FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Dec 29, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #1,982 of 18,020
  There are many ways to design and use aluminum and frankly, it can hold up quite well. Magnesium can be difficult to work with and often there is a high rejection rate form the molding. 

Would be awesome to have "premium" version for some deeper pockets with magnesium... how much more would it cost? 100 pounds? 150? 200? more? Its just one of those small things that make everyone crazy about (look at iphone users...).

Even if aluminium is used, the more sophisticated finish than "brushed" metal would be a big improvement. That brushed surface (no offence here) just looks not very "pro", it is all "shiny" and...looks like xmass tree but not really good, I would say even a bit "cheap" looking.

For magnesium build option I would more than happy to pay EXTRA EXTRA.

Maybe extra X7 Pro version? The high rejection rate can be hidden in the price... :wink: I know it would be more difficult, but extra quality can be covered by extra money.

Aluminium is easy to bend and always has worse finish due to its nature. If really really aluminium is only option... maybe then some nice sanded finish (like iphone 6?). Still, no aluminium finish goes near magnesium...

Dec 29, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #1,983 of 18,020

Would be awesome to have "premium" version for some deeper pockets with magnesium... how much more would it cost? 100 pounds? 150? 200? more? Its just one of those small things that make everyone crazy about (look at iphone users...).

Even if aluminium is used, the more sophisticated finish than "brushed" metal would be a big improvement. That brushed surface (no offence here) just looks not very "pro", it is all "shiny" and...looks like xmass tree but not really good, I would say even a bit "cheap" looking.

For magnesium build option I would more than happy to pay EXTRA EXTRA.

Maybe extra X7 Pro version? The high rejection rate can be hidden in the price... :wink: I know it would be more difficult, but extra quality can be covered by extra money.

Aluminium is easy to bend and always has worse finish due to its nature. If really really aluminium is only option... maybe then some nice sanded finish (like iphone 6?). Still, no aluminium finish goes near magnesium...

There are many different grades of aluminum. Some can be fairly hard and structurally stronger. 

Dec 29, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #1,984 of 18,020
hi all,

since no one replied to my post #1907, does anyone currently in the thread know if bluetooth design aspects were discussed at any length earlier?

a direct link would be ideal, but even something like "yea, bluetooth was discussed thoroughly around post #800" or something would be helpful...or even "yes it was previously discussed"

thanks in advance.

Dec 29, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #1,985 of 18,020

There are many different grades of aluminum. Some can be fairly hard and structurally stronger. 

Hmm, then would love to see some pro examples of the finish, just that brushed with those shiny sharp edges does not look good...

The edges should be very smoothly rounded (not round = but rounded edges) still holding strictly cube shape. Hopefully scratch resistant (matte finish is good with that).

Logo should be similar to hm901 way, the mirrored brushed metal  placed at bottom left just much smaller (and not too large, it doesnt have to "shout" its fiio, everyone will push to figure out who  made it if quality is top notch). The volume knob (if there is knob) should NOT follow that AK100/AK120 style, they just go too fancy. Its like with LV bags, they are wanted not because they are so fancy (they are not in fact) but because are finished without compromise to tiny detail.

Dec 29, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #1,986 of 18,020
  hi all,

since no one replied to my post #1907, does anyone currently in the thread know if bluetooth design aspects were discussed at any length earlier?

a direct link would be ideal, but even something like "yea, bluetooth was discussed thoroughly around post #800" or something would be helpful...or even "yes it was previously discussed"

thanks in advance.

From what i remember, bluetooth will be included and I would be very very sad if bluetooth was removed. It is important as i like to use media remote via bluetooth. Also car players support bluetooth now.

Dec 29, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #1,987 of 18,020
Having owned the X5 for over 6 months+, I have so much enjoyed the superb sq, esp. With my newly acquired Noble K10, which really showed off what the X5 is really capable of.
Intending this remark esp. To you, James, My only disappointment is with the break-up, sibilence and resolution-crushing distortion I hear during loud orchestral passages, esp. With piccolos flutes, choral high notes and tuttis.
I haven't heard, myself, a player that is at least good in this regard. All fail to measure up in the high frequency loud musical passages.
Head-fiers,i'd really like to hear your comments about this high frequency distortion plaguing me!
I have read a number of times that the Cayin n6 gives a very clean, accurate and good sounding presentation of the highs.
So,I beg you, James, tame this problem in the X7 because I want to give a deserving company like yours my business again. You see, of all the reasons for wanting the X7, a clean, musical high end is way at the tippy-top of what I demand in my next player. After that, I prefer the proposed appearance you're suggesting, which I rather like and the amp module idea, rather than the appearance,though unique, of the Cayin N6.

That sounds more like a full sized headphone problem or could be an issue with your particular unit as my CIEM breases right through loud passages with minimal issue playing through the X5. The K10 sounds outstanding as well with my X5 with minimal issues. Do you know anyone else local to you with an X5 that can allow you to compare them?

All daps that I have heard have an issue with compression in loud passages without the assistance of an external amp and sometimes with, but this isn't distortion - rather a collapsing sound stage. The X5  has an intimate sound stage so these type of passages affect the X5 more than the DX90 or AK100 II, but they sound congested as well with loud passages. The more power required by the headphone the more the affect in my experience, hence the full sized headphone issue reference.

The best sound stage I have heard to date is my AK100 II boosted with my BH2 external amp which is outstanding. However, I love the intimate sound stage and texturing of the X5 so I keep going back.

Dec 29, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #1,988 of 18,020
thanks Pio, i figured BT would be in there based on James' 1st posts...but i remain eager for some bluetooth multiplexing, i hate using just one BT speaker in outdoor situations like the beach, and the only BT speakers out now that come pre-configured for linking as a stereo pair are all itty-bitty and bereft of any bass at all.

worse, the BT multiplexers currently sold are all geared for motorcycles or signal-cloning...none i know of allow one to split left and right audio signals to separate speakers.

Dec 29, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #1,989 of 18,020
That sounds more like a full sized headphone problem or could be an issue with your particular unit as my CIEM breases right through loud passages with minimal issue playing through the X5. The K10 sounds outstanding as well with my X5 with minimal issues. Do you know anyone else local to you with an X5 that can allow you to compare them?

All daps that I have heard have an issue with compression in loud passages without the assistance of an external amp and sometimes with, but this isn't distortion - rather a collapsing sound stage. The X5  has an intimate sound stage so these type of passages affect the X5 more than the DX90 or AK100 II, but they sound congested as well with loud passages. The more power required by the headphone the more the affect in my experience, hence the full sized headphone issue reference.

The best sound stage I have heard to date is my AK100 II boosted with my BH2 external amp which is outstanding. However, I love the intimate sound stage and texturing of the X5 so I keep going back.

Dec 29, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #1,990 of 18,020

The K10 is the only phone I use and it's pretty easy to drive, I think. Collapsing soundstage is part of it, but I do hear sound breakup too. Sometimes though, I don't hear breakup or soundstage collapse, so it may be that the orchestra itself is playing louder than the hall can take. I've even heard this at live concerts!
I actually think it very difficult to capture loud passages at the present level of technology, but there are many factors involved.
Appreciate your comments, Brian

Dec 29, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #1,991 of 18,020
  Yep... I guess someone tries to let the disgusting cheapo-looking like brushed aluminium to be the finish.

It is really looking so bad im put off from buying it :[

Seriously, its just cheap crappy finish, making happy 3-years old...

You're entitled to your opinion, but I'm surprised you feel quite as strongly as you do, about brushed aluminium. After all, many DAPs are made from cheap plastic.

Please understand that I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you; I'm just saying I'm surprised you feel so strongly about brushed aluminium being 'bad'.

Ironically, the Nikon pic you posted is of a painted metal finish.

By the way, the pic James has posted of the brushed-aluminium amp module is only a development item, not a finalised production item, so the final production item may be much nicer.

Dec 29, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #1,992 of 18,020
Regarding the complaints about degrading SQ on the X5, it's not really ideal to keep discussing it here in the X7 thread (although it was raised legitimately), but can I just ask - is the SQ degradation occurring whilst the EQ is invoked?

It is not uncommon for some DAPs to sound worse with EQ on, even when the EQ is set to 'neutral' / 'flat'.

Dec 29, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #1,993 of 18,020
1, we may release X7 pro which may includes higher memory, how about 128G.

2, There should have 256g mSD card in 2015.

3, Already explain the reason why we choose one mSD card, it is for longer battery life. 
1. YES!!

2. Perhaps.

3. Would turning off WiFi not be an option to maintain battery life? It's common knowledge for consumers that having WiFi on all the time drains the battery quicker. That way the consumer can CHOOSE to drain the battery faster, or not, AND have more storage.

Not to be personal but not everything you want is what everyone wants. BT or wifi is becoming quite popular in flagship daps and is quite useful to some. In regards to sd cards, you can always carry another one and swap it...

Not taken as personal, and perhaps you read too much in my post, as it was more of a suggestion for options.

I am clearly aware that not everyone has the same wants but I'm simply pointing out that perhaps FiiO can satisfy more people with being able to have WiFi and 2 mSD slots and not just blindly consider everyone wants WiFi full time, because I'm sure many would simply turn it off.

I am also very clear on the popularity of BT and WiFi and think it's smart of FiiO to include them in a modern DAP. Personally, I will gladly work around any perceived shortcomings with the DAP as long as the SQ is as expected or better for the price.

Again, I'm just making suggestions regarding such concerns, though personally I would prefer to have 2 slots like in my X5 as it's quite handy for me. Then again with 64 or 128 gb internal storage I'd also be happy.

Trust me, I'm not too picky other than SQ. :wink:

Dec 29, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #1,995 of 18,020
piotrekfronc you realize that SLR cameras use magnesium for the frame which is then covered in plastic. What you are feeling is a hard plastic coating or plastic forms over a frame.

Also, as mentioned, magnesium alloy is much more expensive than aluminum and would be too cost prohibitive to use in the X7 within the projected price.

The aluminum finish on the X5 is very nice, resists scratching, and is as sturdy as a tank. If FiiO goes the same route for the X7 I'd be very happy. Please don't judge the final product based on a quick engineer sample. And please, let the magnesium alloy argument rest, we've heard your opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back