FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Mar 15, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #2,941 of 18,020
Sorry, got to disagree.
I want a DAP for streaming services such as Spotify/TIDAL, but what many non streaming service users often forget is that music can be downloaded to offline playlists, qnd this is how I use them.

The adventages are that you aren't reliant on cell coverage, or wi-fi availibility, and dont use as much battery.

The more storage there is on a device, the better use we can make of streaming services.
Wi-fi would only be switched on while downloading new tracks.

I currently use a 64G card in my cellphone, which is just about adequate (for me) for Spotify, but I'd like to keep expanding my 'collection', and also switch to a lossless service such as TIDAL or Quobuz.
That will require much more room, so a second slot will be very attractive to this (and i suspect many other) streaming service customers.

I couldnt agree more +1

Mar 15, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #2,942 of 18,020
Sorry, got to disagree.
I want a DAP for streaming services such as Spotify/TIDAL, but what many non streaming service users often forget is that music can be downloaded to offline playlists, qnd this is how I use them.

The adventages are that you aren't reliant on cell coverage, or wi-fi availibility, and dont use as much battery.

The more storage there is on a device, the better use we can make of streaming services.
Wi-fi would only be switched on while downloading new tracks.

I currently use a 64G card in my cellphone, which is just about adequate (for me) for Spotify, but I'd like to keep expanding my 'collection', and also switch to a lossless service such as TIDAL or Quobuz.
That will require much more room, so a second slot will be very attractive to this (and i suspect many other) streaming service customers.

And congrats you completely missed my point. Fiio already said was an either/or situation. Two slots means no wifi. Alternative is one slot and wifi (which they've gone with). End result - everyone at least partly satisfied.

Mar 15, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #2,943 of 18,020
And congrats you completely missed my point. Fiio already said was an either/or situation. Two slots means no wifi. Alternative is one slot and wifi (which they've gone with). End result - everyone at least partly satisfied.

Fiio did not say 2 slots means no wi-fi, just that it would make the wi-fi feature consume more power, due to the different SoC configuration.

1, About the storage, the initial design is includes 2 Micro SD card slot. but now  change to one cause the Soc has limited I/O pin,  so if we design 2 Micro SD card slot. the WiFi module will have to connect to the Soc by SPI mode which will consume more power. 

Also the X7 will includes 32g build in memory and we may release a 64g model in the future. BTW, I think there will have 256g Micro SD card in 2015.

2, About the size , we need to balance the SQ and the size. there will always different opinion about it.  and we don't want to make a big and heavy DAP.

I has explained the reason before, but I will like to do it again.

The hardware resource of the Soc (RK3188) is limited , there are only few SPI pin which used to connect to some hardware like the WiFi module, TF module and bluetooth module, and such etc. 

you don't need to know all the detail but the situation is 

opition A, two MicroSD slot and the WiFi module connects to the GPIO, which means we have to disable the WiFi when it is not active . ortherwise the WiFi module will consume a lots of power.

option B, one MircroSD slot and the WiFi model connects to the SPI pin, the SPI will automatic handle the power so it can save the battery .

So,  it is not we don't willing to provide two MicroSD slot, it is just we can't. 

So, even in the worst case scenario, 2x microSD and Wi-fi are still possible for James to implement in the X7, as long as users don't mind using the Wi-fi only for shorter periods of time.

Mar 15, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #2,944 of 18,020

The hardware resource of the Soc (RK3188) is limited , there are only few SPI pin which used to connect ot some hardware like the WiFi module, TF module and bluetooth modle, and such etc. 

opition A, two MicroSD slot and the WiFi module connects to the GPIO, which means we have to disable the WiFi when it is not active . ortherwise the WiFi module will consume a lots of power.

option B, one MircroSD slot and the WiFi model connects to the SPI pin, the SPI will automatic handle the power so it can save the battery .

So,  it is not we don't willing to provide two MicroSD slot, it is just we can't. 

Seems rather contradictory to say it's possible, then to say that "it is just we can't"

I say again, that if "option A" is in deed an option, then that is where my vote goes.

Mar 15, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #2,946 of 18,020

One X7 with IEM amp module, and balanced amp , high power amp. I think only few user will buy balanced amp/high power amp module. 

I think it will be opposite... same like with HM901 it was (is!), everyone gets "upgrade" right away and never use default amp card :wink: Its all about to have all "best" and not wondering "should i buy upgraded amp card??".

Mar 15, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #2,947 of 18,020
We all know it's pretty-much a 'done deal', but, considering that this topic just won't drop, then maybe it really is worthy of James and his team seriously reconsidering the possibility of 2 x microSD card slots. I am acutely aware that it is now very late in the development cycle, but the situation is what it is...

Considering how many people feel so strongly about it, I wonder why James doesn't put it to a vote (not just here, but on Chinese forums, too), and see what feedback he gets.

At the end of the day, surely it is in everyone's best interests for the X7 to please the maximum number of people and therefore make the maximum number of sales.

It seems to me that maximising wi-fi efficiency, at the expense of storage capacity will probably please maybe 20-25% of potential X7 customers, whereas maximising storage capacity at the expense of wi-fi efficiency would probably please 75-80% of potential X7 customers.

I for one am relaxed about the situation, because I have other options if the X7 is released with only 1 card slot (probably Questyle QP1 Pro, for me), so I'm not saying any of the above by way of some personal crusade. I'm simply observing that it has consistently continued to be a hot topic for several months, and still is being overruled by James. Perhaps that overruling is short-sighted?

It doesn't personally hurt me one bit if X7 sales are less than they could have been, and James, you already know I wish your company well.   <SHRUGS>

Mar 15, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #2,948 of 18,020
Maybe with option a the battery drain is too much, rendering device useless after a couple of hours? I'm not sure how many people actually download their streaming, I never knew you could until recently, maybe that's the bigger issue. Otherwise, I don't see why option a couldn't be used.

Mar 15, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #2,949 of 18,020
  We all know it's pretty-much a 'done deal', but, considering that this topic just won't drop, then maybe it really is worthy of James and his team seriously reconsidering the possibility of 2 x microSD card slots. I am acutely aware that it is now very late in the development cycle, but the situation is what it is...

Considering how many people feel so strongly about it, I wonder why James doesn't put it to a vote (not just here, but on Chinese forums, too), and see what feedback he gets.

At the end of the day, surely it is in everyone's best interests for the X7 to please the maximum number of people and therefore make the maximum number of sales.

It seems to me that maximising wi-fi efficiency, at the expense of storage capacity will probably please maybe 20-25% of potential X7 customers, whereas maximising storage capacity at the expense of wi-fi efficiency would probably please 75-80% of potential X7 customers.

I for one am relaxed about the situation, because I have other options if the X7 is released with only 1 card slot (probably Questyle QP1 Pro, for me), so I'm not saying any of the above by way of some personal crusade. I'm simply observing that it has consistently continued to be a hot topic for several months, and still is being overruled by James. Perhaps that overruling is short-sighted?

It doesn't personally hurt me one bit if X7 sales are less than they could have been, and James, you already know I wish your company well.   <SHRUGS>

Design is final. Period :)

I could request AD1866 R2R chip in it as well.... but its sabre now :wink: Its finished. I think one sd is quite enough, lets be honest, 256GB for music is quite a lot of space - i dont mind two sdcards but if it will cost cutting wifi out ... well, i prefer then single one. The online streaming is actually important - 21st century is now.

Mar 15, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #2,951 of 18,020

The hardware resource of the Soc (RK3188) is limited , there are only few SPI pin which used to connect ot some hardware like the WiFi module, TF module and bluetooth modle, and such etc. 

Opt for Option B, I have an X5 and rarely use the 2nd slot if ever, having one slot plus internal mem should be more than enough. If you could make the Wi-Fi module with the option to turn it on/off that would mitigate some of the power problems. I am not certainly planning to use it that much except when at home which it'll be connected to a wall charger or at least charged regularly.

If you skip Bluetooth, I don't think I'll shed any tears.
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #2,952 of 18,020
I see. So they're using a Rockchip SoC because anything better would be too costly. Smart. But apparently it also has the negative side effect of artificially limiting their options somewhat. There's probably a hardware/firmware issue that's hardwired into the SoC or the additional hardware needed to run it that prevents the implementation of a feature that allows you to toggle WiFi on and off. It's probably not TOO expensive to just throw in another micro SD slot, it's a limitation of the microarchitectures and PCBs they're working with. Well, I'd say that's kinda good news, actually. Given that ARM SoC tech is advancing at Sonic the Hedgehog speeds, by the time they make an X7 II, or an X9, it's likely they'll have better hardware (Such as Rockchip's own new RK3368.) that's just as cost-effective available, meaning they might be able to please all crowds then.

Mar 15, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #2,953 of 18,020
Unsubbed. This ongoing discussion has become both pedantic and pointless.

Mar 15, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #2,954 of 18,020
the discussion is becoming kind of old, but if we manage to get x7 with dual microsd slots, then i think that it is worth it.

I am wondering another thing..

as long as we can toggle wifi on and off, why is there a concern of how much does wifi consume? 

Also, this can be a little too late, but to remind everyone why we are insisting on the discussion. X7 is going to be better than x5 in SQ, so this means a LOT. X5 is already one of the best devices ever made, if x7 is even better, i feel totalle reasoned to insist that i might love more space. Then i remind myself that i barely filled the 2X64gb cards i have in x5, i kind of have 10 gb left on one, and i feel like i can live with 128gb internal and 128 microsd. 

But i really need to be able to turn wifi off. this is a must. Except for my bedroom and a few meters about 6 meters around the house i don't have wifi access. mcdanalds, kfc and other open wifi do not have enough bandwidth for me to be able to stream music, so less batterry if wifi is on seems reasonable, depending on how bad the situation is. 

I can really live with one microsd slot if i have 128 gb internal, it would have been more fun if i would had 2 slots, but then i would have to choose between 3 storage locations, and this is a LOT of pain for me. so if it is 128 gb internal, i guess that 128 + 200 equals 328 gb of portable music. I will absolutley never use streaming, because it is paid for, and i do not know any free services that have indexed the bands i listen to.

Anyways, keep you head up, i am sure that it will please everybody, and it will be for the best, and the final device is going to be awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back