FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Sep 21, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #5,012 of 18,020
Demo available: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gjbn3p8NW88&feature=youtu.be&a

Sep 21, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #5,013 of 18,020
Really disappointed with the internal flash and microsdxc configuration. 32GB internal is really lame with only one slot.

Other DAPs that I own:

AK Jr.                   64GB + 1 slot
Sony A17              64GB + 1 slot
AK100                  32GB + 2 slots
AK120 Titan          128GB + 2 slots
Cowon Plenue P1  128GB + 1 slot
Cayin N5               2 slots
AK240                  256GB + 1 slot
AK120 II               128GB + 1 slot
Fiio X5                  2 slots
Fiio X5 II               2 slots

The X7's 32GB + 1 slot leaves it in the storage slums with DX50, DX90, X3 II, X1

I will pass on this one.

Sep 21, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #5,015 of 18,020
This puzzles me, even though I am guilty of exactly the same reaction, why do we need so much music with us at any one time?

I have 200gb of music in my player right now, haha, what would we have been like in the good old days when we only had discmen, or shudder the thought, walkmen, and you had CDs and tapes to lug around.

Sep 21, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #5,016 of 18,020
This puzzles me, even though I am guilty of exactly the same reaction, why do we need so much music with us at any one time?

I have 200gb of music in my player right now, haha, what would we have been like in the good old days when we only had discmen, or shudder the thought, walkmen, and you had CDs and tapes to lug around.

100% agree.  Adding additional hard drive space on a device like this I bet is pretty expensive.  I mean how much music do you honestly need?  128GB whether you have DSD or FLAC should be enough in my opinion.  Don't get me wrong the Fiio X5II has 2 micro SDXC slots but really why do you need that much music on one device.

Sep 21, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #5,017 of 18,020
FiiO shrewdly makes differing players of varying sizes and prices.  They’ve offered budget DAPs like the X1 and midrange such as the X3, both tailored for portability… and the X5 series provides more breadth with its capabilities to store some of our voluminous music libraries.  The X7 doesn’t seem designed to replace that former flagship unit, but enter into new realms and encompass streaming media that the rest of the world traffics in.  I’ll certainly get one, but it won’t replace my X5 or any other mass storage DAP I own… mainly because it didn’t seem incepted to replace them, just further complement FiiO’s line of DAPs.

Sep 21, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #5,018 of 18,020
Yes. 32GB + 128GB is enough to have a good selection on-hand. Could we use more? Absolutely. But it's not necessary. Even more so when you consider how easy it is to carry spare microSD cards wherever you go. You could have a TB worth of music in your pocket without even noticing the weight. :)

Sep 21, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #5,019 of 18,020
Yes. 32GB + 128GB is enough to have a good selection on-hand. Could we use more? Absolutely. But it's not necessary. Even more so when you consider how easy it is to carry spare microSD cards wherever you go. You could have a TB worth of music in your pocket without even noticing the weight.
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree with you. They have 200gb mSD cards now and soon will have 512gb cards likely. Even 232gbs in a player should be suitable for a days listening, I think we may be a bit greedy with storage.

Sep 21, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #5,020 of 18,020
I am obviously is a minority of liking smaller memory - eg 32g or even 16g, I can't listen for 
more than a couple of hours a day so the choice of "only" 50 LPs to chose from is enough.

Plus it makes me listen to new music and stuff I have not heard for a long time.

My ripped CDs/Hi Res Flacs and Needledrops are nearing 4 TB now, and only just started doing LPs
so I'll wait for the 8tb card!

Sep 21, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #5,021 of 18,020

With wifi-enabled DAPs, you can have all your collection on a portable wi-fi hard disk and stream anywhere.

http://www.colourmylearning.com/2013/12/top-5-wireless-portable-hard-drives/

Even nerf'd android player like the newer AK's, can detect these are UPNP server.

Sep 21, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #5,022 of 18,020
I agree with you. They have 200gb mSD cards now and soon will have 512gb cards likely. Even 232gbs in a player should be suitable for a days listening, I think we may be a bit greedy with storage.
I don't think it's being greedy. Realistically pretty soon as storage size continues to increase the days of having to carry around memory cards will be a thing of the past. My personal library is over 3 TB now, which would be about 15 expensive 200GB cards to carry my full library with me. Who wants to spend that much or carry that much especially when we've been spoiled by apps like TIDAL or Spotify which allow us to carry around like 25 million tracks essentially

Sep 21, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #5,024 of 18,020
I don't think it's being greedy. Realistically pretty soon as storage size continues to increase the days of having to carry around memory cards will be a thing of the past. My personal library is over 3 TB now, which would be about 15 expensive 200GB cards to carry my full library with me. Who wants to spend that much or carry that much especially when we've been spoiled by apps like TIDAL or Spotify which allow us to carry around like 25 million tracks essentially

That's why I like Tidal so much, I use it with my iPod Touch and HA2 everyday and love the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back