility that impedance does come into play :p
My IEMs are Earsonics S-EM9 just under 40 ohms, and Z7 is 70 ohms.

Dec 29, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #7,778 of 18,020

GL with the new one, I have to wait until the 4th to speak with someone from where I bought mine, which means I will be in Sweden for 6 months :frowning2:

Oh well, guess I will have to take the packaging with me and post it from there...

I've decided to go with a refund.  Will look at the X7 in future weeks/months once I know WiFi issues are settled.  Didn't fancy the slim chance of waiting for replacement model then having to send that back if had same issues.  Now I know this is highly unlikely but if a retailer has a few dud models(not their fault) then I don't want to be the guinea pig!

Dec 29, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #7,780 of 18,020

That's why I'm asking others to include what headphones in their posts so we can diagnose the exact cause. I'm not aware of ppl having the same earphones and differing results except for one posts. That one particular one might have other issues masking the results. I do agree that we shouldn't have to change earphones/ headphones to make the X7 work while streaming. There should at least be a warnings or disclaimer on packaging so consumers can Make their purchasing decision.

Dec 29, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #7,782 of 18,020
I have checked the display item at my authorised retailer today. It have the same noise issue.

By chance while you were there, you get the opportunity to test that problem unit with higher impedence headphones to see if the issue sticks or disappears?

Dec 29, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #7,783 of 18,020
  mmm.....Fiio X7 has arrived today in my neck of the woods but backreading this thread's early adopters posts:  not what I wanted to read.   :frowning2:

I am not sure what exactly you are reading :) ... Maybe you are referring to the unfortunate few that have WiFi interference.
According to me it's a pretty sweet sounding unit with a lot of desirable features (of course YMMV). I've been comparing it with the QP1R for the last few days, they are both still in the race, but Tidal streaming could end up being the clincher for X7 (again for my needs).

My only gripe, is that I can't figure out how to get Tidal to store offline files on the SD Card.

Dec 29, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #7,784 of 18,020
Guys I made many, many DAC's and headphone amplifiers.
I can disassemble my X7 to check this out.
Maybe there is some hardware related issues that are easy to solve (for me ofc).

If I find something then I'll post it without any problem to help FiiO and other X7 owners (and future customers too).
Are you with me? Or maybe you just don't care :wink: ?

Dec 29, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #7,785 of 18,020
I am not sure what exactly you are reading :) ... Maybe you are referring to the unfortunate few that have WiFi interference.
According to me it's a pretty sweet sounding unit with a lot of desirable features (of course YMMV). I've been comparing it with the QP1R for the last few days, they are both still in the race, but Tidal streaming could end up being the clincher for X7 (again for my needs).

My only gripe, is that I can't figure out how to get Tidal to store offline files on the SD Card.

I don't think you'll get Tidal to use the SD card until FiiO update to Android 5. It's a known issue for Android 4.x, with some apps able to access the external storage (like Spotify) and others unable to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back