FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Jun 26, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #467 of 18,019
James,

I would rather you reduce screen size to 3" and use full sized SD or dual microSD slot. Many people here prefer full sized SD as it is cheaper for more storage. If you want to make a "dream" DAP, you cannot go with just one microSD slot - because that is so standard typical of what most brands are offering. Also "high resolution" music takes up more storage space.

Also I personally don't see the point of having a big screen on a music player. I would rather use my smartphone/tablet if I want video or giant high res album art.

Jun 26, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #468 of 18,019

Bear in mind that 2 TBs is only a theoretical maximum, one that assumes ideal conditions. There are several technical complications involved in achieving maximum capacity, and it will likely be quite a while before the consumer market has access to it. (It's entirely possible the SDXC specification wouldn't even be used.) Consider, for instance, the delay in releasing 128 GB mico-SD. These cards are harder to produce than previous generations, partly because the smaller size necessitates a different internal configuration.

The same can be said for the 256gb SD card. The 256gb card was made available a few months before the 128gb micro was released.

Jun 26, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #469 of 18,019

thanks, maybe only one Micro SD slot, all depended on the build in memory. 

I can't understand. built in memory has its limitation. Please allow two slots minimum. X5 has two slots. I think X7 shouldn't degenerate from that option.
Expensive high resolution players are all about storage. These FLAC files aren't small as mp3 or wma files. 1 album can be 1GB. Please consider this.
I'd remove built-in memory and allow more memory card slots. By mid 2015, I'm sure there will be a 512GB SD card on sale for 300 dollars. 

5,000 mah battery is a great idea. All of current DAP has average 8 hours of battery life. I think it can be improved a lot by putting a bigger sized battery. There will be something really good by 2015.

Please put a 1/4 inch headphone output. 95% of high end headphones on this planet come with a 1/4 inch jack. I think it should be included along side a 3.5 mm stereo jack.

Also, wifi music streaming function from computer or portable wifi HDD would be incredible. For instance, AK120 II can access to a portable wifi HDD device via wifi and can play music from it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CSFCYFY/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3RJNQO8PQ21MT

take a look at this device. This cheap device can transfer files from any 2.5 inch portable HDD via WIFI. If X7 can access to this type of wifi device and stream music from it, storage of X7 can be limitless. 

Jun 27, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #470 of 18,019
I see it like this..........

When creating a DAP there are trade offs between size, power and audio quality. If you want a more powerful amp you will sacrifice battery life. If you want more space dedicated to storage you have less space for audio components. It's a fine line that any engineer will have to balance to meet the needs of the designer and quite often the two have different goals and concerns.

Two SD slots would be wonderful but would take up more space and leave less for the battery or audio components, or things like wifi. If the X7 included every feature being asked it just might end up being 8x4x3", but it would sound great, last for a week, be able to store 2TB and drive the HE-6 easily.

Also consider that James said built in memory and not storage. Perhaps because of things like the 5800 song limit on the X5 they are considering more RAM (memory), which takes up space. Personally I'd be happy with one SD slot or two micro SD slots, but I think that some space should be dedicated to more RAM to ease some of the limitations in their current DAPs.

Jun 27, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #471 of 18,019
I see it like this..........

When creating a DAP there are trade offs between size, power and audio quality. If you want a more powerful amp you will sacrifice battery life. If you want more space dedicated to storage you have less space for audio components. It's a fine line that any engineer will have to balance to meet the needs of the designer and quite often the two have different goals and concerns.

Two SD slots would be wonderful but would take up more space and leave less for the battery or audio components, or things like wifi. If the X7 included every feature being asked it just might end up being 8x4x3", but it would sound great, last for a week, be able to store 2TB and drive the HE-6 easily.

Also consider that James said built in memory and not storage. Perhaps because of things like the 5800 song limit on the X5 they are considering more RAM (memory), which takes up space. Personally I'd be happy with one SD slot or two micro SD slots, but I think that some space should be dedicated to more RAM to ease some of the limitations in their current DAPs.

If its going to be android based then a good amount of ram is needed.

Back to the storage, its a matter of getting a single memory chip so it wouldn't take much space. I would be surprised if there is more than 64gb on the X7.

Jun 27, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #472 of 18,019
If we need a large storage, it implies a larger touch screen so to make it practical for navigation. Scroll wheel will not be so ideal. I have been using onkyo HF and I think the UI is fantastic (note that i am comparing it with HM-901 type primtive UI). Maybe AK240 is already as good in terms of UI...

Jun 27, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #474 of 18,019
What I see here is a number of different opinions, which is quite good.
But if You (James) want to create "specs" for next DAP, its also useful to look at the evolution of devices in category of "portable media players" (like iPod Touch or Galaxy Player).
Personally, I wouldn't mind to see X7 as this kind of device - especially if You already considering ~4" screen.
A step ahead (on this path) will be even bigger screen (>=4,5") - like the "evolution" of smartphones (iphone or others). You can see this trend also in audio market (screen of AK240 - much bigger then usual 2.X" on some DAP's)
In this case, the most important is software, a "unlocked" android + wifi to give a lot of options for users.

Jun 27, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #475 of 18,019
  sorry not SD card but Micro SD card, there are not so many room for the big SD slot.  we have to try to put a 3.97 inch screen with a 5000mAh battery into X7.

James Great
wink_face.gif

Welcomes the large-capacity battery. (5000mAh)
Improve sound quality.

comfortable Screen. (3.97inch)
Touch panel? Test of the response is very important in this case.
response is poor → STRESS

I hope also to Bluetooth remote control.

Capacity is sufficient.
Dual microSD 128G × 2
USB OTG: OTG → microSDReader 128G
Possible to operate the 385G.
bigsmile_face.gif

I look forward to.
beerchug.gif

Jun 27, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #477 of 18,019
About the features, it should be unlimited cause most should depended on the firmware or App. but I think X7 will have a very decent hardware, and there are some secret weapon for X7, 

hope we can bring some total new thing to this market but not just follow iDevice.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jun 27, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #478 of 18,019
James,

I would rather you reduce screen size to 3" and use full sized SD or dual microSD slot. Many people here prefer full sized SD as it is cheaper for more storage. If you want to make a "dream" DAP, you cannot go with just one microSD slot - because that is so standard typical of what most brands are offering. Also "high resolution" music takes up more storage space.

Also I personally don't see the point of having a big screen on a music player. I would rather use my smartphone/tablet if I want video or giant high res album art.

sorry, it is very difficult to us to purchase 3'' touch screen. in fact, the best size should be 3.2'' 640X480 touch screen. now we can only use the screen which made for smartphone. and it become very difficult to us to make

it looks not like a smartphone. too sad! 
blink.gif

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jun 27, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #479 of 18,019
About the features, it should be unlimited cause most should depended on the firmware or App. but I think X7 will have a very decent hardware, and there are some secret weapon for X7

hope we can bring some total new thing to this market but not just follow iDevice.

Ooooooooohhhhhhhhh secret weapon!!

Jun 27, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #480 of 18,019

Please put a 1/4 inch headphone output. 95% of high end headphones on this planet come with a 1/4 inch jack. I think it should be included along side a 3.5 mm stereo jack.

+10000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back