FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Mar 14, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #2,911 of 18,020
I think FiiO will realize the very best for the money we will pay. And more than that we can't expect.
Miracles will need more time and they will come not from FiiO.

Inbetween we can live with option A. :wink:

Mar 14, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #2,912 of 18,020
Option A vote.

Mar 14, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #2,913 of 18,020
One big thing you forget guys (I presonally dont need that much wifi but bluetooth is a must).

Wifi is important on android devices to install apps and use wifi for it. Also remember that MILIONS of people will want music online enabled apps. For some of you it may not be a big deal but it will be a big deal for others - I wanna state again: I dont care that much about wifi perasonally BUT one slot is enough I think for sd cards... 256GB card is being released soon (this year).

Mar 14, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #2,914 of 18,020
James, it will be silly question but I wanna ask, will the operating system serve audio driver access for all apps? What I mean is if I decide to use different audio app (jetaudio or rockbox) will it work with same quality? With old DX100 OS famous problem was that audio drivers were not put on global scope of system and other apps were connecting to dac indirectly (downgrading signal), so only the ibasso player could take full advantage of the DAC.

Mar 14, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #2,915 of 18,020
Option A FTW 
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 14, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #2,918 of 18,020
I has explained the reason before, but I will like to do it again.

The hardware resource of the Soc (RK3188) is limited , there are only few SPI pin which used to connect ot some hardware like the WiFi module, TF module and bluetooth modle, and such etc. 

you don't need to know all the detail but the situation is 

opition A, two MicroSD slot and the WiFi module connects to the GPIO, which means we have to disable the WiFi when it is not active . ortherwise the WiFi module will consume a lots of power.

option B, one MircroSD slot and the WiFi model connects to the SPI pin, the SPI will automatic handle the power so it can save the battery .

So,  it is not we don't willing to provide two MicroSD slot, it is just we can't. 
on a music player we ony use WiFi at home. On the road we listen to downloaded music from our favorite streaming providor in my case WIMP.

Mar 14, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #2,919 of 18,020
James has noted in this thread that the X7 is not competing with the AK240, or Hugo, etc.. I'd be cautious about making these statements until the unit is actually released, though we can be optimistic. Personally I doubt it will compete with the Hugo against the Hugo's strengths. I'm waiting to see about the others.

I never mentioned the Hugo. I haven't heard it for myself. I HAVE, however, heard the AK240 and my impression was that if the X5 was improved some, it'd be about on par with it or at least very close. Because let's face it: It's already a VERY good-sounding DAP.

Mar 14, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #2,920 of 18,020
James has noted in this thread that the X7 is not competing with the AK240, or Hugo, etc.. I'd be cautious about making these statements until the unit is actually released, though we can be optimistic. Personally I doubt it will compete with the Hugo against the Hugo's strengths. I'm waiting to see about the others.

I never mentioned the Hugo. I haven't heard it for myself. I HAVE, however, heard the AK240 and my impression was that if the X5 was improved some, it'd be about on par with it or at least very close. Because let's face it: It's already a VERY good-sounding DAP.

+1! the X5 is a great DAP and FiiO is great on making sure that with updates it only gets better.

Mar 14, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #2,923 of 18,020
I really want a player that supports spotify and TIDAL. im fine with 1 SD card slot. larger storage comes out all the time anyways. 

although if the only downside to having 2 slots is wifi power drain then keep it plugged in. When youre out you cant stream with wifi anyways unless your in a country with free wifi everywhere

Mar 14, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #2,924 of 18,020
For me option A.

And I have a question because I'm kinda nooby in electronics. Browsing XYZ forum I've read that it's bad idea to put full size 9018 to portable players and option with 2x 9018 k2m is better solution. It's because full size 9018 requires something something that I'm not able to translate properly (about voltage requirement etc). Full size 9018 is designed for desktop dacs which was the reason ESS have made 9018 k2m for portable devices. I heard that cons of application full size 9018 are much bigger than potential pros of this solution.

I know that this dac was placed succesfully before in players such as dx100 but comparing pcbs

X7
http://cdn.head-fi.org/b/b1/900x900px-LL-b1b9faff_20141117_104642.jpeg

DX100
http://img.tapatalk.com/3c8f8660-f96a-1671.jpg

DX100 is much like desktop dac in minature case while Fiio is still rather a portable device. Can you guys say something about this? my english sucks

Edit: Do you know some specs about battery voltage in Fiio?
In IBasso it's 8.4V, I'm not Shure about HM-901 but I think also 8,4V

Mar 14, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #2,925 of 18,020
i'm wondering how many versions or SKUs X7 would have at launch. just 1 SKU with normal amp module or a few SKUs with different amp modules?

Personally, I feel it would be best to supply the X7 with no included module, and for the retailer to sell a customer whatever module they choose, as a bundle deal with the bare DAP, but James discussed this a couple of weeks ago, and seemed to be quite clearly implying that it will be just one SKU (standard amp module included in the DAP package), with other amp modules being very affordable, so as not to cause a big problem for people who don't need to use the standard supplied module. I predict hundreds (maybe thousands) of X7 standard amp modules lying unused in the box, and loads of classified ads trying to sell them.

Not good for customers.
Not good for the environment.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/713735/x7-the-flagship-dap-from-fiio-updated-on-15-12-2014/2505#post_11247737

http://www.head-fi.org/t/713735/x7-the-flagship-dap-from-fiio-updated-on-15-12-2014/2490#post_11244968

Users who are viewing this thread

Back