FiiO X5 proposed new functionality: add whole folders to playlist; auto-advance playback through folders
Jul 10, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #16 of 48
Isn't that something we need to do the other way round and import from the X3 now?
tongue.gif

Jejejeje yes, this would be little love from the X3 to the X5

Great move by the way, this should minimize the issues with the micro SDCards

Jul 10, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #17 of 48
Dear all,

On behalf of FiiO, I'm pleased to announce that the following new functions are in the planning stage for the X5:
-Play selected folder
-Delete whole folder
-Add whole folder to playlist
-Auto-advance from the last song in one folder to the first song in the next folder

The planned user interface workflow is presented here for your preview and critique.
smily_headphones1.gif

*SNIP*

Best regards,
Joseph Yeung, for James
FiiO

This is absolutely FANTASTIC news and would address what I consider the last remaining weaknesses in the UI...as long as...the tracks within the folders still play in order and the folders play in order and songs aren't reshuffled within the playlists!  I have eight albums I like to play in order from one to eight on a playlist and if I can do that on the X5 then my DX90 will be relegated to the for-sale forum.
wink_face.gif

Cheers and Thanks!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jul 10, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #18 of 48
I'm delighted to hear about the auto advance function.  That's all I need - if I get that I won't need any playlists;  I can just plug it in to the aux connector when I'm in my car and the music will keep flowing!

Jul 12, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #19 of 48
So, will the auto-advance playback work this way:

When coming to the end of the  last song in the choosed  folder to play, will it automatically jump to play the song´s in the next folder (without having an playlist), so it will play the entire card´s song´s in a row (until the battery drain out)?

Or do I have to go in to the menu screen every time to switch between folders, as it will stop playing in the end of each folder?

Another Head-fi member replied this to me about this question, but I´m not shure it´s correct for what I explained above:

In the category menu the first option above play by Album and Artist and Genre is All Songs. The organization isn't the best as it lists all songs alphabetically, so if you have track numbers at the beginning of your file names it will list all 01 songs, then all 02 songs, and so on (good enough for shuffle though).

With FW 2.02 beta there is an option that plays all songs by artist grouped by album, and it works perfectly so there is hope they can adjust the behaviour of listing songs. However, the later beta FW versions have regressed to listing the songs alphabetically in the Play All by Artist subcategory.

/ Mikael Markstrom

Jul 14, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #23 of 48
So, will the auto-advance playback work this way:

When coming to the end of the  last song in the choosed  folder to play, will it automatically jump to play the song´s in the next folder (without having an playlist), so it will play the entire card´s song´s in a row (until the battery drain out)?

Or do I have to go in to the menu screen every time to switch between folders, as it will stop playing in the end of each folder?

Another Head-fi member replied this to me about this question, but I´m not shure it´s correct for what I explained above:

In the category menu the first option above play by Album and Artist and Genre is All Songs. The organization isn't the best as it lists all songs alphabetically, so if you have track numbers at the beginning of your file names it will list all 01 songs, then all 02 songs, and so on (good enough for shuffle though).

With FW 2.02 beta there is an option that plays all songs by artist grouped by album, and it works perfectly so there is hope they can adjust the behaviour of listing songs. However, the later beta FW versions have regressed to listing the songs alphabetically in the Play All by Artist subcategory.

/ Mikael Markstrom

The auto-advance function (and, for that matter, anything contained in the opening post of this thread) is functionality proposed for people's critique. As in, we're sure everyone would love having functions to select whole folders for playback and adding them all to folders, and auto-advancing function, but the devil is in the details, for example, we're several firmware revisions into the new playlist function and are still busy undoing some programming choices that turned out to be not quite what users want. So a graphical mock-up, if you will, is being placed here for users' critique in advance of the hard work of actually programming in the functions, which are not yet available in existing firmwares. :smile:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 15, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #24 of 48
When the next firmware will be available? Not beta one..

Jul 15, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #25 of 48
I remembered contacting FiiO a few months back and this was not in consideration yet at that point of time - Glad it is now! Now I have a good reason to get myself a FiiO X5. :)

Jul 17, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #26 of 48
A few suggestions for the X5 dev's. (I know its only my opinion but I feel like these idea's could be useful).

-At the moment, a long press of the shortcut button or back button while a song is playing has the same effect, you're taken back to the main menu while the music continues to play. Having two buttons with the same function seems like a waste of UI utilisation. What if there where two different popup menu's for the shortcut button? One short press for adding to favourites, adding to a playlist etc and a long press for an alternative menu, or vice versa.

-A feature that would be nice would be the ability to add a song to favourites or a playlist without having to play it. Perhaps taking the above suggestion into account, a long press of the shortcut button while browsing songs could bring up an option to add the highlighted song to favourites or a playlist. That way X5 users could add new favourites and create playlists without the need to constantly skip songs.

-Another feature that the X5 seems to be lacking is scroll wheel sensitivity adjustment in player settings. I've read allot of posts where people have commented on the scroll wheel being inaccurate and giving the user the ability to set it how he/she likes would appease allot of people.

-A light/dark theme option would be helpful. The current theme is a bit too dark for driving.

-The Welcome/See you screens aren't necessary, they make the device seem cheap to me. I'd be happier if the Fiio logo was the only on/off screen and if it needs a title, loading/shutting down feels more streamlined.

Jul 18, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #27 of 48
Another thing I noticed with firmware 2.07 that is a little concerning. (I know its only my opinion but I feel like these idea's could be useful).

-Normally you can navigate up and down the UI with the two forward/back buttons below the scroll wheel but when you're in the system settings and play settings menu's, the forward/back buttons function change and the only way to navigate up and down these menu's is by using the scroll wheel.
Considering the scroll wheel is mechanical and probably the most likely part of the device to fail (apart from the battery), this is concerning. Being able to use every aspect of the device without the scroll wheel would be a positive. What if -while in system/play settings menu's- the scroll wheel is set to change the volume, the volume buttons are for changing the settings and the forward/back buttons are for navigating up/down the UI?
The same concept would need to be applied to the equaliser menu, although I'm not entirely sure how just yet.
That would mean that 100% of the UI can be navigated without the scroll wheel.

It also means that if an X5 scroll wheel breaks out of warranty, the device can still be used in its entirety. Customers with broken scroll wheels are less likely to be as upset about it, thus less likely to complain and give the device (Fiio) negative feedback.

-I didn't understand why the volume needs to dip when I enable the equaliser. However, I under stand now.

-When the lock screen is on, the volume buttons have a second function.
up = short press turns the volume up and long press repeats the track or previous track.
down = short press turns the volume down and long press skips to the next track.
This feels counter intuitive, it confused my girlfriend too. It feels like next track should be long press up.

-Scrolling the main menu feels clunky. I assume its due to a lack of animations. Obviously most of us here would prefer a snappier UI than fancy animations but if it could be implemented without impacting on feel or (most importantly) sound, a smoother main menu would be nice.

Jul 19, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #28 of 48
  Another thing I noticed with firmware 2.07 that is a little concerning. (I know its only my opinion but I feel like these idea's could be useful).

-Normally you can navigate up and down the UI with the two forward/back buttons below the scroll wheel but when you're in the system settings and play settings menu's, the forward/back buttons function change and the only way to navigate up and down these menu's is by using the scroll wheel.
Considering the scroll wheel is mechanical and probably the most likely part of the device to fail (apart from the battery), this is concerning. Being able to use every aspect of the device without the scroll wheel would be a positive. What if -while in system/play settings menu's- the scroll wheel is set to change the volume, the volume buttons are for changing the settings and the forward/back buttons are for navigating up/down the UI?
The same concept would need to be applied to the equaliser menu, although I'm not entirely sure how just yet.

It also means that if an X5 scroll wheel breaks out of warranty, the device can still be used in its entirety. Customers with broken scroll wheels are less likely to be as upset about it, thus less likely to complain and give the device (Fiio) negative feedback.

-I don't understand why the volume needs to dip when I enable the equaliser. For people like me with planar magnetic headphones with high ohms (75 ohm's for my LCD2's), I've normally got the volume at around 75/80 on high gain. When I turn the equaliser on, I've found myself turning the volume up to around 85/90 on high gain. It feels like I'm being penalised for using an equaliser. 

up = short press turns the volume up and long press repeats the track or previous track.
down = short press turns the volume down and long press skips to the next track.
This feels counter intuitive, it confused my girlfriend too. It feels like next track should be long press up.

-Scrolling the main menu feels clunky. I assume its due to a lack of animations. Obviously most of us here would prefer a snappier UI than fancy animations but if it could be implemented without impacting on feel or (most importantly) sound, a smoother main menu would be nice.

The alternative would be clipping causing the sound to get distorted and edgy, and severe clipping can even kill drivers so best to avoid it.

Jul 20, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #30 of 48

-I didn't understand why the volume needs to dip when I enable the equaliser. However, I under stand now.

+1 on reversing the next and previous track selection on the volume controls in lock mode.
Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back