FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Aug 3, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #601 of 18,020
My dream DAP would have a DAC on par with the Hugo (based on reports comparing it favourably over desktop setups), an amp stage as good as or better than E12DIY with HA-5002 buffer and OPA627 or Muses op amp, plenty of storage (i.e. 500gb+  if we're talking dreams), unlimited library capacity, and full playlist support. Line out, HP out and coax are all I ever use, but other connectivity options are fine if they don't reduce quality or add too much size / weight.

I would personally prefer a portable that was brilliant with the most sensitive of IEMs (i.e. Shures, FitEars, etc.) than had heaps of power for inefficient full size 'phones (e.g. planars). If it can truly do both then that's completely fine of course. Zero noise, zero crosstalk (or nearly), and a clean, neutral (not analytical) sound would be great.

It would need a simple, snappy UI that's easy to quickly navigate through an extensive library via artist, album, genre, or song title (using the actual song title, not the file name which might include disc / track numbers).

WiFi and streaming capabilities aren't necessary for me, but would be nice if it didn't cost in terms of size, sound, or weight.

Aug 3, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #602 of 18,020
My dream DAP would have a DAC on par with the Hugo (based on reports comparing it favourably over desktop setups), an amp stage as good as or better than E12DIY with HA-5002 buffer and OPA627 or Muses op amp, plenty of storage (i.e. 500gb+  if we're talking dreams), unlimited library capacity, and full playlist support. Line out, HP out and coax are all I ever use, but other connectivity options are fine if they don't reduce quality or add too much size / weight.

I would personally prefer a portable that was brilliant with the most sensitive of IEMs (i.e. Shures, FitEars, etc.) than had heaps of power for inefficient full size 'phones (e.g. planars). If it can truly do both then that's completely fine of course. Zero noise, zero crosstalk (or nearly), and a clean, neutral (not analytical) sound would be great.

It would need a simple, snappy UI that's easy to quickly navigate through an extensive library via artist, album, genre, or song title (using the actual song title, not the file name which might include disc / track numbers).

WiFi and streaming capabilities aren't necessary for me, but would be nice if it didn't cost in terms of size, sound, or weight.

A very well thought out, reasonable, and in my opinion perfect DAP.

Aug 4, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #604 of 18,020
I would buy an x7 if it had this:

1) better battery life than x5. Say 15 to 20 hours.
2) more storage options. Either 4 micro sd slots or best of all: easy connection to a RECOMMENDED
512 or 1 tb ssd drive. Very tired of reading fiio's responses about not knowing what ssd's or usb sticks will or will not work with x5. They made an OTG option but have no clue what works with it. ???? I should not have to be asking everyone in a forum for their personal success stories on what Otg method worked for them. Someone gets it to work, next guy with same brand doesn't get it to work. ???? I don't want fiio telling me "otg only works with certain usb controllers, giving me a list of them, but zero info on what brand of usb stick or ssd drive actually works with the x5. They should know this. They should have tested ssd's and usb sticks to see what works.

I have a collection hitting 800 gbs currently and it would be nice if I could access it all instead of constantly dragging or deleting files onto 64 gig micro cards on the x5, deleting files to make room.
3) faster file transfer times via cable. My transfer rate from pc to x5 hooked directly via supplied usb cable is barely 4mb! Takes forever to load files, especially when a flac album can be 500 mb. I have no interest in constantly removing cards from the x5 and loading files with a card reader. The micro cards in x5 are much harder to remove than x3. Did not like these micro card covers at all, very hard to remove, and once you use the silicone case, it is even more of a hassle taking micro cards out of the x5. Once micros are in the x5, they stay there, so at least 4 slots in x7 would be great.
4) smaller and lighter. X5 is too bulky to be used as a walk around portable, fine at home, but not good for running around. I doubt this will happen, but I got spoiled by sansa clip.
5) faster startup times. 20 seconds on x5 from cold to menu? Too long.
6) lower increment screen power off timer. 30 seconds minimum is too long. X3 could be set to ten seconds, why was this increased on x5? This wastes battery!

Number two alone would be enough for me to buy it, even if it costs $700. All I do now is research ways to increase my storage space options: micro cards, usb sticks, ssd drives...with very little helpful info. All I know for sure is that a 128 micro sd will work, but it's not enough. I want ssd drive connection. Otherwise I have to wait five years until micro sd cards reach 512 GB.

Options for x7 I don't care about:

1) dac via usb. Coax. Never use it in any way other than as a portable with headphones. Have a great home sound system already so the x5 never gets used that way.

Aug 4, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #605 of 18,020
I would buy an x7 if it had this:

1) better battery life than x5. Say 15 to 20 hours.
2) more storage options. Either 4 micro sd slots or best of all: easy connection to a RECOMMENDED
512 or 1 tb ssd drive.
Very tired of reading fiio's responses about not knowing what ssd's or usb sticks will or will not work with x5. They made an OTG option but have no clue what works with it. ???? I should not have to be asking everyone in a forum for their personal success stories on what Otg method worked for them. Someone gets it to work, next guy with same brand doesn't get it to work. ???? I don't want fiio telling me "otg only works with certain usb controllers, giving me a list of them, but zero info on what brand of usb stick or ssd drive actually works with the x5. They should know this. They should have tested ssd's and usb sticks to see what works.

I have a collection hitting 800 gbs currently and it would be nice if I could access it all instead of constantly dragging or deleting files onto 64 gig micro cards on the x5, deleting files to make room.
3) faster file transfer times via cable. My transfer rate from pc to x5 hooked directly via supplied usb cable is barely 4mb! Takes forever to load files, especially when a flac album can be 500 mb. I have no interest in constantly removing cards from the x5 and loading files with a card reader. The micro cards in x5 are much harder to remove than x3. Did not like these micro card covers at all, very hard to remove, and once you use the silicone case, it is even more of a hassle taking micro cards out of the x5. Once micros are in the x5, they stay there, so at least 4 slots in x7 would be great.
4) smaller and lighter. X5 is too bulky to be used as a walk around portable, fine at home, but not good for running around. I doubt this will happen, but I got spoiled by sansa clip.
5) faster startup times. 20 seconds on x5 from cold to menu? Too long.
6) lower increment screen power off timer. 30 seconds minimum is too long. X3 could be set to ten seconds, why was this increased on x5? This wastes battery!

Number two alone would be enough for me to buy it, even if it costs $700. All I do now is research ways to increase my storage space options: micro cards, usb sticks, ssd drives...with very little helpful info. All I know for sure is that a 128 micro sd will work, but it's not enough. I want ssd drive connection. Otherwise I have to wait five years until micro sd cards reach 512 GB.

Options for x7 I don't care about:

1) dac via usb. Coax. Never use it in any way other than as a portable with headphones. Have a great home sound system already so the x5 never gets used that way.

Well, even the ak240 with a price tag of $2500 only holds 384gb max. I don't think your desire for such a large storage capacity (4 memory slots) longer battery life and smaller form factor at a price around $700 are going to happen anytime soon. Especially if you want it to sound good.

As far as OTG and ssd options Android should make this more feasible with compatibility but there are few (if any) options on a hardware standpoint that could play nice with the battery and power requirements, and still be able to power a decent amp section with any sort of respectable runtime. Laws of physics, current tech and all that jazz.

Aug 4, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #606 of 18,020
Please, PLEASE put the line out at the TOP of the player. You don't know how frustrating it can be to have your player sitting in front of your system, and having to twist it around to look at what's playing, particularly with a touchscreen.

Also, if it's Android-based, the option of a Sim card would be good too, it makes listening to Spotify and other similar apps on the go a lot less complicated.

Aug 4, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #607 of 18,020
  Please, PLEASE put the line out at the TOP of the player. You don't know how frustrating it can be to have your player sitting in front of your system, and having to twist it around to look at what's playing, particularly with a touchscreen.

Also, if it's Android-based, the option of a Sim card would be good too, it makes listening to Spotify and other similar apps on the go a lot less complicated

sorry, not SIM card and not 2G/3G/4G, maybe in the future 
cool.gif

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 5, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #608 of 18,020
Hi James already have your fine X5 machine.
Pros
Sound is excellent especially given the very reasonable price.
Good battery life
Fairly good GUI again taking into account Fiio have not been involved in software before.

Cons.

access to the Sd card slots should be better.
Far better software required.
Far better screen, the X5 is hopeless in bright sunlight, I have to move to the shade, take of my polarised sunglasses just to be able to barely make out the OSD! 

So my Dreams for the X7

Even better sound quality
Better GUI (i think your use of android will be the correct thing)
OLED screen perhaps? does not have to be touch screen.
Better File management (again android will probably help here and save Fiio time developing software in house.

Really love the X5 and look forward to the X7

Aug 5, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #609 of 18,020

Also, if it's Android-based, the option of a Sim card would be good too, it makes listening to Spotify and other similar apps on the go a lot less complicated.

The SIM card antenna could cause interference on the playback. I would rather them focus on adding better audio playback components than a sim card slot. Even an extra MicroSD card slot would be preferred over a sim card slot. WiFi is enough. Most cell phones with web access have the ability to be a mobile hotspot.

Aug 6, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #613 of 18,020

+1

Aug 7, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #614 of 18,020
James, you already made X5 different from the others using the PCM1792 (and won my heart as well).
I really would love to see X7 out the factory powered by an AKM beast like AK4490, I truly don't care about if the screen is brighter or the UI is beautiful, most of the times when In listening to music I don't even look at the player. I like this kind of things as simple as possible (I use audirvana at my mac , and used many years foobar on win). Please use an analog volume control (like dragonfly or even better MUSES would be a great idea). I don't want a new cellphone , I want a trully remarkable player and Im saving 1k or more for that

Regards!

Aug 7, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #615 of 18,020
Size:
Not really that important, but wouldn't recommend making a player bigger than the X5. I don't use it when running etc. anyway because I use my big headset with it, but it should fit reasonably well in a jeans pocket (X5 barely does).

Volume control:
Prefer analogue, but it has to be like the AK240 and not the other AKs where it "sticks out". My "hold" button fell off the X3. Never good when things sticks out of the main frame.

Screen:
Don't really care too much, but as others have mentioned it would be nice if it was easier to read in sunlight. My impression is that the X5 is slightly better than the X3 in that respect (X3 was useless).

Controls:
X5 is fine. I do wonder how long the wheel will last though.

Software:
Don't really care. It feels like the X5 is from the mid 90s, but I rather see FiiO spending its money/resources on other things than the software.

Card reader:
Annoying how it slightly "sticks out" on the X3. Much better on the X5 even if I prefer a "slot" rather than the rubber protection.

Frame:
Like it both on the X3 and the X5. Lighter is better, but as with size not really that important.

Power:
One of the key benefits of the X3 and X5 is the power. Definitely don't need an amp with a headset like the B&W P7. Keep it like that.

Battery:
More is better, but to me the X5 is already quite good.

Sound:
What really matters. Please don't try to make a poor fancy FiiO "ipad touch". It took years for Nokia to develop anything half decent in terms of touch screens. Probably easier now, but for me I would not pay many euros extra for a touch screen compared to the current set-up.

What would I pay for compared to the X5? If you made something that is smaller, better battery and better sounding I would consider upgrading in a couple of years. And I would like it if the screen was easier to read in sunlight etc. Would I buy a X7 if you made it touch screen and updated the software to be "better" and/or fancier (assuming everything else staid more or less the same)? Absolutely not.

Keep making good value for money great sounding players and I'll keep on buying them. FiiO is definitely a breath of fresh air at the moment in this segment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back