FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
May 2, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #11,536 of 18,020
  I want to pull the trigger on a X7 + AM2, (im having a iBasso DX50 + E12A) so i want the AM2 to keep the tonality from the Muses.
My question is, in mexico, where can i order them?
Thanks in advanced

I'm selling that combo in the classifieds if you want to chat

May 3, 2016 at 2:01 AM Post #11,537 of 18,020
There's been a recent surge in interest in DAPs with touch screens, high end specs and multiple connectivity. One of the best is the Onkyo DP-X1. Take a good look at it I've just bought it after being one of the first to buy the X5 1st and 2nd gen. Couldn't handle the clunky library browsing and severe lag (2nd Gen) with large song lists. Must admit, loved the sound. Still listen to them on and off.
DP-X1 has amazing wifi and Bluetooth connectivity.

May 3, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #11,538 of 18,020
@Blommen I have the same issue with music pausing for 5-7 seconds. It's very odd, but if I don't use the player for a day, it works without issue for many hours, than starts up again. It's so odd. I was told by Fiio, it will be fixed in the next update. Other than that, I love this player.

Are you really sure of this? I have been dealing with FiiO about this issue for more than 4 months and last time they recommended to get a replacement device.
It didn't look like they have a reliable way of reproducing this problem, which would allow them to fix it in the next FW.

May 4, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #11,539 of 18,020
Hi,
Since yesterday my x7 (am1) keeps powering off in the middle of a song. It did that to me almost 4 times. I had the idle poweroff set at 10 min. This morning I have turned the idlepoweroff completely and for now it seems to have solved the problem. Hope someone at FIIO takes note. I was playing my x7 at very low volume (14) at low gain with my se846. I have not encountered this problem before with the same settings with my other earphones. 

May 4, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #11,540 of 18,020
Hi,
Since yesterday my x7 (am1) keeps powering off in the middle of a song. It did that to me almost 4 times. I had the idle poweroff set at 10 min. This morning I have turned the idlepoweroff completely and for now it seems to have solved the problem. Hope someone at FIIO takes note. I was playing my x7 at very low volume (14) at low gain with my se846. I have not encountered this problem before with the same settings with my other earphones. 

Yes, same problem, same solution. Others have reported it too so it happens with different earphones and volumes.

I would love to trigger idlepower on again but for now I will let it off obviously

They will fix it, they will fix it, fix, fix it. We want firmware 2.0 asap

Regards

May 4, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #11,541 of 18,020
Hi everyone, new to the site but I own the sony zx2 and jhaudio angie

I feel I need a new source to drive my jhaudio angie, in general I like the sound of the sony zx2 but I feel it lacks in power

Can anyone compare the zx2 and fiio x7 in general

Cheers 

May 4, 2016 at 4:53 AM Post #11,542 of 18,020

I feel I need a new source to drive my jhaudio angie, in general I like the sound of the sony zx2 but I feel it lacks in power

Cheers 

I can't speak from my own experience as I've never heard the ZX2 but I've read few posts here that favored the X7 over ZX2 and other way around, I think it's up to the taste of the listener at this point. One thing we can by sure off is that on paper X7 has much more power even on low gain with it's weakest amp (the bundled AM1) than ZX2 and if it's still not enough to you you can go up to AM5 that provides something like 30 times the power of ZX2, just keep in mind you won't get anywhere near the same battery life with X7 full size DAC, class A amp and output power wreck the battery :wink:.

May 4, 2016 at 4:58 AM Post #11,543 of 18,020
  I can't speak from my own experience as I've never heard the ZX2 but I've read few posts here that favored the X7 over ZX2 and other way around, I think it's up to the taste of the listener at this point. One thing we can by sure off is that on paper X7 has much more power even on low gain with it's weakest amp (the bundled AM1) than ZX2 and if it's still not enough to you you can go up to AM5 that provides something like 30 times the power of ZX2, just keep in mind you won't get anywhere near the same battery life with X7 full size DAC, class A amp and output power wreck the battery :wink:.

Thanks so much for this recommendation, that is really what I am after, as soon I will buy a headphone as well, so having the ability to change amps is a great idea.

As to be honest I did not like the idea that I have to use an amp with my zx2, as that would make it a bit uncomfortable to carry around

I might seriously look into buying the fiio x7 then. Does anyone here own the jhaudio angie's and fiio x7?

Cheers

May 4, 2016 at 5:04 AM Post #11,544 of 18,020

Cheers 

i tried few fiio x7, owned one, returned it back. bought zx2 instead of fiio x7:
- all x7 i tried - had audible noise floor. zx2 don't.
- zx2 have better management/control system (buttons!).
- zx2 have more internal space.
- zx2 have kinda better internals. we have TI chip instead of chinese few year old rockchip (which is normally undocumented and most of the time vendors does not even have sources for it)
- bad experience with FIIO as chinese company - they just refuse to comply with GPL2. didn't tried to contact sony support yet but they're known to be cooperative.
- x7 have proper usb port instead of zx2 proprientary wm-port.
- zx2 have better battery life.
- can x7 power iems, headphones with balanced connection and big stationary headphones out of box? zx2 can!
- x7 have aftersale solution to power mid-power/high-power/balanced headphones saving some space and replacing amp that was shipped with x7. zx2 require bulky builds with external amp if you find that internal amp is not enough.
- i managed to catch a lot of radio/mobile/etc noise with x7. no issues like that with zx2.

May 4, 2016 at 5:09 AM Post #11,545 of 18,020
  Thanks so much for this recommendation, that is really what I am after, as soon I will buy a headphone as well, so having the ability to change amps is a great idea.

As to be honest I did not like the idea that I have to use an amp with my zx2, as that would make it a bit uncomfortable to carry around

I might seriously look into buying the fiio x7 then. Does anyone here own the jhaudio angie's and fiio x7?

Cheers

X7 should work quite well with Angie. I found the Angie somewhat energetic and high-mid focused (more vivid sounding) compared to the other JH models, so it would pair nicely with the X7's precise and linear sound. Also a few people commented that X7 could do better with a bit more bass (which is what ZX2 is good at), but Angie has the bass adjustment dial so that solves the problem.

One thing to be careful of is to choose the X7 amp module carefully. Don't just assume the AM2/AM5 sounds better because it says high power. In fact at low impedance (Angie < 17 ohms) the AM1 module has higher output power (both higher voltage and higher current) than the other amp modules. Hence it's called the IEM module. The sound will be more linear on the AM1, whereas AM2 and AM5 can slightly colour the JH sound since each BA driver will be driven at different power.

ZX2 is also aimed to be decent with low impedance IEMs (e.g. better drive than AK240 etc) but it struggles to get any voltage gain to drive high impedance headphones so it won't be very versatile. Basically Sony's put a voltage cap to ensure the amp never distorts and runs ruler flat irrespective of impedance, whereas other DAP makers aim to go as high gain as possible, even that means clipping in certain circumstances.

X7 takes best of both worlds with the choice of amp modules, as long as you are happy with how it sounds.

May 4, 2016 at 5:26 AM Post #11,547 of 18,020
  i tried few fiio x7, owned one, returned it back. bought zx2 instead of fiio x7:
- all x7 i tried - had audible noise floor. zx2 don't.
- zx2 have better management/control system (buttons!).
- zx2 have more internal space.
- zx2 have kinda better internals. we have TI chip instead of chinese few year old rockchip (which is normally undocumented and most of the time vendors does not even have sources for it)
- bad experience with FIIO as chinese company - they just refuse to comply with GPL2. didn't tried to contact sony support yet but they're known to be cooperative.
- x7 have proper usb port instead of zx2 proprientary wm-port.
- zx2 have better battery life.
- can x7 power iems, headphones with balanced connection and big stationary headphones out of box? zx2 can!
- x7 have aftersale solution to power mid-power/high-power/balanced headphones saving some space and replacing amp that was shipped with x7. zx2 require bulky builds with external amp if you find that internal amp is not enough.
- i managed to catch a lot of radio/mobile/etc noise with x7. no issues like that with zx2.

Let the hate flow, lol. So many false statments and I don't know why

"- all x7 i tried - had audible noise floor. zx2 don't." - not true, you will hear 16bit floor waaaaaaaay before you can hear any noise flor from X7 and 24bit tracks are completely silent even at full volume. It's background is black as moonless night and many reviews confirm this.

"- zx2 have kinda better internals. we have TI chip instead of chinese few year old rockchip" - yea because CPU is more important in audio player than DAC. 

"- bad experience with FIIO as chinese company - they just refuse to comply with GPL2." - they use vanilla android with custom driver, nothing to share here as they dom't modify any android sources.

"- can x7 power iems, headphones with balanced connection and big stationary headphones out of box? zx2 can!" no it cant. With 15mv per channel ZX2 can bearly power IEMs and the balanced output of ZX2 is not true balanced out. ZX2 can't power big headphones, X7 sounds quite well with AM1 and HD650s

"-- i managed to catch a lot of radio/mobile/etc noise with x7. no issues like that with zx2." - that is trully largest issue with X7. the EMI noise that some units get when streaming WiFi etc. But FiiO offers replacement or refunds for units that have this problem.

Ok now I am confused the last 2 posts contradict each other.

I did not expect this, I truly appreciate both answers, and I have to educate myself more to know what I need.

Cheers 

Don't mind damex he's on some kind of fanboy rampage.

May 4, 2016 at 5:36 AM Post #11,549 of 18,020
Thanks ClassicGod for this answer and reply.

I for one am looking to replace my dap, so I guess with the x7 and its amp modules I might be a bit happier.

I thought getting answers would be straight forward, but it seems there is so much to learn and understand

Cheers

May 4, 2016 at 5:45 AM Post #11,550 of 18,020
Thanks ClassicGod for this answer and reply.

I for one am looking to replace my dap, so I guess with the x7 and its amp modules I might be a bit happier.

I thought getting answers would be straight forward, but it seems there is so much to learn and understand

Cheers

You are going to get a lot of different answers depending on the users preferences and experience with each piece of gear used, or the breadth of gear the user has experience with. When you can find a common point of reference that match your tastes then you will be better equipped to read and interpret if the advice is going to synchronize with your tastes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back