FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Mar 6, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #2,868 of 18,020
  Well, Pio, you can't explain colour (useless) to the blind.  So don't try.   Close your shallow eyes, shut up and listen.

Or you listen :wink:

More quality & features = better. The X7 design is awesome and something that is not there yet, some may thing that some features are not that necessary but I bet that it wont stop you from buying it! OLED screen is also a huge battery saver, I cant understand why no one can see that :wink: If you dont like extra features... go for hifiman or ibasso, they are less featured and even cheaper.

Mar 6, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #2,871 of 18,020

My appologies W71.  Shoulda taken it off line or just dropped it.  I mean what I said, and stand by it.  But Next time-and there will be one-I'll just PM him.

Listen to eminem much? 

for the thread :

the only thing i could really care about are size [i want it not too big] battery, some build quality, microsd slots, and of course, SQ!

I can really give up on all the other factors if that is for SQ. Or almost. 

I had read in some reviews that some hifiman models used to stop if you would had walked with it in your pockets, this is far too incovenient. But i can give up a LOT of everything else for SQ. this is the only aspect that i really care on a DAP. 

Mar 12, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #2,873 of 18,020
"Don't worry too much about Price ($ 1000-1200 would be best)."

Hey man, are you talking about FiiO Products and Market "Niche" or are you referring yourself to something like FiiO & Kern? 
beyersmile.png

Mar 12, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #2,875 of 18,020
  "Don't worry too much about Price ($ 1000-1200 would be best)."

Hey man, are you talking about FiiO Products and Market "Niche" or are you referring yourself to something like FiiO & Kern? 
beyersmile.png

that maybe  a good idea , haha, Fiio&Kern!

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 13, 2015 at 4:42 AM Post #2,878 of 18,020
If I may? I think people here are confusing each other AND the FiiO reps. The audiophile purists here want something that has good sound quality, reasonable battery life, a no-B.S. control scheme that's easy to use, and lots of storage capacity. The wifi support also has its uses so I can get onboard with that even if it's entirely useless to me. But I see some commenters here who want more than that. The fancy OLED screen is a nice touch but it isn't essential for a music player. Some people are asking for the audiophile equivalent of the Panasonic CM-1 smartphone, and I really think that's a mistake. FiiO is known for two things: Value, and USEFUL features, with value ultimately taking precedence.

The feature suggestions from the "bling" crowd are nice to have, don't get me wrong. But they ARE in conflict with what FiiO sells on MORE, and that's doing most of the same things as their competitors better or almost as well while offering very competitive pricing. And they're DAMN good at it, too. I remember checking prices on DAPs like the AK 100 after the X5 came out in the States and laughing my ass off at how prices dropped almost overnight. FiiO is EXTREMELY disruptive. They caused a price-slashing panic with the X5 reminiscent of what happens every time a GPU manufacturer in the PC gaming market cranks out a new line based on a new architecture, or when Samsung rolled out its 3D NAND-based 850 SSD series recently. (Fingers crossed that Project Ara will do the same to the smartphone market soon.) Value is better when you look at the big picture since it helps all of us. The creative arts markets, including the audiophile markets, I'm finding, are full of HORRIFICALLY overpriced products. They're stagnant. They're growing at a slower pace than they could. So they need to be shaken up in a big way, which is why I heartily approve of companies like FiiO and Cayin.

So here's my proposed solution to this conflict of interest between audio purists and the people who want FiiO to go all-out: Save it for the X9. Or the X11. OR go with the recommendations for a "Pro" and a "Pure" model. Namely, for the audiophile purists out there who just want storage space, the most important audio-specific features, and of course high-quality sound, there should be a product which offers that at a nice sub-industry-standard pricetag like the 700 dollar target the X7 is presumably still meant to hit. An X7+/X8 (Enhanced version of the barebones model.), or an X9 (The features come standard with the player the next step up. Presumably the dual-9018 model suggested by Piotrekfronc.) with additional features like a better screen, processor, maybe even smartphone functionality and specs, should be reserved for a higher pricetag.

Plus that, too, would be a good business move because it allows FiiO to expand its markets, the main reason for THEM to want to add more features. It's what Apple did, and as much I loathe said company, they ARE a successful business for a reason. They had an iPod, and they had an iPhone, and eventually an iPad. And all was good for them. If FiiO did the same thing, minus the absurd pricing schemes (Which, of course, should be NO problem for THEM), they'd probably sell like hotcakes. The X1 is making waves for being basically an uber-iPod Classic/Sansa Fuze with the best features from both while offering better sound quality at a mere 100 dollar pricetag. Indeed, were I not in China with early access to the X5 at a lower pricetag than it is in the West, I may instead be using an X1 today, because it's what I've been missing since my Fuze broke on me a few years ago. Same controls and features but better. Newer. Then again, I had a (Cue horror theme.) Xonar Phoebus before this (Hey, it was a lot cheaper than normal on Jingdong!), and the X5 does a better job of driving my K702s. (Yes, I admit it. I'm a PC gamer who relies on good audio for competitive gaming, not an audiophile. Be gentle.) So I guess it all worked out in the end.

P.S.: By the way, I thought I'd also give a shout-out to FiiO. I'm quite happy with FiiO on the customer service side. I got unlucky and picked up an X5 with a faulty scroll wheel, from one of the earliest batches. I was unable to verify the serial number with them and there was a chance it was out of warranty, but they accepted the DAP for RMA anyway, free of charge, since it was LIKELY still in warranty. Thanks, guys. You have no idea how rare that is these days. Finding companies that aren't regulation-worshiping martinets about repairs and returns is difficult. (Mainboard manufacturers and bent pins, anyone?) Another reason I like smaller companies that keep in touch with their customers.

Mar 13, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #2,880 of 18,020
What gets my goat is when dual DACs are requested when it's completely unnecessary with the DAC model chosen. Or, as mentioned, requests are made for OLED as a priority. Or amps that can drive the HE-6 but then requests for longer battery life come in the next sentence. If there is a basic lack of tech knowledge then the requests should not include the mentioned tech. My mind is blown with how many people blindly follow the marketing of today's companies and then think that is the end all be all to a device [shakes head].

Apologies, frustrated with this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back